Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I like Suzuki a lot but I just wonder who ends up the better player... Ylonen or Suzuki? 90% say Suzuki hands down but I'm more like 65/35 in favor of Suzuki. Lets not crown our top prospects into sure shot impact players. It don't work that way.. we have to wait to see how hungry they are to keep improving and it's anybodies guess

Who's crowned Suzuki as a future impact player? I think we're all saying he needs time in the AHL to develop properly

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Nick Suzuki's nickname should be Key. It's the last syllable of his last name and has ties to the motorcycle manufacturer that he shares a name with.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Kia it is then.

He's of Japanese ancestry.

040725297967febdb88198d41e4a2605623d54c09936d8163f1de3a25672a0de.jpg

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
He's been playing well despite putting up points at a lesser rate. He is, by his own admission, working more closely on other parts of his game.

I'm personally not worried about his OHL production at all any more to be honest. He's proved that he can put up points and be an offensive beast in the OHL for the better part of 3 seasons. IMO he doesn't have anything left to prove in terms of junior level offensive production. I would much rather see him working on other elements of his game in order to prove that he can translate his play to the professional leagues.

If becoming a more well-rounded player comes at the cost of 10-15 points down the stretch in his last junior season, then i'm more than okay with that to be honest. I don't think the reduced production is cause for concern at all.

I wholeheartedly agree. There is no doubt Suzuki has the offensive skill set to produce. What is key for me is how he develops the other aspects of his game such as defensive awareness and board play. Improving in these areas will help him transition to the pro level where he cant jusy rely on his offensive skills solely.

Suzuki reminds me a bit of how Drouin was sent back to Halifax in 13-14. You knew he could dominate a game offensively but as a coach the big question was could he work on the other aspects of his game that were lacking.

Reactions: NobleSix

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He plays more like Drouin than like Tatar...
Where do you come up with this stuff? Drouin is a low IQ player who is almost useless if he isn't using his speed advantage. Suzuki is a high IQ player who tries to slow the game down. They are completely different players.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Where do you come up with this stuff? Drouin is a low IQ player who is almost useless if he isn't using his speed advantage. Suzuki is a high IQ player who tries to slow the game down. They are completely different players.
Suzuki is very skilled but tends to be too fancy at times, just like Drouin... He is also a bit soft, doesnt get his nose dirty enough and doesnt always move his feet... They have more similarities than what you think but I agree that Suzuki's IQ is higher and I expect him to become a better and more consistent overall player than Drouin down the road...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I wholeheartedly agree. There is no doubt Suzuki has the offensive skill set to produce. What is key for me is how he develops the other aspects of his game such as defensive awareness and board play. Improving in these areas will help him transition to the pro level where he cant jusy rely on his offensive skills solely.

Suzuki reminds me a bit of how Drouin was sent back to Halifax in 13-14. You knew he could dominate a game offensively but as a coach the big question was could he work on the other aspects of his game that were lacking.
I don't know. I agree his board play leaves a lot to be desired but his defensive awareness is as good as Koko Puffs if not better. He has excellent defensive awareness. I read that in many reports and I saw it with my own eyes. The only thing I see lacking in this kid is intensity and obviously strength. To be honest the lack of intensity worries me. But everything else he has in spades.

Reactions: HOPE and Acadien86

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You can't deflate Drouin as a NHL proven talent and then inflate Suzuki as someone who will be more smarter with puck management who has not even played one pro game yet. The only thing we can compare accurately is Suzuki vs Drouin up to age 19. Both ripped up the CHL.

Suzuki will take time to show his potential. It's anybodies guess how good he will be and how his game translates once he turns pro.

Reactions: Frankc

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
My uneducated opinion, Suzuki is the #3 prospect behind kotkaniemi, and Romanov.

noun

Prospects.

1. an apparent probability of advancement, success, profit, etc.
  2. the outlook for the future

Im also of the belief Kotkaniemi after 60 GP and 30 pts, youre no longer a "probable" hope to pan out, he's already in the "profit" imo

but that 2nd definition makes me pause a bit lol

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
noun

Prospects.

1. an apparent probability of advancement, success, profit, etc.
  2. the outlook for the future

Im also of the belief Kotkaniemi after 60 GP and 30 pts, youre no longer a "probable" hope to pan out, he's already in the "profit" imo

but that 2nd definition makes me pause a bit lol

there's definitely a bit of grey area there in 18 year olds who are playing in the NHL and aren't superstars right off the hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad