Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Compare that to a mouse sized hockey brain named Alex Galchenyuk. Fast and furious with a heavy wrist shot. But cant process information.

That's the difference between good drafting and bad drafting.

1. Galchenyuk and "fast" in the same sentence? No.

2. The flip side of "bad drafting" in context with Galchenyuk is if Bergevin doesn't listen to Timmins, we're running Reilly-Weber on our first pairing as of 3 years ago. Bad judgment call, should have acted on his initial thoughts I guess.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

2. The flip side of "bad drafting" in context with Galchenyuk is if Bergevin doesn't listen to Timmins, we're running Reilly-Weber on our first pairing as of 3 years ago. Bad judgment call, should have acted on his initial thoughts I guess.

I don't know the details. I've heard Bergevin wanted Reill . But did he want him as in he thought he was BPA? or did he want him over going for the organizational need at center?
That's a different question. Everything I've heard is all of management were looking to fill the organizational need at center with that draft.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Suzuki isn't available at all. The last 10 games or so he's been arguably our most consistent forward with Gallagher and Tatar, he's constantly improving, has been surprisingly strong two-way at center and he's showing some pretty nice skill and production to go alongside a gamer's mentality, something invaluable in a young player. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't trade him 1-for-1 for any player on the Wild right now, with the possible exception of Kaprizov if he ever comes over.

If everything goes well with Suzuki and he continues on his rapid improvement, he could be a first-liner, something we need a lot more than a guy like Brodin given our team makeup, even though Brodin is a reaaly good player as you've said.

Similarly, Domi is also not available for Brodin as things stand right now. Domi is a bit reckless and has had some troubles producing offense at points in the season, but he is still a very important part of the core of our team in the years to come, just had 72 points last year, and should be good for 55+ this year despite his struggles. Not only is he a big fan favorite, he thrives in Montreal, revels in the media attention and exhibits toughness and dedication to the game that should see him continue to excel here for years to come ala Gallagher. He is not perfect, and we could ultimately trade him if it benefited us, but it would need to be in a package for an upgrade at forward that's around the same age or very slightly older, or a more skilled defenseman than Brodin, assets that the Wild do not have to trade us.

In that sense, we have some really good prospects in the pipeline at LHD in Romanov, Norlinder, Harris and Struble. At least one of those guys should be a strong presence on D for us in two-three years, with Romanov being the most likely suspect, so even though LD is our primary need this year and in the short-term future (alongside more talent at forward and upwards progression by our youngsters), it isn't a long-term need for us, or at least not a pressing need anymore given our prospects, Mete's improvement and Chiarot's surprising level of play.

We are also not good enough to go for it this year while mortgaging our future, and acquiring Brodin at the expense of one of our good young forwards just isn't the right move right now from that perspective.

Provided things stay the same, the best option would be to try and make the playoffs with our team as is, or maybe with a small addition, get some experience going, and then maybe go for it in a couple of years, once our top prospects like KK, Poehling, Suzuki, Romanov, Caufield and Primeau are ready for elevated opportunities. With another 12 picks in the upcoming draft we will continue increasing the depth of our prospect pool and should be a seriously strong team in a couple of years, moreso if we fall out of a playoff spot and manage to nab Lafrenière.

I'd say Romanov definitely has the greatest potential to become a genuine NHLer, but his upside may be 2nd pairing D at best. I'm really interested by the skill set displayed by Norlinder but, his arrival in the NHL could be longer range than Romanov. Whether he sticks at that level or not remains to be seen/proven but, the ceiling is higher than Romanov, I think.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'd say Romanov definitely has the greatest potential to become a genuine NHLer, but his upside may be 2nd pairing D at best. I'm really interested by the skill set displayed by Norlinder but, his arrival in the NHL could be longer range than Romanov. Whether he sticks at that level or not remains to be seen/proven but, the ceiling is higher than Romanov, I think.
Time will tell but based on what I have seen since last year I highly doubt Norlinder will surpass Romanov

Reactions: jaffy27

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I don't know the details. I've heard Bergevin wanted Reill . But did he want him as in he thought he was BPA? or did he want him over going for the organizational need at center?
That's a different question. Everything I've heard is all of management were looking to fill the organizational need at center with that draft.

In a BPA way yes, that was my understanding. Need overruled BPA, Timmins leading the charge. Had scouting & decision-making at the draft been above average in the last decade, we'd be in the middle of our Cup window or looking to re-tool to initiate another one soon (of course just my opinion).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In a BPA way yes, that was my understanding. Need overruled BPA, Timmins leading the charge. Had scouting & decision-making at the draft been above average in the last decade, we'd be in the middle of our Cup window or looking to re-tool to initiate another one soon (of course just my opinion).

How do you know Timmins is leading the charge to draft for need over BPA?

It seems that's more of a GM decision. For example, MB's philosophy is that it's better to trade down to get two chances to land a good player. He said that in an interview. That's why we're always trading down. That's MB's mandate, not Timmins' decision.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
How do you know Timmins is leading the charge to draft for need over BPA?

It seems that's more of a GM decision. For example, MB's philosophy is that it's better to trade down to get two chances to land a good player. He said that in an interview. That's why we're always trading down. That's MB's mandate, not Timmins' decision.

I see Timmins as Bergevin's 2IC, the 2nd in command if you will. Strategic objectives such as team needs, short & long term, are dear to the 2IC's heart because he's the primary advisor to MB. I had "(of course just my opinion)" in quotation marks for a reason. Bad judgment on Bergevin's part, but Timmins had to lead the charge when it came to needs IMO. Caufield was a glaring need last summer too.

Edit: cue RW mode for Suzuki tonight. Sync up the rush with Domi and use that wrister.

Reactions: 26Mats

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Apparently Justin Williams will announce in the New Year his interest to sign on for the reminder of the season - Aaron Ward alluded a couple of weeks back it’s not a given he’ll end up back with Canes sounding as if he had inside knowledge.

Habs already tried to sign him twice as UFA, both times Williams saying no because his wife had no interest in Mtl, I could see MB trying again for a third time - using the half season selling point without needing to relocate family.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Apparently Justin Williams will announce in the New Year his interest to sign on for the reminder of the season - Aaron Ward alluded a couple of weeks back it’s not a given he’ll end up back with Canes sounding as if he had inside knowledge.

Habs already tried to sign him twice as UFA, both times Williams saying no because his wife had no interest in Mtl, I could see MB trying again for a third time - using the half season selling point without needing to relocate family.

And this has exactly, what, to do with Suzuki?

Reactions: angusyoung

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Off topic I know but simply responding to 26Mats post

If we had signed players who were available without giving up assets like Duclair, Perron, Dzingle, Skinner, etc... we'd have more assets to trade for an LD like Brodin without leaving us depleted. For example, if we were to trade Tatar for him, it may be a good trade long term, but may leave us worse short term.

Sometimes the UFA should be used like the draft: don't sign for need, sign to increase your asset base and trades can be made down the road...

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

There was a debate that started when a Wild fan came into this thread and offered Brodin for Suzuki... Proposals and counter-proposals involving players other than Suzuki followed...

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Yea Alex has speed , watched him in phoenix here last year and he's fast. Just has zero hockey sense .
Give credit to MB for listening to the guys he has scouting for him. That's how good organizations work. But any chance for a swipe at MB I get it.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Yea Alex has speed , watched him in phoenix here last year and he's fast. Just has zero hockey sense .
Give credit to MB for listening to the guys he has scouting for him. That's how good organizations work. But any chance for a swipe at MB I get it.

I didn't consider Chucky a quick skater in Montreal, I guess his stride improved in Arizona....?!

In the Reilly vs. Galchenyuk case MB listened to his scouting staff even though his own initial call would have yielded better results in the long run (using hindsight). Good leaders in good organizations can make those judgment calls in the clutch, and override whatever advice is coming their way from the staff. Bergevin here did not. Timmins did his job, no more no less.

On topic, Suzuki gets a break from the Hedmans of the NHL tonight and should have a bit more time and space to create plays. Impressed by his motor/conditioning so far this year.

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Step 1. Take a 20 year old who's been playing the best hockey of his career away from his natural position

Step 2. ????

Step 3. Contention

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Monster game tonight. Should he but put at C or W moving forward?
Tonight Domi took 9 faceoffs while Suzuki took 7. There really isn't a clear center on this line; both players are capable of playing wing or center, and they switch responsibilities mid-shift. They are finding chemistry and playing well together, let's keep them together and not worry about who we call the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad