Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Trade bait for a young dman on the side we so desperately need?

Not for me. Suzuki singlehandedly boosted our prospect pool by a lot. I think he has potential to slot in nicely in our future top-6 which isn’t exactly overflowing with high-end talent.

I mean, sure, if somebody is going to offer us a blue chip LHD, we’d be stupid to not consider it. However, if it’s anything like Suzuki for Muzzin, I’m going to lose it.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Not for me. Suzuki singlehandedly boosted our prospect pool by a lot. I think he has potential to slot in nicely in our future top-6 which isn’t exactly overflowing with high-end talent.

I mean, sure, if somebody is going to offer us a blue chip LHD, we’d be stupid to not consider it. However, if it’s anything like Suzuki for Muzzin, I’m going to lose it.
That would never ever happen.....like ever

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I like Suzuki BUT Cody Glass would had been what MB should had demanded for Patches.

Ya that wouldn't have happened. They weren't getting a big blue chip (can't-miss type) center prospect for Pacioretty. Even in most proposals, people were hesitant to give up highly regarded (mid-lower first round centre prospect). Suzuki is a good prospect, while not necessarily being a blue chip prospect. I think Bergy pretty much got as much as he could more or less.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

I wouldn’t go trading prospects. Let’s look at free agents and or focus on drafting and developing defencemen. They need more than a left d to contend, so why wreck the future at this point.
Be competitive, play exciting hockey and in a couple years they’ll be there.
Hell, no one expected them to be in the hunt this year and our prospect pool has improved a lot too!

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Ya that wouldn't have happened. They weren't getting a big blue chip (can't-miss type) center prospect for Pacioretty. Even in most proposals, people were hesitant to give up highly regarded (mid-lower first round centre prospect). Suzuki is a good prospect, while not necessarily being a blue chip prospect. I think Bergy pretty much got as much as he could more or less.
I’d consider a blue chip prospect as cant-miss nhl. I think Suzuki is that. He got an incredible return for pacioretty. Especially with how terrible he was last season. Plus, now the guy is hurt all the time.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Its going to be a hard decision next year with suzuki figuring out if hes coming straight to our parent club or the farm.

The question with the farm is:
Who is his supporting cast? We have next to no interesting forward prospects coming to the ahl in the form of wingers.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Its going to be a hard decision next year with suzuki figuring out if hes coming straight to our parent club or the farm.

The question with the farm is:
Who is his supporting cast? We have next to no interesting forward prospects coming to the ahl in the form of wingers.

Peohling, Suzuki, Olofsson, Ikonen, Ylonen, are all candidates to join the AHL as forwards next year.

Bergevin could also simply sign an excellent career AHL forward to help drive the play.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Peohling, Suzuki, Olofsson, Ikonen, Ylonen, are all candidates to join the AHL as forwards next year.

Bergevin could also simply sign an excellent career AHL forward to help drive the play.

Thank you for the information on whonis eligible to join the club next year.

By the way, how is ikonen projecting?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

I doubt it for the European guys. None of them are close to being ready. Compare them to Lehkonen and it's obvious. Ylonen is probably the closest one.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm banking on Poehling and Suzuki being top 9 NHLers. Would be such a nice bonus if one of Ylonen, Ikonen, and Olofsson were also.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Thank you for the information on whonis eligible to join the club next year.

By the way, how is ikonen projecting?

He reminds me a bit of Sven Andrighetto, with unarguably better tools all-around minus a bit of the tenaciousness that Andrighetto has. Unfortunately, he hasn't really managed to do himself justice in Europe, what with sustaining injuries for extended periods of time (in fact, he hasn't played at all in the 2018-2019 season for his Liiga club untill now), but Ikonen is, and remains, pretty much a top-6 guy or bust. There's still loads of time for him to make something of himself, and he has pretty sick skills, but right now, with all the missed development time and physical toll of injuries, his path into the NHL is a pretty uphill climb.

As for Suzuki, I think we've got a small gem on our hands. He's really improved the speed at which he makes decisions on the ice and looks a bit faster going both ways in the OHL. That marked improvement in execution and speed, coupled with his smarts and skills, make him into a borderline bluechip prospect and I quite simply feel that his game will translate well into the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Suzuki eventually ends up scoring 70 points in a season for an NHL team in a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He reminds me a bit of Sven Andrighetto, with unarguably better tools all-around minus a bit of the tenaciousness that Andrighetto has. Unfortunately, he hasn't really managed to do himself justice in Europe, what with sustaining injuries for extended periods of time (in fact, he hasn't played at all in the 2018-2019 season for his Liiga club untill now), but Ikonen is, and remains, pretty much a top-6 guy or bust. There's still loads of time for him to make something of himself, and he has pretty sick skills, but right now, with all the missed development time and physical toll of injuries, his path into the NHL is a pretty uphill climb.

As for Suzuki, I think we've got a small gem on our hands. He's really improved the speed at which he makes decisions on the ice and looks a bit faster going both ways in the OHL. That marked improvement in execution and speed, coupled with his smarts and skills, make him into a borderline bluechip prospect and I quite simply feel that his game will translate well into the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Suzuki eventually ends up scoring 70 points in a season for an NHL team in a few years.

Thank you very much. I liked adrighetto as a 3rd liner. He was perfect and imo better than hudon overall even though i think hudon has alot of untapped skill even for his age. Hudom reminds me a little of desharnais but without the composure.

I watched suzuki in the canada russia series and he really stood out. He looks really smart and physically stronger than alot of the competition he played against. The one knock i had on him is that he can get the puck trapped in his feet on occasion but is chippy and works hard. On a few of his shifts he was sort of scrambly.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
From what I keep hearing, it's Suzuki's lack of strength that will potentially hold him back next year. While he's quicker than many give him credit for, he's not a roadrunner who will blow by his opponents and he will need to be able to contest the puck to hold his own in the NHL.

Trigger man on the right side is the most logical spot for him in the lineup, as 3rd inner to start and then as a top-6 RW. I'd have him slot in beside Kotkaniemi on a 3rd line next year, after a stretch in the AHL up to X-Mas, and watch him tag upward on the depth chart along with the Finnish C.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad