Prospect Info: Nick Robertson Rookie Season potential...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think the top 6 is reasonably locked in as Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander, Hyman and Mikheyev. Likely:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander

The bottom 6 will be a dogfight for spots. IMO Kerfoot is a lock, and then there's 11 guys who are at least close to NHL quality, competing for 5 spots:
  • Very likely to make the opening night roster: Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds
  • Reasonably likely: Vesey, Barbanov, Robertson (though likely at least one of these won't make it)
  • Has a realistic shot: Boyd
  • Quite unlikely: Engvall, Petan, Malgin, Joey Anderson
If Nick doesn't make the opening night roster, I do expect him to be near the front of the line for injury callups. Also, we might end up rotating the 12th forward spot between a few guys, see who does best.

In terms of point projections, probably pretty modest, as he'd be in a bottom 6 role, plus he's small and very young, just recently turned 19. I'd look to someone like Kapanen as a comparable, more than Matthews/Marner/Nylander. Kappy's stats when breaking into the league:
  • 2015/16 (D+2 season) - 9 regular season games, 0G/0A
  • 2016/17 (D+3 season) - 8 regular season games, 1G/0A; 6 playoff games, 2G/0A
  • 2017/18 (D+4 season) - 38 regular season games, 7G/1A; 7 playoff games, 1G/0A
  • 2017/18 (D+5 season) - 78 regular season games, 20G/24A; 7 playoff games, 1G/1A
This is just Nick's D+2 season, and he's super young for his draft year too, barely older than an old D+1. If he could equal Kappy's D+4 season (plays about half the games, at about 0.2 PPG), I'd consider that very successful for a young guy starting to get some NHL time in a bottom 6 role. He could easily be closer to Kappy's D+2 or D+3 seasons.

Reactions: qqaz

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think the top 6 is reasonably locked in as Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander, Hyman and Mikheyev. Likely:

The bottom 6 will be a dogfight for spots. IMO Kerfoot's spot is locked down, and then there's 11 guys who are at least close to NHL quality, competing for 5 spots - Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, Vesey, Barbanov, Robertson, Boyd, Engvall, Petan, Malgin and Joey Anderson. If I had to put them into tiers, in terms of likelihood of making the opening night roster, I'd go with:
  • Very likely: Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds
  • Reasonably likely: Vesey, Barbanov, Robertson (though likely at least one of these won't make it)
If Nick doesn't make the opening night roster, I do expect him to be near the front of the line for injury callups. Also, we might end up rotating the 12th forward spot between a few guys, see who does best.

In terms of point projections, probably pretty modest, as he'd be in a bottom 6 role, plus he's small and very young, just recently turned 19. I'd look to someone like Kapanen as a comparable, more than Matthews/Marner/Nylander. Kappy's stats when breaking into the league:
  • 2017/18 (D+5 season) - 78 regular season games, 20G/24A; 7 playoff games, 1G/1A
This is just Nick's D+2 season, and he's super young for his draft year too, barely older than an old D+1. If he could equal Kappy's D+4 season (plays about half the games, at about 0.2 PPG), I'd consider that very successful for a young guy starting to get some NHL time in a bottom 6 role.
Assuming Robertson makes their bottom 6 to start the season, I can possibly see him replacing Mikeyev in their top 6 at some point later on.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Assuming Robertson makes their bottom 6 to start the season, I can possibly see him replacing Mikeyev in their top 6 at some point later on.
I'm sure Keefe will experiment with all sorts of things for the odd shift/game, but I don't see that sticking, unless there are injuries. Mikheyev is way ahead of Robertson at this point, IMO.

I can see him getting time in the top 6 if there are injuries in the top 6, though. Kerfoot would likely be the first to move up, but then, for a winger spot, it'd be reasonably open between guys like Robertson, Vesey, Barbanov and Simmonds.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure Keefe will experiment with all sorts of things for the odd shift/game, but I don't see that sticking, unless there are injuries. Mikheyev is way ahead of Robertson at this point, IMO.

I can see him getting time in the top 6 if there are injuries in the top 6, though.
I agree that as of today Mikheyev is ahead of Robertson.

However I think he's also the most likely one who might get replaced in the top 6 by Robertson.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lol^^^

If he can get 15 goals and 15 assists in 56 games I would be happy. He definitely has potential for more in future years.
That’s a 22 goal, 22 assist pace. I think a very good outcome for Nick this year would be to secure a 3rd line role, and play on the 2nd PP. Hard for anyone to hit those numbers in that sort of role, nevermind a 2nd round pick who just recently turned 19. I think it’s reasonably likely that zero Leafs outside of our top 6 forwards (Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander, Hyman, Mikheyev) hit 15 goals next year.

I like Nick a lot, and think he has a really bright future, but I wouldn’t expect major production from him next year.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
That’s a 22 goal, 22 assist pace. I think a very good outcome for Nick this year would be to secure a 3rd line role, and play on the 2nd PP. Hard for anyone to hit those numbers in that sort of role, nevermind a 2nd round pick who just recently turned 19.

I like Nick a lot, and think he has a really bright future, but I wouldn’t expect major production from him next year.

Yes, it’s good to temper expectations. We’ll see what kind of usage he gets during the season. As of now I would consider him to be a lock to make the lineup barring injury.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think its between him and Barabanov for that last roster spot. I could see them giving it to Barabanov and not burning a year on Robertson's ELC. If there's no OHL however, Taxi Squad is extremely likely for Robertson

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

The bottom 6 will be a dogfight for spots. IMO Kerfoot is a lock, and then there's 11 guys who are at least close to NHL quality, competing for 5 spots:

This is just Nick's D+2 season, and he's super young for his draft year too, barely older than an old D+1. If he could equal Kappy's D+4 season (plays about half the games, at about 0.2 PPG), I'd consider that very successful for a young guy starting to get some NHL time in a bottom 6 role. He could easily be closer to Kappy's D+2 or D+3 seasons.
Nice breakdown, great post :) Really nailed all the variables.

Reactions: ponder

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
15 points if lucky.
Definitely a probability if he doesn’t get the playing time. There are hardly any messages coming out that makes that guess hold less or more weight than a more optimistic guess. Thats for sure.
Mikheyev didn’t show more or less in the playins. It’s interesting is my take. So much more to see to get a read on this. A couple of good players in Robertson/ Mikheyev are in a battle for top 6 minutes is where I’m at presently.
If Robertson wasn’t good defensively i would never even wonder about the competition they are likely to have in camp. Everything considered in comparing them for me, they look pretty equal. Mikheyev might be a better skater, have better slightly hockey reads( IQ) acquired with obviously more Nhl experience. Robertson might have the better shot and higher intensity.

Lots of good yet differing takes in here.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That’s a 22 goal, 22 assist pace. I think a very good outcome for Nick this year would be to secure a 3rd line role, and play on the 2nd PP. Hard for anyone to hit those numbers in that sort of role, nevermind a 2nd round pick who just recently turned 19. I think it’s reasonably likely that zero Leafs outside of our top 6 forwards (Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander, Hyman, Mikheyev) hit 15 goals next year.

I don’t think the age and-round he was selected in matters .

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think its between him and Barabanov for that last roster spot. I could see them giving it to Barabanov and not burning a year on Robertson's ELC. If there's no OHL however, Taxi Squad is extremely likely for Robertson
Another great point right here ^

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Shortened season, probable bottom 6 with some 2nd unit PP time, I think 13G. 10A 23P (about 40 point full season pace) would be a pretty good season with that usage.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Engvall isn't quite unlikely at all. Robertson is not well served on the 4th line.Everything depends on camp but Engvall can play 4th line and pk.

Reactions: Dog

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I dont think its very easy to make a Robertson prediction. Odds are he wont make the top 6 and he probably wont produce a ton...But he is definitely a candidate to surprise everyone, he has the skill and the speed to play in our top 6. He may not be polished around the edges in terms of two way play and grinding but he is pretty strong on his skates for a young smaller player. He could definitely be the better option for our 2nd line LW and i wouldnt be surprised if Dubas would want to get value for his ELC years. He could definitely end up as a rookie of the year candidate IMO but more likely he will be a 3rd liner or a healthy scratch/AHLer.

Really seems like they want him on the team by letting him skip world Js...Dubas is big on young players developing and the world Js would be good for his development.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He had around 10 shots and one goal against Columbus I think. He also just missed finishing on a nice play in game 1, probably nervous and holding the stick too tight. This was all with limited minutes against a really good defensive team.

You can see by the games he’s played and his motor+dangerous shooter mentality that you might expect a similar performance game in and game out, regardless of small sample size thus far.

If he gets the same minutes as in the playoffs he will score goals at a minimum 0.25 gpg pace. I’d bet the farm on it, you can quote me on that, it’s a done deal and so on and so forth.

Reactions: Duckrider

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'm curious to see how much weight and strength he's gained since we last saw him. At 175 lbs I think he'll be a much more competitive force. I'd cobble the following to see if it works:

Robertson Thornton Spezza

Two guys who can shoot the puck, an assist king, and vets showing the kid how to play.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm curious to see how much weight and strength he's gained since we last saw him. At 175 lbs I think he'll be a much more competitive force. I'd cobble the following to see if it works:

Robertson Thornton Spezza

Two guys who can shoot the puck, an assist king, and vets showing the kid how to play.

That would actually be a really cool line for Robertson's development. I still want him in the top6 if he can handle it, but that would be a pretty interesting 3rd line.
That's 50-58 points in an 82 game season. Won't be able to afford him ;)

I want Robertson to score so many points that he gives Brandon Pridham ulcers. I want Dubas to lay awake at night worrying about our cap because our rookies are going to need paydays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->