Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Danault are known assets as centers, they don't need to be playing there to retain their value, unless they spend a long time on the wing. Suzuki and Domi may be somewhat true, but I think they would still have more value than a strict winger at equal talent, because they have an added dimension, which is playing center.

The Habs will have to make a call sooner rather than later, half assing it isn't the way.
Poehling is an unknown at the NHL level, as are all players until they show they can play in the NHL.

I don’t see Poehling as a centre anytime soon, Lehkonen is ahead if him for the time being, if needed. I like Poehling, just don’t think he’s NHL centre ready.

Lol, with the Danault hate, I agree with the Habs with how they are divvying up the playing time.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Kotkaniemi/Danault/Poehling are all prototypical centers. Suzuki and Domi are not.

Eh... what? How is Suzuki not a prototypical center? Amazing IQ, solid defensive coverage, strong on his feet and good at board battles, playmaking genius, good on face-offs for his age... He's a better center than Poehling by all metrics.

Edit : and his performance in the OHL playoffs was phenomenal. He was a one-man show and a beast defensively.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I’m not certain, it’s how I see him right now, but that can change in the future. I want him to be a star player, I’m just not seeing the offensive skill I see with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

Hopefully one day Poehling makes trading Danault a no brainer.

I dont see "star" potential with poehling, but I think he can a real solid player in this league.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Eh... what? How is Suzuki not a prototypical center? Amazing IQ, solid defensive coverage, strong on his feet and good at board battles, playmaking genius, good on face-offs for his age... He's a better center than Poehling by all metrics.
Of course he’s a better centerman.

But, he’s not a guy that we knew 100% could be a centerman. You need a certain defensive awareness to be a centerman. DD was not a prototypical centerman, Eller was, Plekanec was.

When you know for sure a guy is a centerman very early on, that’s a prototypical centerman. When you have a prototypical centerman on your hands, he usually remains a centerman, there’s no questioning that he’s a centerman. He’s just a centerman.

Kotkaniemi is a prototypical centerman, he was never going to be used as a winger. Suzuki is not a prototypical centerman. Domi is not a prototypical centerman.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Of course he’s a better centerman.

But, he’s not a guy that we knew 100% could be a centerman. You need a certain defensive awareness to be a centerman. DD was not a prototypical centerman, Eller was, Plekanec was.

When you know for sure a guy is a centerman very early on, that’s a prototypical centerman. When you have a prototypical centerman on your hands, he usually remains a centerman, there’s no questioning that he’s a centerman. He’s just a centerman.

Kotkaniemi is a prototypical centerman, he was never going to be used as a winger. Suzuki is not a prototypical centerman. Domi is not a prototypical centerman.

Ok, I see what you mean but I wouldnt say it that way.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
:confused::confused:
Nothing top 6 about his game. The irony of someone criticizing your evaluations for correctly identifying his skill set. He’s a bottom 6er at best imo.

Yeah, cant believe people are not seeing that, its obvious that he’s a bottom 6er at best in the 6mins a game we see him play with Thompson and Barber!!:confused:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
He has value but he's a guy you add to a package in a trade. He's not a guy you'll get much if you trade him alone (outside of a soon to be ufa player).
That was my point. His value by himself isn’t even worth the position he was drafted in. No team would give a late first for him.

Now if we’re talking Suzuki, his value is going threw the roof as he’s becoming more and more impressive.

Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Yeah, cant believe people are not seeing that, its obvious that he’s a bottom 6er at best in the 6mins a game we see him play with Thompson and Barber!!:confused:
Nothing to do with his ice time with Thompson and Barber and everything to do with his skill set. Very limited player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Nothing to do with his ice time with Thompson and Barber and everything to do with his skill set. Very limited player.

Let's give Poehling a little time. Too early to say he's only a bottom sixer for me at least.

What I can tell from his play is that he's not ready to play center at the NHL level. And, based on his speed and size, and I think his ability to make plays and finish, I'd like to see him get some time in the top 9 as a power forward winger.

Last edited:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Totally agree re Domi. Trade Domi if he doesn’t want to play wing.

Not sure about Poehling, would like to see more of him before forming an opinion.
Yes I agree, we can get a great player back through trade if Domi doesn’t want to be a winger.

Poehling is non issue, we own him for many years to come, we will see what he becomes.

Reactions: Runner77

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Poehling needs more time, a concussion is not easy to just get up and walk away from and I believe that it has hampered his progress. He is a big boy that can skate and has some offensive side to his game, I am rooting for him, I like bigger guys that can play. He will be a good one.
He will be a good one for sure, he’s gonna be an NHLer, time will tell what kind of role he will play for us.

What do you think about Suzuki? Ceiling?

Reactions: jaffy27

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He will be a good one for sure, he’s gonna be an NHLer, time will tell what kind of role he will play for us.

What do you think about Suzuki? Ceiling?
Suzuki has the best vision on the team and can be counted on defensively, a good pp Qb but is small in stature. 60 point guy potential 2nd line centre. I am not in the mood to argue with anyone, just my opinion.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Suzuki has the best vision on the team and can be counted on defensively, a good pp Qb but is small in stature. 60 point guy potential 2nd line centre. I am not in the mood to argue with anyone, just my opinion.
His vision is next level. He’s got a smaller upper body but his legs look strong..
Only 60 points? Even Danault can get 60.. Domi got 72..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes north of 200 pounds, Im the same size as him and no one would ever say Im small. (Although I have almost 30 pound son him.)

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
I’m not certain, it’s how I see him right now, but that can change in the future. I want him to be a star player, I’m just not seeing the offensive skill I see with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

Hopefully one day Poehling makes trading Danault a no brainer.

Poehling was on pace for 246 goals this year.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Hes north of 200 pounds, Im the same size as him and no one would ever say Im small. (Although I have almost 30 pound son him.)

Would they be saying fat instead?

That's what I say about myself now, when younger, instead, it was fit. One letter switch a result of a stitch in time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad