Injury Report: Nick Robertson - 6-8 weeks recovery as of December 10,2022

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Malgin:
1670556115320.png

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Part of good drafting is knowing what the increased risks are when you select young players that might not develop the physical attributes to play in a big mans' league. It's not rocket science. Hoping he gets well soon but nothing I've seen so far makes me rethink what I've always thought about Nick's size issues and potential for success. I think he would be more successful and have a safer, longer career playing in Europe.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I won't write him off, but it is sad to think of what might have been had Robertson's career not been affected by injuries, had Amirov not been struck with cancer, and Knies on the way up soon, fingers crossed. Our LW situation could have been a strength at this point.

Reactions: Chindis

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is worst case scenario for the leafs unfortunately.

He was starting to get consistent play time and we were hoping he’d finally get comfortable. Those that believe in him know he has a ton of potential to be an impact player. Now another injury derails that the organization is going to have to invest a lot in to rebuild Robertson’s confidence moving forward. & now that’s another top six player our for us.

Additionally Robertson was probably our biggest trade chip if we wanted to make a splash this year. Now he’s injured. So That hurts his value. So unfortunate for the organization as a whole.

Best case is they keep him once he returns and he finds a way to contribute

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Dude should take a page out of Malgin's and Kerfoot's book on "How small dudes play in the nhl." Wish him well.

Kerfoot's got 2" on Robertson (by the book; I wouldn't be surprised if it's more). I'd say he should learn more from tiny man Nathan Gerbe who bulked up his lower body and used his low center of gravity to be strong on his feet. Robertson loses his balance way too easily.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
but I worry when I see Robertson go towards the boards at times. Very thin line between wreckless and aggressive.

This is the problem with some younger, small players who haven't figured out how to minimize risk and therefore avoid injury when often playing against much bigger, heavier opponents.

I appreciate Nick's drive on that play to try and get the puck, but him being completely outmuscled was a foregone conclusion. A few too many of those and, well, here we are.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dude should take a page out of Malgin's and Kerfoot's book on "How small dudes play in the nhl." Wish him well.

Yeah, there's no hard and fast rule about what kind of game a smaller player should play but looking at the way Robertson plays, I have a lot of thoughts.

He's got a lot of skill and a wicked shot, but wants to get mixed up physically at inopportune times. Kind of chases the game too much and doesn't have the size or strength to battle once he catches up to the play. I think he's been too eager to want to pop and impress instead of letting the game come to him, slow down and fit in. There's some shifts where you see a little flash of offensive potential, but then a lot of chaos and getting out muscled somewhere else. He was also having a terrible shift before he ran into Matt Roy. Jumped off the boards and just immediately got tangled up with the defenseman for the puck after the Leafs were in complete flow for a couple of minutes in the Kings zone and then stumbled around to the net.

But that's also on the Leafs for not giving him a little runway to be an every day guy and get comfortable. Now he has to get healthy and just keep coming back.

Reactions: KitchenSink

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hate to see it.

Hope it isn’t too bad.

Robertson needs to take a page out of Martin St. Louis book on how to thrive as a smaller man. It took MSL a while to find his way too….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad