Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Stone is the main reason that line looked so good. Patches didn't look great any of the times I saw him this year before Stone arrived.

Just like here when we had Radulov. Before Radulov was put on Pacioretty's line, everyone was asking: what's happened to Pacioretty? He was in a horrible slump. What we saw last year is the new Pacioretty if he's not playing with a good play driver/playmaker.

But, when he's playing with a good one, he's still a good finisher.

Reactions: Eegs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s a stud.

Can’t wait to see him grow in Laval and explode in the NHL.

Would be amazing if he's a real top six. We need all the real-deal offensive talent we can get.

Domi, Suzuki, KK, and Poehling are hopefully the young core offensively, with Gallagher providing support. Drouin has fallen out of the mix for me. Hoping for a miracle he'll get back in.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah? he is? certainly debatable, i'd put him top 3 for sure.

The year Suzuki was drafted he went 13th, we didnt pick until 25th, we took Ryan Poehling. One could argue they are both solid prospects after the fact. One has already played an NHL game and fared quite well..

So its the scoutings fault for the team only able to make a pick at 25, instead of 13? weird

Some would argue the best prospect could be Kotkaniemi, drafted 3rd overall among his peers by the same group of people. weird eh?

Its almost like where you draft matters a bit...

Seeing Suzuki develop is why I think we should be active in free agency.

If we had picked up Skinner and Perron last summer, there's a good chance we could have traded Skinner at the deadline for another Suzuki level prospect.

We've got to get all the assets we can during this strong UFA market, and trade veterans for picks and prospects.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Glass injured his knee, he only played 1 playoff game while not being 100%.

To get patches they had to trade Suzuki, Glass, or Brannstrom. Knowing then what we know now, I feel they absolutely made the best choice. Glass is an absolute stud

Many a stud hasn’t panned out. Too many to name and plenty of later picks blew past them as productive NHLers. Time will tell.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I never said they regretted trading for Patch. I said yes wondered if they regret trading Suzuki to get him in lieu of another prospect.

As far as Glass being something else over and above better than Suzuki, we’ll have to see. Suzuki is excelling at the same level of competition as Glass and I haven’t seen Glass as being overtly superior and especially not during the playoffs where Suzuki is at historical levels now.

It’ll be interesting to see how they develop as NHLers once they both make the jump. That was the point I was making.
Glass was injured and has been more than good in the AHL playoffs.

Reactions: BabyPanda

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Just like here when we had Radulov. Before Radulov was put on Pacioretty's line, everyone was asking: what's happened to Pacioretty? He was in a horrible slump. What we saw last year is the new Pacioretty if he's not playing with a good play driver/playmaker.

But, when he's playing with a good one, he's still a good finisher.

You could say that for any non superstar player. Pacioretty is an elite sniper but not a superstar that can lift a line by himself.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You could say that for any non superstar player. Pacioretty is an elite sniper but not a superstar that can lift a line by himself.

He used to be more than a one-dimensional sniper. But yes, he is now a one-dimensional sniper. I wouldn't call him elite anymore though. Look how many players scored 30 this year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wonder if Vegas regrets adding him in lieu of another prospect in the Patches trade?

It’d be something if Suzuki had a better NHL career than Glass.

Really curious how Suzuki compares to Glass now. I remember how most here felt Glass was the better player at the time the Habs landed Suzuki.

edit: just read Mrb1p stating that Glass had injuries to contend with. I guess that would make it difficult to establish a comparable.

Reactions: jaffy27

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Really curious how Suzuki compares to Glass now. I remember how most here felt Glass was the better player at the time the Habs landed Suzuki.

edit: just read Mrb1p stating that Glass had injuries to contend with. I guess that would make it difficult to establish a comparable.

I think the progress Suzuki has made seems to me that he’s taken it to the next level. He’s dominating which is what you hope to see. I just don’t want to rush him. Let him spend time in the A, dominate there and then bring him up. I think if he gets comfortable and moves on etc. that’s how he’ll progress and give him the best chance at being a very good NHLer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think the progress Suzuki has made seems to me that he’s taken it to the next level. He’s dominating which is what you hope to see. I just don’t want to rush him. Let him spend time in the A, dominate there and then bring him up. I think if he gets comfortable and moves on etc. that’s how he’ll progress and give him the best chance at being a very good NHLer.

Another main reason I want him in the AHL is because it will mean there will be better players than him in the NHL, hopefully some from the UFA market. That way, when he's ready, we can trade vets for picks and prospects.
But if he's ready to beat out Byron, I'm ready to trade Byron for a pick and let Suzuki play in the NHL.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Another main reason I want him in the AHL is because it will mean there will be better players than him in the NHL, hopefully some from the UFA market. That way, when he's ready, we can trade vets for picks and prospects.
But if he's ready to beat out Byron, I'm ready to trade Byron for a pick and let Suzuki play in the NHL.

I just feel that certain players just develop differently than others but nearly none of any player doesn’t develop better in the A with a good coach which we have now, thank god. If we were in the Sly days, I’d want him in the NHL.

So long as we have Bouchard there, I’d want all our players go to Laval for at least a year like we did with Boucher.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I just feel that certain players just develop differently than others but nearly none of any player doesn’t develop better in the A with a good coach which we have now, thank god. If we were in the Sly days, I’d want him in the NHL.

So long as we have Bouchard there, I’d want all our players go to Laval for at least a year like we did with Boucher.

I maintain the main reason KK and Mete started in the NHL is because we didn't have enough quality centers or left D - what was better for their development was secondary.

I still think if Julien thinks Suzuki helps us win now, he convinces Marc to keep him. Having said that, at least we now have 12 good forwards, so if Suzuki is in the top 12, it's because he's at least NHL ready - regardless of whether he'd develop better with a year in the A.

My preference would be for him to at least start off in the A and if he's doing really well and can help the big club, then bring him up - as was the case with Gallagher.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I maintain the main reason KK and Mete started in the NHL is because we didn't have enough quality centers or left D - what was better for their development was secondary.

I still think if Julien thinks Suzuki helps us win now, he convinces Marc to keep him. Having said that, at least we now have 12 good forwards, so if Suzuki is in the top 12, it's because he's at least NHL ready - regardless of whether he'd develop better with a year in the A.

My preference would be for him to at least start off in the A and if he's doing really well and can help the big club, then bring him up - as was the case with Gallagher.

For sure. Hi wouldn’t hold a player back just to hold them back. Gally spent some time in the A but when he came up, he didn’t let them send him back down.

If Suzuki takes an NHL spot, I’d have no problem with him making the jump. Just saying that as a regular course of action, my preference when we have a good development coach in the A is to have them incubate there and come up once ready to dominate.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For sure. Hi wouldn’t hold a player back just to hold them back. Gally spent some time in the A but when he came up, he didn’t let them send him back down.

If Suzuki takes an NHL spot, I’d have no problem with him making the jump. Just saying that as a regular course of action, my preference when we have a good development coach in the A is to have them incubate there and come up once ready to dominate.

Almost every year there's one newbie that usually sticks out. The Gallagher year, both Chucky and Gally stuck out. This past year it was KK. The year before Mete. It will be interesting to see what Suzuki and Poehling do in September. At least the days where it was Bournival then Christian Thomas level players seem behind us for the next couple of years.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Almost every year there's one newbie that usually sticks out. The Gallagher year, both Chucky and Gally stuck out. This past year it was KK. The year before Mete. It will be interesting to see what Suzuki and Poehling do in September. At least the days where it was Bournival then Christian Thomas level players seem behind us for the next couple of years.

And in almost all those cases, the player would most likely have turned out better had they stayed or gone to the A with a better development coach. Even Mete went back down and came back much better. Gally spent time down there and came up very confident and raring to go.

I’d argue Chucky would’ve been better off starting in the A. In any case, I don’t like arguing could’ves but will say I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a player being ruined by being in the A too long. So unless we’re taking McDavid, Crosby etc. they should likely spend time in the A before making the move up.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Agree

Reactions: Mandala

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I think the way Suzuki has been playing, he's going to dictate where he ends up. If any of what he's doing now carries over to his NHL game, then the coaching staff will have a decision to make.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Mandala

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And in almost all those cases, the player would most likely have turned out better had they stayed or gone to the A with a better development coach. Even Mete went back down and came back much better. Gally spent time down there and came up very confident and raring to go.

I’d argue Chucky would’ve been better off starting in the A. In any case, I don’t like arguing could’ves but will say I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a player being ruined by being in the A too long. So unless we’re taking McDavid, Crosby etc. they should likely spend time in the A before making the move up.

I agree.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think the way Suzuki has been playing, he's going to dictate where he ends up. If any of what he's doing now carries over to his NHL game, then the coaching staff will have a decision to make.
Agree although my money is on him starting the year in the A ......buuuut, you never know.

Reactions: Runner77

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I've never seen Suzuki, so I can't judge how good he is. For all I know he might serve as a bargaining chip in securing a capable left Dmand. I fSuzukie remains with the Habs, whom would he displace? Not Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi. or Poehling. It's possible to find a place for him at center if Domi is shifted back to LW. That would enable Bergevin to trade Drouin.. Alternatively. Suzuki might play at RW at the expense of Shaw. I'm a fan, not a hockey professional, so I'd leave the personnel decisions to Bergevin and Julien. At most, I can take credit for having spotted Poehling's ability. I also questioned the Sergachev/Drouin trade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agree although my money is on him starting the year in the A ......buuuut, you never know.

I'm really liking how he's continuing to be productive in playoff games, with his team facing elimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad