Injury Report: Nick Robertson - 6-8 weeks recovery as of December 10,2022

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The kid can’t catch a break - It almost feels like watching him that he’s almost trying too hard.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah, there's no hard and fast rule about what kind of game a smaller player should play but looking at the way Robertson plays, I have a lot of thoughts.

He's got a lot of skill and a wicked shot, but wants to get mixed up physically at inopportune times. Kind of chases the game too much and doesn't have the size or strength to battle once he catches up to the play. I think he's been too eager to want to pop and impress instead of letting the game come to him, slow down and fit in. There's some shifts where you see a little flash of offensive potential, but then a lot of chaos and getting out muscled somewhere else. He was also having a terrible shift before he ran into Matt Roy. Jumped off the boards and just immediately got tangled up with the defenseman for the puck after the Leafs were in complete flow for a couple of minutes in the Kings zone and then stumbled around to the net.

But that's also on the Leafs for not giving him a little runway to be an every day guy and get comfortable. Now he has to get healthy and just keep coming back.
On the flip side, maybe it’s on the Leafs for letting him play, when it’s obvious he’s not ready. A few of us, myself included have repeated that they were ok with him sitting, that he clearly wasn’t strong enough in the core and legs to compete, and that he lacks balance, often ending up on his butt.

In hindsight, getting hurt again was almost predictable.

He’s got the heart of a lion, and you can’t teach it… it’s also hard to tame. Even despite being small, at lower levels he’s been able to physically compete. At the pro level… no. It’s kind of the opposite of Engvall. You wish Engvall had that physicality, he’d be an absolute beast, but with Robertson it’s a danger to himself.

Buddy needs some serious gym time. Straight up power stuff, single leg work and plyometrics. He probably needs someone to talk to him about survival too.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I find it funny that Robertson is getting absolutely manhandled at the NHL level and the next guy to call up is the beast known only as SDA. I don't see why we need to force feed kids who are clearly not ready for the physicality.

It's not luck, it's not a bad break, he's not physically ready for the NHL...it really is quite simple.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The problem is he plays like he has Pierre Engvalls body. It’s just too much force on a smaller frame.

If you mixed Nick Robertson style with Pierre Engvalls body, now that would be terrifying to play against.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not sure why he feels he needs to bulldoze when he should be sly and slippery with his size.

His career isn't going to turn out the way he wants it to if he refuses to adjust to the rigors of the NHL.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
On the flip side, maybe it’s on the Leafs for letting him play, when it’s obvious he’s not ready. A few of us, myself included have repeated that they were ok with him sitting, that he clearly wasn’t strong enough in the core and legs to compete, and that he lacks balance, often ending up on his butt.

He’s got the heart of a lion, and you can’t teach it… it’s also hard to tame. Even despite being small, at lower levels he’s been able to physically compete. At the pro level… no. It’s kind of the opposite of Engvall. You wish Engvall had that physicality, he’d be an absolute beast, but with Robertson it’s a danger to himself.

Buddy needs some serious gym time. Straight up power stuff, single leg work and plyometrics. He probably needs someone to talk to him about survival too.
I've gone into this before, it is not just strength, it is body type, genetics and posture. He does not have the genes conducive to being a St. Louis/Hoglander/Rossi/Zetterlund who have tree trunks for legs. He also plays at a mechanical disadvantage leaning forward/bent over.

Robertson is 5'10" 183lbs but top heavy naturally. That is fairly filled out for his height (same weight as Hoglander, but way worse balance). He can get stronger but these issues will persist.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I'm sorry but some players know how to avoid injuries, and others don't.

Roberston has been injured almost his entire pro career

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

Holy shit. I was telling my dad your 3rd paragraph almost to the word tonight!! Lol.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sure why he feels he needs to bulldoze when he should be sly and slippery with his size.

His career isn't going to turn out the way he wants it to if he refuses to adjust to the rigors of the NHL.

Reminds me of Soshnikov who would try to be a wrecking ball at his size but it's ineffective at this level and causes injury issues.

Except Robertson has more talent.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Reminds me of Soshnikov who would try to be a wrecking ball at his size but it's ineffective at this level and causes injury issues.

Except Robertson has more talent.

Nick has unique pressures right now.

1) Quasi top forward prospect
2) Playing in Toronto
3) Living in his brothers shadow

I'm left wondering game after game I see him play what actually got him to this point.

Other than an ability to get open for a shot and play that's created for him, I haven't seen any roundedness in his game at all.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nick has unique pressures right now.

1) Quasi top forward prospect
2) Playing in Toronto
3) Living in his brothers shadow

I'm left wondering game after game I see him play what actually got him to this point.

Other than an ability to get open for a shot and play that's created for him, I haven't seen any roundedness in his game at all.

I tend to agree .. I mean his AHL numbers are good so he's doing something right. I'd guess it's a combination of hard work, offensive IQ (being in the right place at the right time), and using his shot that have gotten him there.

But the NHL is a different level speed and space .. and it's evident he has a lot to learn how to create his own space out there and win those tough battles.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't know that sending him down is useful, he has enough time to find space in a slower AHL and it's full of headhunters trying to make a name for themselves. It's at the point where the best thing for him would be taking the majority of the year off and just focus on bulking up. The things he needs to learn offensively in terms of finding time and space are only going to be learned at NHL speed but he needs to be able to handle the physicality of it to learn them.

Spending 3 months in the offseason rehabbing injuries and adding 3 pounds isn't going to cut it unless he wants to become a regular in 2026.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
It wasn't even that vicious of a hit
How did he get injured so bad

I feel like that play happens 999 out of 1000 times without injury

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I'm sorry but some players know how to avoid injuries, and others don't.

Roberston has been injured almost his entire pro career
Maybe he should watch how Caufield and DeBrincat play and try to be more like them. Those guys are even shorter and they seem to be able to do alright in avoiding injuries so far.

With Robertson injured I hope another guy like Steeves can come up and get a chance so that we can see what he can do.

Reactions: rdogg

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder if Dubas's focus is going to turn from adding a D man to adding a forward because now Robertson and Jarnkork are out.

Jarnkork doesn't sound like he's overly long term but that is 2 top 9 guys.

The defense is holding up nicely which I'm still amazed at

Reactions: kb

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Shoulder injury it looked like. Really sucks for the kid. Get well.

Injuries this year have been brutal.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Hopefully he’ll be okay. Getting ragdolled from such an innocuous play is concerning though. He really needs to decide whether he’s going to be a Marchand/Gallagher type player or a Debrincat/Caufield type player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder if Dubas's focus is going to turn from adding a D man to adding a forward because now Robertson and Jarnkork are out.

Jarnkork doesn't sound like he's overly long term but that is 2 top 9 guys.

The defense is holding up nicely which I'm still amazed at
Robertson wasn’t locked into the top 9 anyway.
They were giving him every chance but he hardly took a spot and ran with it.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
This guy is becoming a poor man's version of a poor man's Andreas Johnsson. In typical Dubas fashion the peak value for trade is now gone. Should have pulled the trigger a while ago.
Notice you only post once a week now. This place needs your savage way of defending the core and savage way you pin everything on Dubas if they falter, which is 100% true.

• Haha
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Robertson wasn’t locked into the top 9 anyway.
They were giving him every chance but he hardly took a spot and ran with it.

True but as of last night he was there, he wasin that spot? and now we have a hole there so who slots in? Kerfoot? f*** I hope not

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Looks like he might have dislocated his shoulder which would put him in the pressbox for 3/4 months. Hopefully I’m wrong though.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad