Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

Mar 12, 2009
Nick Robertson 86 points in 46 games - 1.87 pt/game (OHL 2019-20)
Connor Brown 128 points in 68 games - 1.88 pt/game (OHL 2013-14)
Jeremy Bracco 51 points in 27 games - 1.89 pt/game (OHL 2016-17)

How many top scorers in the minors come and go? Some of these guys think they're scoring prowess will continue at the NHL level and end up playing for the KalPa Kuopio.
And others will commit to defense and establish an NHL career. Robertson was definitely a steal. The question should always be, if you or your line doesn't score do you help
your team win? Commitment to defense and keeping the opposition under unrelenting pressure is key. Think he'll be someone constantly in the opponent's face and hopefully
gets use to the NHL level.
lol why did you use Connor Browns D+2 season, and omit half of Bracco's D+2season (where he was a hair over a PPG w/ 32 in 30) to make your point? Robertson
The season you are using to compare to Robertson was his D+1 and the 55 goals in 46 games is more impressive than the other 2 seasons even if being highly selective like you are to make them look better.

At the age those two put up those numbers in the OHL, Robertson has been doing well in the minors since the OHL season has yet to start. When the OHL season starts, he is either a Leaf or a Pete.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
you raise some good points. I usually do not put much stock into Jr. Pts totals TBH. The one thing that separates Nick from Brown and Bracco is the historic rate he was able to put the puck in the net. Not his point totals. Of course Connor and Jeremy had great Jr careers/numbers. But a handful of those Pts were undoubtingly secondary pts given they were not the trigger men on their respective teams. Without any way to track how many of the assists were primary or secondary, lets pretend half of the assists for each player were primary and half were secondary for arguments sake. Add half of their assists from each of those years to their goal totals and we can get a rough estimate on Primary pts/game

Nick: 55G + 15.5A / 46 GP = *1.53 Primary pts/game

Connor: 45G + 41.5A / 68 GP = *1.27 Primary pts/game

Jeremy: 17G + 17A / 27 GP = *1.26 Primary Pts/game

Its obviously not a perfect measurement because we cannot definitively determine primary assist vs. Secondary, but my argument is Nick's ability to put the puck in the net is elite. Neither Connor or Jeremy had that.

He needs to put up good scoring numbers in the AHL... Jr is loaded with guys that score 50-60 in a season

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
lol why did you use Connor Browns D+2 season, and omit half of Bracco's D+2season (where he was a hair over a PPG w/ 32 in 30) to make your point? Robertson
The season you are using to compare to Robertson was his D+1 and the 55 goals in 46 games is more impressive than the other 2 seasons even if being highly selective like you are to make them look better.

At the age those two put up those numbers in the OHL, Robertson has been doing well in the minors since the OHL season has yet to start. When the OHL season starts, he is either a Leaf or a Pete.
also, Nick was one of the youngest players in his draft class. Making his historic D+1 season that much more impressive

Reactions: Confucius

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I feel like his value is high right now , it could get higher but it could also drop significantly. If he’s anything like his brother though , he will barely blink making the jump to the nhl . Do the leafs really need more goal scorers for the future right now though ? I feel like they are in a cup window right now and they need to take advantage of Mathews and marner while they are at there peak .
On a entry level contract definitely. Depth players cost more than Robertson presently. Depth defensemen are readily available at discount in this flat cap era.
Personally our defense as a team looks good to me. Scoring is good. Goaltending of Andersen has steadily declined over approximately 18 months. I would like to see Dubas keep our highest valued assets presently. Solidify goaltending with a tandem quality addition for Campbell if moving higher valued assets. Sandin,Robertson and Amirov don’t need to be moved. Moving high value picks seems reasonably best idea now.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I feel like his value is high right now , it could get higher but it could also drop significantly. If he’s anything like his brother though , he will barely blink making the jump to the nhl . Do the leafs really need more goal scorers for the future right now though ? I feel like they are in a cup window right now and they need to take advantage of Mathews and marner while they are at there peak .
I don’t think his value is any higher than any other good prospects still developing. He has projections with no established value like all the rest.
My thinking is that i would prefer he establishes himself as a Leaf. :)

Reactions: Bfantz

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yes, they can score 50-60 in a season. But is it loaded with guys that can score at 1.2G/Game? the answer is no. It is extremely rare to even see a player score at 1G/Game

yes that is impressive stat, but he doesn't have a history of being an elite goal scorer, he needs to get healthy and we can see where he is at

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He was. He didn’t even get comfortable and unfortunately got injured again. SHappens.

I'm talking goal scoring, Bracco racked up tons of assists and look at him now, the Marlies are usually a pretty offensively stacked AHL team, so assist arent to hard to come by if you are skilled

added: i'm just talking hockey and giving my opinion, no i dont hate Robinson or the Leaf's lol you get trolled if you talk like this in the marlie thread lol

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Stars fan here , is Robertson touchable ?

You never say never, but it would take more than most would want to give up.

The Leafs need cheap ELC talent moving forward, so it would have to be a player on an ELC, who was in a position of need. I would have traded him for Comtois... but I think given his success this year, and that he is a RFA who likely will get paid, that ship has sailed for both sides. The nearest asset that comes close to even sparking an interest, would be Harley, but then LD isn't exactly an organizational need for the Leafs, so it doesn't make a great deal of sense there either.

Of course, depending on where your 1st round 2021 pick ended up, that could be attractive... but chances are, you wouldn't find it so.

Reactions: Bfantz

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Stars fan here , is Robertson touchable ?
He’s definitely available, Dubas already indicated that any prospect is fair game. Fans here are really high on him so the reaction will probably be cold and unrealistic for the most part.
Leafs are truly in win now mode so unfortunately guys like Robertson or Sandin might need to go in order to not miss our window.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nick Robertson 86 points in 46 games - 1.87 pt/game (OHL 2019-20)
Connor Brown 128 points in 68 games - 1.88 pt/game (OHL 2013-14)
Jeremy Bracco 51 points in 27 games - 1.89 pt/game (OHL 2016-17)

How many top scorers in the minors come and go? Some of these guys think they're scoring prowess will continue at the NHL level and end up playing for the KalPa Kuopio.
And others will commit to defense and establish an NHL career. Robertson was definitely a steal. The question should always be, if you or your line doesn't score do you help
your team win? Commitment to defense and keeping the opposition under unrelenting pressure is key. Think he'll be someone constantly in the opponent's face and hopefully
gets use to the NHL level.
Bracco and Brown are two completely different players. Brown compares good to Robertson as a work ethic comparable. The differences in character are slim in Brown/Robertson. Standout difference is Brown never had that shot. Played on a better team.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
added: i'm just talking hockey and giving my opinion, no i dont hate Robinson or the Leaf's lol you get trolled if you talk like this in the marlie thread lol

Never a bad place to provide different perspective. Often times we over value prospects. There is clearly no guarantee that Nick will become an elite NHL scorer. However, removing loyalties and bias's, I think the vast majority of hockey minded individuals would say this kid is far more special than what Connor Brown and Jeremy Bracco were at the same point in development. In contrast, I was excited by Connor's pt totals when he was in junior. But was never blind to the fact that he was playing with McJesus in that year. The highest expectation I ever had for Connor brown was a 25G 50Pt player. Which he has somewhat come close to. Bracco, I always saw the skill but never saw the transferability. He's just a better skating Nic Petan. Was not worried when he left our organization TBH

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
He’s definitely available, Dubas already indicated that any prospect is fair game. Fans here are really high on him so the reaction will probably be cold and unrealistic for the most part.
Leafs are truly in win now mode so unfortunately guys like Robertson or Sandin might need to go in order to not miss our window.
That is kind of my feelings on the leafs . They need to go all in for the cup right now . They have enough prospects and picks to do that .

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Never a bad place to provide different perspective. Often times we over value prospects. There is clearly no guarantee that Nick will become an elite NHL scorer. However, removing loyalties and bias's, I think the vast majority of hockey minded individuals would say this kid is far more special than what Connor Brown and Jeremy Bracco were at the same point in development. In contrast, I was excited by Connor's pt totals when he was in junior. But was never blind to the fact that he was playing with McJesus in that year. The highest expectation I ever had for Connor brown was a 25G 50Pt player. Which he has somewhat come close to. Bracco, I always saw the skill but never saw the transferability. He's just a better skating Nic Petan. Was not worried when he left our organization TBH

I cant really get into a deep conversation about Robinson because I haven't seen him play enough, I can give a common sense with knowledge of the sport opinion and that's about it right now, if he starts playing i will watch the marlies just to get a decent opinion of him .... Bracco was a flawed player going back to his OHL days, he was never able to figure out how to play at the NHL level but was an assist machine in the AHL, there are a handful who think Bracco should have been called up to the Leaf's years ago along with Lilijgren ... Brown you could see was an NHL player in the AHL

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like he’s thriving statistically though I’m not exactly sure if this guy is pegged as a future star player or a unique middle six sniper. I still laugh when I think about the preseason comments about him chasing the game too relentlessly.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Seems like he’s thriving statistically though I’m not exactly sure if this guy is pegged as a future star player or a unique middle six sniper. I still laugh when I think about the preseason comments about him chasing the game too relentlessly.
I could see him being more of a Mike Cammalleri type player production wise, which would be fantastic. With a motor that don't quit.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I could see him being more of a Mike Cammalleri type player production wise, which would be fantastic. With a motor that don't quit.

Hopefully they reign in that motor a little bit. I think it was the bubble game he was in during the summer play in or maybe the blue and white game where he was relentlessly sweep checking a guy retreating in the neutral zone and the next day Overdrive compared his busy style to Yakupov skating like being chased by bees.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Not in their D + 1 seasons like he did though.

But agreed he needs to now show he can get passed the next step to the Leafs

Lots of guys have elite JR seasons and/or careers ... most leaf fans here considered lily the steal of draft and equal to makar from what I remember and some still do in that marlie thread lol I dont even think Lily makes the Leafs next season... Nick needs to play in the AHL and we will see

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lots of guys have elite JR seasons and/or careers ... most leaf fans here considered lily the steal of draft and equal to makar from what I remember and some still do in that marlie thread lol I dont even think Lily makes the Leafs next season... Nick needs to play in the AHL and we will see

Lots of guys do have good junior seasons, but almost none of them become the 7th in all time ohl goal scoring as early into their career like Robertson did.

I agree he still has lots to prove in the higher levels like the AHL, but lots of legitimate reasons for fans to be excited about this guy.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
What are the chances Robertson gets called up before the postseason? He could do a Kapanen and be instrumental in the playoffs.

Same question for Liljegren and Sandin but I can’t find their threads

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Bracco and Brown are two completely different players. Brown compares good to Robertson as a work ethic comparable. The differences in character are slim in Brown/Robertson. Standout difference is Brown never had that shot. Played on a better team.

Just wanted to compare some more recent players who were known for some offense numbers in the minors and how different they could be. That was my point.
I remember a lot of people being really high on Peter White, Pavel Brendl, etc... these type of guys don't always pan out. We don't even know if he'll surpass Josh Leivo as an NHL player.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

To give you a sense of how insane Robertson's D+1 season was:

Only 3 other under 19 year old players in the last 38 years have scored at his goals/game level in all of junior hockey.

Sakic, Lindros and Lemieux.

That's reason enough to get hyped no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad