Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nor is too easy in the AHL an indicator, for that matter.

True. My point is that while we can love seeing him dominate the way he does, as it's better to see him do that than to struggle....obviously, it is just no indication of his certain success in the NHL. But it's fun to see nonetheless.

Reactions: jaffy27

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't have as big of a problem with his lack of urgency as others, he's cerebral and likes to slow things down, now i don't know how that will mesh with the Habs up tempo play but we'll have to wait and see. What I worry is just usual highly skilled undersized player that lacks explosiveness in a league where speed is king. That said several smallish guys that don't have that extra gear or aren't the greatest skaters will still make it. Just becomes a question of how can he overcome these things and to what degree are they a concern. His skating looks improved for sure, so how much of that is really a problem? He's not that small either. So if he can work on being more explosive, that's likely my main worry. Really can't wait to see him at camp and hopefully Laval next year to get a better read on him.
KK isn't really explosive either though. They actually play a pretty similar style. Give them a hard working speedy player like Byron and I can see that line just being incredibly annoying to play against.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Kucherov is not the fastest, not the strongest, but is very quick in his game and make good decisions all time. This is what i see from suzuki. Im not saying he will be as good as kucherov. But he has very large skillset

He reminds me more of Giroux, and if he approaches that,great.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The only weakness sounds to me to be his skating. If he's not fast enough, that can look like lack of effort/intensity.

But weren't some questioning Kotkaniemi's skating pre-draft? If so, it was without warrant.
There's been some concerns about his engagement. He'll need to play with more pace at the next level.

Kotkaniemi's skating has improved by leaps and bounds since this time last year. The questioning was not unwarranted but wasn't a deal-breaker by any means either.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
There's been some concerns about his engagement. He'll need to play with more pace at the next level.

Kotkaniemi's skating has improved by leaps and bounds since this time last year. The questioning was not unwarranted but wasn't a deal-breaker by any means either.
These concerns are the reason that Vegas was prepared to give him up in the Pacioretty trade.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The only weakness sounds to me to be his skating. If he's not fast enough, that can look like lack of effort/intensity.

But weren't some questioning Kotkaniemi's skating pre-draft? If so, it was without warrant.

his top end speed is decent, but just like Kotkaniemi he has wierd stride and sometime looks like he could have better edge. He does lack effort and intensity but at the same time his type of game currently relies on smarts and positioning. Will need to see if he's able to do that in pro league wich is possible. but in my opinion he does need to work on moving his feet a bit more and be more engaged. I still realy like how he slows down the play in the Ozone, some people don't like these types of play but i feel like it's realy underrated as it makes the Dman on their heel, everybody gets out of position and you can create passing lane or get closer for a shot, wich he does amazingly!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
his top end speed is decent, but just like Kotkaniemi he has wierd stride and sometime looks like he could have better edge. He does lack effort and intensity but at the same time his type of game currently relies on smarts and positioning. Will need to see if he's able to do that in pro league wich is possible. but in my opinion he does need to work on moving his feet a bit more and be more engaged. I still realy like how he slows down the play in the Ozone, some people don't like these types of play but i feel like it's realy underrated as it makes the Dman on their heel, everybody gets out of position and you can create passing lane or get closer for a shot, wich he does amazingly!

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

This is actually a good example of what he described. The dman is heading in the opposite direction while Suzuki is already in stride. Any fast player would've completely blown past. His first steps here really lack power.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is actually a good example of what he described. The dman is heading in the opposite direction while Suzuki is already in stride. Any fast player would've completely blown past. His first steps here really lack power.

The only concern I have about Suzuki is his speed. I don't worry at all about his intensity, compete level, or character. We'll see within the next couple of years if it will be a problem for him.

Gallagher was pretty slow when he came into the league. He's still not the fastest player. But he, like PK, have transformed their bodies physically since being drafted, but serious weight tranning. The extra power in his legs has really increased his speed. Compare that to a guy like Hudon who hasn't undergone the same physical transformation and is still slow.

I just hope Suzuki will really be hitting the weight room and building lower body strength.

look how much smaller Gallagher was as a rookie.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
That’s not what I saw at all.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Keep in mind that clip was from more than a year ago. With proper development and training, he could certainly improve significantly too.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Interested to see him at camp next year. He probably gets the 9 games before being sent down at the very least. Pretty sure hed be a huge improvement for the PP already

Reactions: jaffy27

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He has 31 points in 20 games with his new team. He started slow but has really stepped up lately.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I would have traded Suzuki in a package for Stone!

Stone and Domi on the same line would have been great. Real #1RW.

Oh well!

Hopefully he becomes a dominant player for us in the NHL level

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
He should be. He's too good for the league and has been for a while. Problem is, he's not quite NHL ready either.

Rock and a hard place. Like to see him play for a while with Laval next year.

I agree. Give him a year with Bouchard to learn the systems and good pro habits, see where he is at year end. If he forces the issue and puts up ridiculous numbers in the AHL, we can re-evaluate. There is no rush on this guy, and he is a fantastic prospect. Also, we have a LOT of center depth, especially if Poehling signs.

What a difference a year makes.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would have traded Suzuki in a package for Stone!

Stone and Domi on the same line would have been great. Real #1RW.

Oh well!

Hopefully he becomes a dominant player for us in the NHL level

Erik Brannstrom's a better prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Interested to see him at camp next year. He probably gets the 9 games before being sent down at the very least. Pretty sure hed be a huge improvement for the PP already

He'll be either in the NHL/AHL next year, so the 9 game mark is meaningless. A year is getting burnt on his ELC. Unless he goes back to junior as an overaged player (0.0000000001% chance of happening).

Reactions: DangerDave

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He should be. He's too good for the league and has been for a while. Problem is, he's not quite NHL ready either.

Rock and a hard place. Like to see him play for a while with Laval next year.

That's ok the playoffs will bring him another level, and then next year even more so. Hope he has a big offseason and comes to camp in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad