Confirmed with Link: Nick Ritchie to Toronto (2x2.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pretty much.
I still remember how some here mocked the signing of Hainsy instead of Hunwick. Since the Pens opted to sign Hunwick instead of Hainsy.
I think depth signings are all about teams needs within their budget.

The very same poster you are responding to here, in fact

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I don't really give a shit about what Boston thinks of Ritchie.

I just hope the Leafs are right in their assessment of him. I think there's a good chance he could outperform his contract and become a fixture in the lineup.

[Hope is always the last thing to abandon us.]

You don't care about what an orginazation that is far more successful then us and is always competing..... And lean on the opinion of an orginazation that's the running joke of the league with it's current management?

How does one even respond to that? There's literally no logic to that at all

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
You stick Ritchie in front of the goalie on pp and he might be okay...otherwise he will be the most frustrating player to watch 5 on 5.
I have read a bunch of posts on the bruins board that kind of echo this sentiment. I guess time will tell, but it would make sense why Boston just let him walk only to replace him with a player 10 years his senior and who costs 1.5x as much.

hopefully he has a strong offseason and is excited at the prospect of playing with Matthews and Marner potentially. As a previous poster mentioned, there is absolutely no way he could be slower or as ineffective as Jumbo was last year, so he really doesn't have a high bar to reach.

Reactions: Beaumaris

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I have read a bunch of posts on the bruins board that kind of echo this sentiment. I guess time will tell, but it would make sense why Boston just let him walk only to replace him with a player 10 years his senior and who costs 1.5x as much.

hopefully he has a strong offseason and is excited at the prospect of playing with Matthews and Marner potentially. As a previous poster mentioned, there is absolutely no way he could be slower or as ineffective as Jumbo was last year, so he really doesn't have a high bar to reach.

Jumbo and Ritchie are allot alike = lackadaisical - it will drive you crazy

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Your reminder that Boston was worse than the Leafs last year, and have likely become even worse with their offseason changes.
can you remind me what our record against the B's was last season ?

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I guess time will tell, but it would make sense why Boston just let him walk only to replace him with a player 10 years his senior and who costs 1.5x as much.

Both Toronto and Boston have recently thought that Foligno is still the very good player he was a couple years ago - a guy who can be defensively effective in big minutes against elite competition, while still contributing a bit of offense too. Toronto gave up a 1st rounder for that and Boston signed him to a 2yr mid money deal for that.

But he didn't look like that kind of player last year, either for columbus or for Toronto, so we'll see if he can get back to that for Boston the next couple years.

Ritchie is what he is - a guy with solid puck skills and physical presence, but quite slow. He's been a solid middle 6 winger - a guy you ideally want as your #4/5/6 winger. At this point Toronto is looking for a #3 winger, though, and Ritchie might get that opportunity first even though he's probably not good enough to fill that role successfully. But, the leafs have a bunch of other options to fill that role if he doesn't - Kase, Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Robertson, Bunting, Spezza all have a chance of being that guy.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Worse at what? Certainly not at winning playoff games that's for sure.

If one has an agenda that involves putting a positive spin on everything this team does, then it's logical to brag how awesome it is to be a top 10 team during the regular season and ignore the fact that we always suck in the playoffs.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If one has an agenda that involves putting a positive spin on everything this team does, then it's logical to brag how awesome it is to be a top 10 team during the regular season and ignore the fact that we always suck in the playoffs.

Sounds about right.

Crazier thing is I've seen posters on here try to convince people that somehow regular season success means more than playoff success and that we're ungrateful complainers for not appreciating this awesome "top 5" team. That's how desperate some are getting trying to convince themselves this team is good.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sounds about right.

Crazier thing is I've seen posters on here try to convince people that somehow regular season success means more than playoff success and that we're ungrateful complainers for not appreciating this awesome "top 5" team. That's how desperate some are getting trying to convince themselves this team is good.

I was about to say very well put but I feel obliged to point out that we haven't cracked the top 5 even once. We're a top 10 team regular season team and we suck in the playoffs, that about sums it up IMO.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad