Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

What I didn't notice before was the fake to go back to the point first THEN the 2nd fake, then that crazy pass through Rielly's legs. And he made it look so bloody easy. I'm sorry but that's Kovalev level skill. That sequence is really something. I was very skeptical he could pull that stuff of in the NHL let alone this quickly.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Suzuki-PressConference(20/07/29)
“I guess it's different the little details in the games because it's so fast. You can only create so much game situations in practices. I thing just that game get out kinda the rust. We were kinda rushing plays. There's a few things that I know I've to do better on. Me personally I made a couple of rush plays. Also, we weren't too good in the battles/puck recoveries and we weren't trying to get the puck back as fast as possible. As a unit, working as five together to get back. Once we setup we can make all the plays and get good chances. So let's be prepared for our first playoffs game and just get back the little details that we kinda use to during the season.”

“I felt pretty good. Getting my legs back under me. Practicing a couple of PK shifts. We ended up with a lot of PP time at the end. That kinda up my IT.”

“Once we got put together (Armia/Drouin) in camp we were all excited to play with each others. I got the chance to play with both of them a little bit during the regular season. I thought our lines generated a lot of good things and we built what we started in camp. In the camp, we were doing very well. Yesterday was a good step we just have to keep building on that. We're really good on the half-wall, we just need to make plays and find ways to use each other more. Getting the chemistry, keep practicing together.”

“Both sides have their perks, obviously. I'm just a little more comfortable on the right side. I played a lot more of that in Junior and found pretty good success there during the regular season, too.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
TOR@MTL (20/07/28): Dumont Report Card - Suzuki
First, he picks up the puck in the offensive zone, quickly creating time and space for his teammates as he softly returns the puck to the blue line.

At this point, he shifts back into creativity mode, finding his usual spot on the half boards. That's where things get interesting.
We all know goaltenders will save the majority of the shots they can see, and even a fair amount of shots they don't see, but there's one particular way to make the save much more difficult: pre-shot adjustments.

And Suzuki performs this minor, yet crucial move perfectly. Take a look at his body language prior to the pass. He sells the shot to perfection, but he's quite aware there's simply no passing lane available. By curling the puck, he gives the signal to Andersen that the shot is on its way, which freezes the Leafs goaltender as he gets set for the shot.

He then opens up his hands, which opens up the passing lane, and uses his elite playmaking to thread the needle to a wide-open Tomas Tatar, who makes no mistake.

A moving goaltender is a vulnerable goaltender. And a vulnerable goalie is exactly what Suzuki was waiting for.

A stick tap goes out to Gallagher, who was busy doing ''Gallagher things'' in the crease, creating havoc in the process.

upload_2020-7-29_15-34-1.png

upload_2020-7-29_15-34-23.png

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Theirs maybe only 5 or 6 other players in the NHL capable of making plays like that with Suzuki's consistency. He needs to play with a high IQ guy like Tatar asap.

He's a pillar for the future no doubt about it. He's exactly the type of player I wanted to land in the Pacioretty deal. Plus we got Tatar. Plus Norlinder.

Hopefully soon enough, Tatar, Petry, Weber and Price will be traded for similar level prospects - and maybe even Drouin will get us one?

But yeah, Julien ain't breaking up the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line. Hopefully Kovalchuk is brought back to play with Suzuki.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What I didn't notice before was the fake to go back to the point first THEN the 2nd fake, then that crazy pass through Rielly's legs. And he made it look so bloody easy. I'm sorry but that's Kovalev level skill. That sequence is really something. I was very skeptical he could pull that stuff of in the NHL let alone this quickly.
Elite player in the making

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Elite player in the making

And he hasn't even got that crazy shot going. I would love for him to get stronger and faster but even if that doesn't happen in a significant way I think he can still be a dominant force. If his raw offensive skill and instincts aren't in that Kovalev, Datsyuk, P.Kane department I think they're DAMN close.

I know people will tell me to hold my horses but I'm just talking raw skill at this point. Doesn't mean he'll pan out like them. The skill is undeniable imo.

Reactions: montreal and Tyson

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Maybe if the idiot Julien is still coach and gives him useless wingers. If he doesn't put up 80 points he would be a disappointment.

This is nonsense , I really like Suzuki and he is part of our future core but if you're saying under 80 points would be a disappointment , that doesn't seem realistic...Let's look at players that hit 90+ points over the last few seasons.

2018-2019:
  • Nikita Kucherov
  • Connor McDavid
  • Patrick Kane
  • Leon Draisaitl
  • Sidney Crosby
  • Brad Marchand
  • Nathan MacKinnon
  • Johnny Gaudreau
  • Steven Stamkos
  • Aleksander Barkov
2017-2018:
  • Connor McDavid
  • Claude Giroux
  • Nikita Kucherov
  • Evgeni Malkin
  • Nathan MacKinnon
  • Taylor Hall
  • Anze Kopitar
  • Phil Kessel
  • Blake Wheeler
  • Sidney Crosby
Do you think it makes sense to project Suzuki in the same category as these players(or only a small tier under?). Especially knowing how bad Montreal is at producing top end forwards?

I am not going to make any predictions but despite how smart/talented he is , I don't think it's fair to put him that company.

Last edited:

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Pending who he's playing with and on what scheme, I could see 70
Domi put up 70. Of course that was only 1 year so far. Suzuki needs a sniper like Caufield on his line. If Canadiens ever got Lafreniere and he reaches star level Suzuki should be near that level too.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Theirs maybe only 5 or 6 other players in the NHL capable of making plays like that with Suzuki's consistency. He needs to play with a high IQ guy like Tatar asap.
Loll..what?
I know we have so little talent here so people see a guy do a pass I've done myself during beer league and think it's this unique feature but all he did was a nice pass.
Did you see him drink water on the bench? I think maybe 3-4 people in the NHL capable of drinking water like him with his consistency.
Take it easy man, it was just a nice pass.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's a pillar for the future no doubt about it. He's exactly the type of player I wanted to land in the Pacioretty deal. Plus we got Tatar. Plus Norlinder.

Hopefully soon enough, Tatar, Petry, Weber and Price will be traded for similar level prospects - and maybe even Drouin will get us one?

But yeah, Julien ain't breaking up the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line. Hopefully Kovalchuk is brought back to play with Suzuki.
What's the Kovalchuk obsession? He had 5 good games and then was pretty invisible most of the time.
He'll be 38 next season...I rather we focus on getting Suzuki a good winger he'll be able to grow with, not one who should retire.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
This is nonsense , I really like Suzuki and he is part of our future core but if you're saying under 80 points would be a dissapointment , that doesn't seem realistic...Let's look at players that hit 90+ points over the last few seasons.

2018-2019:
  • Nikita Kucherov
  • Connor McDavid
  • Patrick Kane
  • Leon Draisaitl
  • Sidney Crosby
  • Brad Marchand
  • Nathan MacKinnon
  • Johnny Gaudreau
  • Steven Stamkos
  • Aleksander Barkov
2017-2018:
  • Connor McDavid
  • Claude Giroux
  • Nikita Kucherov
  • Evgeni Malkin
  • Nathan MacKinnon
  • Taylor Hall
  • Anze Kopitar
  • Phil Kessel
  • Blake Wheeler
  • Sidney Crosby
Do you think it makes sense to project Suzuki in the same category as these players(or only a small tier under?). Especially knowing how bad Montreal is at producing top end forwards?

I am not going to make any predictions but despite how smart/talented he is , I don't think it's fair to put him that company.
The guy said 80 points. So you can't list a bunch of 90 point guys to rebut his argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad