Prospect Info: Nick Robertson Rookie Season potential...

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Who is comparable in the NHL right now to Robertson? Who was the same approximate size and had similar points at the same age in the OHL?

He plays like Hyman but with skill, someone who can score. I can see him with JT tbh. Nothing wrong with Thorton and Spezza as linemates.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
He could also be just moved to the first two lines beccause it would spread out the experience and firepower .

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Who is comparable in the NHL right now to Robertson? Who was the same approximate size and had similar points at the same age in the OHL?

He plays like Hyman but with skill, someone who can score. I can see him with JT tbh. Nothing wrong with Thorton and Spezza as linemates.
Debrincat?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Alex DeBrincat - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps he won’t put up them kind of numbers in the nhl on taxi squad but in a full season it’s anyones guess after getting his feet wet.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011

Be it a good thing or bad thing: I couldn’t find a notable top 50 player from the last 10 years that compares.
For draft year numbers somebody like Connor Brown might apply but Robertson’s +1 absolutely demolishes Brown in comparison. Brown is a guy that was considered not the fastest skater, as is Robertson, but Brown was always moving and putting up numbers in Junior post draft.
So trajectory wise he might have a pretty high ceiling after several seasons of development. In terms of pipe dreams: Marchand was in the Q but his draft year and +1 might have a similarity to Robertson. It took awhile for Marchand: had to work his ass off for years, wait in line and be a team first guy but in the end what a pay off.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not really expecting Nicholas Robertson to be in contention to break Leaf rookie scoring records. We're not a rebuilding club where he will be getting those kinds of minutes, and I don't think Robertson is that class of prospect. For reference, the Leaf goal scoring record was held by 2 consecutive first overall picks.

Reactions: Tmart335 and Buds17

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Debrincat had 50 goals in each of his first two ohl seasons. Robertson had 15 and 27 in his first two ohl seasons.
Debrincat had 50 goals in each of his first two ohl seasons. Robertson had 15 and 27 in his first two ohl seasons.
Not to take away from Debricat as he's a great player but he played with the likes of Mcdavid and Strome in his first 2 OHL seasons. Robertson wasn't playing with anyone close to that level in any if his OHL seasons. Also played injured in his draft year.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I don't see why Robertson couldn't bump Mikheyev off JT's wing. Mikheyev is a good player, but his style is so much better suited for a third line on Kerfoot's wing, giving a high speed forechecker and puck retriever to a line that's going to grind a little more than pass tic-tac-toe for goals. Tavares is already an elite puck retriever, so that line doesn't need a Hyman type nearly as much as they would be served by having another high-quality triggerman to convert the Marner feeds.

Maybe they ultimately decide that Robertson isn't ready or needs to cut his teeth lower in the lineup, but I think that stylistically it makes most sense to put the scoring winger on the line that's going to score more goals, and put the grinder on the 3rd line. I think that Robertson can do it, based purely on the fact that I hope it is so ;) .

If Robertson makes it onto JT's line within the first 10 games and stays there, I think he could crack 30 points in the 56 game season, which would be tremendous for his age. I'll save the grandiose predictions for next year!
You think Mikheyev is a grinder?
Wow.
Robertson has shown zero at NHL level.
I will be surprised if he plays any meaningful minutes at all.
Mik is bigger ( Thanks Babs )/ stronger and faster.

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
He is just a kid. Production is not as important as learning to play a proper team game. Let him play sheltered minutes, insulate him, Let him fight for his minutes. When the time comes for playoffs he is ready to excel.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Wow.
He was 18 and scored a goal in the nhl playoffs you goof. Get a clue.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Debrincat?

debrincat scored 29,41 18 in his first 3 years and the 3rd was a shortened season

I would be very surprised if Robertson got 15 next year considering where he would be playing and the fire power we already have

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
A little 2019 redraft from the Dobber folks

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach
4. Mo Seider
5. Bowen Byram
6. Trevor Zegras
7. Alex Turcotte
8. Alex Newhook
9. Vasily Podkolzin
10. Peyton Krebs
11.Cole Caufield
12. Victor Soderstrom
13. Nicholas Robertson
14. Matt Boldy
15. Philip Broberg

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If he isn't playing every game and has bottom 6 minutes and pp2 time, I really wouldn't expect more than like 6-8-14 in 30 games. He's still 19 as well. In a year or 2 in a full season in the top 6, i'll expect 55-60 points. But I don't see the coming out party this season. If so, yowza!

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach
4. Mo Seider
5. Bowen Byram
6. Trevor Zegras
7. Alex Turcotte
8. Alex Newhook
9. Vasily Podkolzin
10. Peyton Krebs
11.Cole Caufield
12. Victor Soderstrom
13. Nicholas Robertson
14. Matt Boldy
15. Philip Broberg
Still with Caufield over Robertson eh?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach
4. Mo Seider
5. Bowen Byram
6. Trevor Zegras
7. Alex Turcotte
8. Alex Newhook
9. Vasily Podkolzin
10. Peyton Krebs
11.Cole Caufield
12. Victor Soderstrom
13. Nicholas Robertson
14. Matt Boldy
15. Philip Broberg

No Cozens seems like an oversight.

Reactions: Rob Brown

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Unless Robertson makes top 9 somehow I'm not sure I expect him to play based on who we have currently. I would expect him to play for the Marlies and come in next year.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
That’s a 22 goal, 22 assist pace. I think a very good outcome for Nick this year would be to secure a 3rd line role, and play on the 2nd PP. Hard for anyone to hit those numbers in that sort of role, nevermind a 2nd round pick who just recently turned 19. I think it’s reasonably likely that zero Leafs outside of our top 6 forwards (Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander, Hyman, Mikheyev) hit 15 goals next year.

I like Nick a lot, and think he has a really bright future, but I wouldn’t expect major production from him next year.

I think we're gonna be in for a surprise again like we were with what he showed us in that series last year. People say 15 points. I'll say about 22 points this year.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach
4. Mo Seider
5. Bowen Byram
6. Trevor Zegras
7. Alex Turcotte
8. Alex Newhook
9. Vasily Podkolzin
10. Peyton Krebs
11.Cole Caufield
12. Victor Soderstrom
13. Nicholas Robertson
14. Matt Boldy
15. Philip Broberg

Put Cozens in at #7 and slide everyone down.

Flip Caufield and Robertson.

Broberg is not Top 15 in a re draft. Simply can't process the game fast enough.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach
4. Mo Seider
5. Bowen Byram
6. Trevor Zegras
7. Alex Turcotte
8. Alex Newhook
9. Vasily Podkolzin
10. Peyton Krebs
11.Cole Caufield
12. Victor Soderstrom
13. Nicholas Robertson
14. Matt Boldy
15. Philip Broberg

I would say they should take out Krebs and Caufield for McMichael and Tomasino. I'd say slot them in 13/14 with Boldy or Broberg as 15. Cozens in the top 10, and Soderstrom and Robertson are a spot higher.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Robertson has to Shine in camp because he is waiver exempt. I’m thinking Taxi squad for him now that we have some info on how the cap will work.
He’s a hard worked/ Dedicated so never know how hard he comes out battling.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Dubas and Keefe didn’t think Robertson has a legitimate shot at making this lineup, why would they keep him from going to the world juniors?

I think we’ll see Robertson in the top 9.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Thornton - Mikheyev
Vesey - Spezza - Simmonds

Reactions: Rob Brown

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Wow.

I, for one, will be very disappointed if Robertson doesn't play any meaningful minutes this year. It's such a shame that the AHL isn't an option for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->