Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Hayes-(Spittin'ChicletsPodcast):Suzuki
“That Suzuki guy is nasty, he's really is. He's really young and he kinda does everything.”

“Maybe like a poor man O'Reilly.”

“He's really tough with the puck too. I don't want to say you're nervous when he touches the puck but he's capable to do something pretty productive every time.”

“He was one of their best player, for sure...”

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Kovalev was a tough guy to figure out, but what I liked about him was that he rose to the occasion when the games got bigger, and we did at least see him as a full fledged superstar in 07/08 when he was a top 10 scorer in the league while playing with Andrei kostitsyn and plekanec.

Okay, it's a bit disingenuous to not talk about his PP teammates particularly markov, Koivu, and streit. That was a deadly unit, and tops in the league.
Kovalev had only one season in the top ten and it was not with us.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Kovalev had only one season in the top ten and it was not with us.

I mean he was 11th, so it's a bit of nitpicking. I'd argue he was more valuable than some players in the Top 10, including Alfredsson and Spezza, who played on a line with Heatley, and Zetterberg and Datysuk who benefitted from playing with each other.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't care about his skating one bit, and haven't for some time. It's such a bullshit critique of his game. People just want to have something to say about a player. Kucherov could get faster too. It's just not relevant for him.
It's not a critique and it's more related to quickness than top speed. It would make him a more dangerous player imo.

If he's gonna grow into a ppg player, you won't hear a word from me about his skating.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
LG come on man...youre smarter than this lol...

He did not play 82 games at 1C for that "below average production" and "measley 41 points"... he played what, a handful MAYBE before the playoffs, and then bumped him to perma top 6C for the remainder of this years playoffs.
He wasnt even 1C right now even, we're all just saying 1C because the team didnt really have one the passed couple years (decades) and were jumping the gun because they played him with top 6 wingers

But 41 points in 71 as a 20 year old rookie who started the year on 4th line wing...... is pretty good. Koivu himself had 45 pts in 82 games as a rookie on a much better team.

He will be our 1C. and he will be better than all of them since the mid 90s.
Even Hrudly who cried foul about Suzuki's pat admitted he thought Nick would be a superstar.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Kotkaniemi-PressConference(20/08/27):Suzuki
“Yeah, I'd love that for sure to be me and him the dynamic duo for the Canadiens. He's a great player for this organization. He's always doing something when he's on the ice; he's really fun to watch. He's a great guy, really enjoy spending time with him.”
“It sounds like Bergevin trusts us and it feels really good. Nick and I are going to do our best and hopefully, it'll be good enough for our team...”

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
I'm baffled that B. tkatchuk is winning a poll over Suzuki on the main board, but idk if I'm being a homer.
IMO Suzuki is way better overall.

I would take B. Tkatchuk any day over Suzuki. Tough, fast, skilled, and strong.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
I'm baffled that B. tkatchuk is winning a poll over Suzuki on the main board, but idk if I'm being a homer.
Tkatchuk is 21 year old 6"3 version of brenden gallagher. He is one of the most unique players in the NHL. Incredibly valuable and might supercede the whole center > winger philosophy. I'm not saying I would take him over Suzuki but there is a legitimate argument there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Come on now, he was 11th in 07-08... potato potatoe
Sure. And he was an outstandingly talented player. But he was never a consistent top ten guy like people are trying to paint him to be. He made the top 10 once. If you want to count his 11th finish as well go ahead... but he never lived up to his talent the way he should have. He was uber talented on the level of a Lafleur (and that is high praise) but just never really had the consistency.

Even Hrudly who cried foul about Suzuki's pat admitted he thought Nick would be a superstar.
That's one of the folks I had in mind when I made my post.

Except he wasn't used as a first line centerman for most of the season.
You'd think a superstar would be used as a first liner though right?

He's a promising young player. Leave it at that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
if the Habs were offered Suzuki for Tkachuk I wouldn't do it.
Well, I'd definitely keep him over Keith Tkachuk. The other two? I'm not sure. Suzuki is a cerebral player but those kids have size and skill. It'd be tough not to take a Tkachuk here.

Reactions: puckie

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I would take B. Tkatchuk any day over Suzuki. Tough, fast, skilled, and strong.

Umm, that's where you're wrong. Nick Suzuki is more valuable and has higher potential. He's a center, not a winger. And an amazing one to it. No way I'd trade Suzuki for B. Tkachuk. Suzuki is tough, fas, skilled and strong too. But has higher IQ and vision and better hands.

Reactions: angusyoung

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Umm, that's where you're wrong. Nick Suzuki is more valuable and has higher potential. He's a center, not a winger. And an amazing one to it. No way I'd trade Suzuki for B. Tkachuk. Suzuki is tough, fas, skilled and strong too. But has higher IQ and vision and better hands.

Tkachuk is likely better now but you have to think Suzuki's upside is higher

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

If Suzuki can still improve his skating and strength which I'm sure he can, he's going to be REALLY hard to play against. The offensive IQ and puck skills are very high end imo.

I think the way he can telegraph one thing and do another along with his fakes is something pretty damn special that is just another added dimension that I'M SORRY not a lot of players can do as effectively as I've seen him do so far in his young career.

I'm very confident he's got a few more gears to reach. He just turned 21 and not even a full NHL season behind him and he was looking every way a future young star. He was doing it just like he did in the juniors last year, in elimination games. Already a big game player.

At the very least, we'll be fun to watch again because of him. And that's a LOT for me.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If Suzuki can still improve his skating and strength which I'm sure he can, he's going to be REALLY hard to play against. The offensive IQ and puck skills are very high end imo.

I think the way he can telegraph one thing and do another along with his fakes is something pretty damn special that is just another added dimension that I'M SORRY not a lot of players can do as effectively as I've seen him do so far in his young career.

I'm very confident he's got a few more gears to reach. He just turned 21 and not even a full NHL season behind him and he was looking every way a future young star. He was doing it just like he did in the juniors last year, in elimination games. Already a big game player.

At the very least, we'll be fun to watch again because of him. And that's a LOT for me.

He's already pretty good and don't believe he will stagnate,how much further? hard to say but hope he can continue to impress.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on what Suzuki does at center next year for a full season in a bigger role at age 21. But the way it's tracking... Suzuki > B Tkachuk.

Here is the thing... Teams have centers and if you do have that, those fans on those teams will vote Tkachuk over Suzuki at this point today. It's just like us when we look at LD's.... That Dunn fella... He's attractive eh? Get the point?

- Tkachuk seems to have stalled at 40-50 pts and 20-25 goals (age 19 and 20 seasons)
- Suzuki age 20 season is 41 pts and 13 goals but his 2nd half is much better than the 1st half.

This comes down to what they both do in their age 21 seasons IMO. Centers are worth more than wingers but it's deeper than that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad