Prospect Info: Nick Robertson Rookie Season potential...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I, for one, will be very disappointed if Robertson doesn't play any meaningful minutes this year. It's such a shame that the AHL isn't an option for him.
Why isn’t it an option? I thought junior was shut down.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Dubas and Keefe didn’t think Robertson has a legitimate shot at making this lineup, why would they keep him from going to the world juniors?

I think we’ll see Robertson in the top 9.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Thornton - Mikheyev
Vesey - Spezza - Simmonds

Fair to say the Dach injury situation is a worst case scenario. Maybe Robertson ends up as a fixture in the Leaf lineup this season? If not though, any amount of games that he plays in will be better than none at all. There's obviously a high opinion of him considering his appearance during the play-ins.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
My guess is 3rd line PP2 minutes for Robertson with real 20-20-40 (per 82, whatever the math is for 56) potential.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Debrincat had 50 goals in each of his first two ohl seasons. Robertson had 15 and 27 in his first two ohl seasons.

Debrincat was also among the eldest of his draft, while Robertson was the youngest.

Robertson was 16 in his OHL1 season while Debrincat was 17. 16 year olds rarely perform well in the CHL so its not surprising that his first season wasnt all that impressive.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think he will produce when he gets minutes.

Over/ under of 12 goals and I’ll take the over

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wrong thread I know, but any word on his health?

I can't remember when but generic timeline I think is in the last 3 months there was images of him skating around etc.

I still don't love the combination of his size and non-elite skating. I also think he could benefit from a shorter stick.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I can't remember when but generic timeline I think is in the last 3 months there was images of him skating around etc.

I still don't love the combination of his size and non-elite skating. I also think he could benefit from a shorter stick.
March skating in the Ford Centre:

Reactions: WTFMAN99

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
If ( I know it’s a big if) he stays healthy and plays with people that can get him the puck, he’s a 20 goal guy all day long. Players that put up numbers like he did in OHL and AHL almost always turn out be solid NHLers .

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
March skating in the Ford Centre:

Good to see. He should get a fair look as a call up
Can't see him making the line up out of the camp, considering we are pretty much set on top 6

Not sure if I would like him on bottom 6

If ( I know it’s a big if) he stays healthy and plays with people that can get him the puck, he’s a 20 goal guy all day long. Players that put up numbers like he did in OHL and AHL almost always turn out be solid NHLers .

Unless your name is Robbie Schremp....

I'll show myself out

Reactions: andora

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Can't see him making the line up out of the camp, considering we are pretty much set on top 6

I'll show myself out
Good point , always are exceptions. I watched Robertson very closely in his stint last year, I know the stats weren’t impressive but I thought he showed some promise. Put it this way, I don’t think there’s a single forward on the Marlies that would have a bigger impact with the Leafs than Robertson this coming season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I was wondering about his health too because if the Leafs could take him from IR and transfer him to LTIR that's almost 800K more, couple that with sending Dylan Gambrell down that would bring them close to where they need to be.

But if Robertson is healthy they can't do that

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It

I'll show myself out
We could have Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, Jarnkrok, Nylander and Robertson all in a top 9 role.

I’m really cheering for the kid. From everything I’ve seen, he’s a 100% effort and motor guy. Loves the gym.

Could he have some sessions with Mitch to learn how to avoid contact? If he could just stay healthy for a prolonged period of time - as well as put in a situation where he could succeed, I think that he could patch together a productive season.

We could really use hitting on a couple of guys outside of the first round like NR, Knies and Niemela. Who were the last ones? Durzi? Grundstrom? Verhaeghe?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'm so glad they kept Nick Rob, I still believe the kid will be a top 6 forward who can put up 60 points in his prime. At worst I think he ends up a jarnkrok level player. He needs to stay healthy, get pp 2 time and time in the top 9.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It

We could have Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, Jarnkrok, Nylander and Robertson all in a top 9 role.

I’m really cheering for the kid. From everything I’ve seen, he’s a 100% effort and motor guy. Loves the gym.

Could he have some sessions with Mitch to learn how to avoid contact? If he could just stay healthy for a prolonged period of time - as well as put in a situation where he could succeed, I think that he could patch together a productive season.

We could really use hitting on a couple of guys outside of the first round like NR, Knies and Niemela. Who were the last ones? Durzi? Grundstrom? Verhaeghe?
No love for Engvall I see

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
No love for Engvall I see
When we talk about guys like Engvall and Verhaeghe, we’re going back a decade. The former is the only guy out of the 4 mentioned that was drafted and developed - at least all the way to the show by the Leafs.

It looks like Knies is a lock to at least have a career at this point. If one or both of NR and TN could contribute, it would be a big win.

On a side note, I saw Niemela live in a Marlies playoff game last year and I must say that he did stick out - in a good way. Did anyone here see him for more than a game who can attest or refute that?

Reactions: fahad203

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm so glad they kept Nick Rob, I still believe the kid will be a top 6 forward who can put up 60 points in his prime. At worst I think he ends up a jarnkrok level player. He needs to stay healthy, get pp 2 time and time in the top 9.

Even if they wanted to, there is no spot open.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I wouldn't mind him on the 3rd line with Domi and Jarnkrok. He can just focus on being the shooter. It wouldn't be your protypical shut down line but it could give you 3 lines that produce.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, Jarnkrok, Nylander and Robertson

Knies and Robertson are your biggest question marks obviously but it’s reasonably possible that all 9 players could reach 20+ goals

I do think, especially given his value can’t be super high, that we need to give Robertson opportunity to make this team and show he can fit. We’ve seen glimpses of it, with injuries really being the primary thing holding him back.

End of the day, he’s only 21 and I’d say he still has real goalscoring potential at the NHL level.

Reactions: TMLAM34

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Keep Robertson in the organization for the next two seasons and see what happens. Throwing him away for some late round lottery ticket would be pointless. He's got another year of waiver exemption plus he could start the 2024-25 season as at worst the 13th forward. He absolutely could still turn into an NHL scorer and let's give it a chance to happen here. The probability of that has dropped considerably in the past two seasons but it's still higher than almost every 4th or 5th round pick.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Nick and his brother held a clinic this weekend for military affiliated youth in North Carolina (my kids attended). From all indications, Nick looked completely healthy on the ice. Take that for the situation though since it was definitely a low stress environment.

However, his skills looked better than Jason. Unbelievable mitts. Of course Jason is 6’3” and Nick is definitely not. Those two are amazing kids too. Both excellent with the kids and extremely polite.

Hoping Nick breaks out this season, even if he is a Leaf. I talked to their dad for a while and he mentioned that Nick was drafted by the team he wanted to go to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad