Player Discussion Nick Ritchie - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
I recently picked up a ball hockey game, first time playing ball hockey in about 6 years, so really my first time running in six years. It's hard on the old joints. Back, hips, knees, they all hurt after a game.

I tried a couple of seasons playing ball hockey and quickly realized that half the guys playing never played ice hockey before, thus had zero control or respect with their sticks. Just swinging from last Tuesday at ankles and following through on slap shots as if they were playing golf. I quit that shit before losing my teeth.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I tried a couple of seasons playing ball hockey and quickly realized that half the guys playing never played ice hockey before, thus had zero control or respect with their sticks. Just swinging from last Tuesday at ankles and following through on slap shots as if they were playing golf. I quit that shit before losing my teeth.

I'm lucky that most guys in my crew have played both. But your right about guys who never played on the ice before, they think they are still out playing in the street. I also find some guys who never played any minor hockey take ball hockey too seriously, so you get more aggressive players with their sticks.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I heard Nick Ritchie went into a restaurant and ate everything in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant
I heard Nick Ritchie went into a restaurant where the entire Tampa Bay Lightening team was eating. Nick took all their food from them, ate it and then made them all "enjoy" his flatulence while he laughed hysterically.

Reactions: CDJ

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
What I don't get is people saying "he gained 30-40 lbs" like it's an absolute fact. Yet had Danton Heinen gained weight it would have been great and it somehow would have made him harder to move off the puck or whatever.

I swear 3/4 of the people on this board hate any form of physicality from this team and love the passive Heinens of the world. They all must love our passive coach.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What I don't get is people saying "he gained 30-40 lbs" like it's an absolute fact. Yet had Danton Heinen gained weight it would have been great and it somehow would have made him harder to move off the puck or whatever.

I swear 3/4 of the people on this board hate any form of physicality from this team and love the passive Heinens of the world. They all must love our passive coach.
Yah where is this 30 or 40 lbs weight gain coming from

it’s sad Bruins fans are so soft these days

Whoever said Ritchie will be waived at camp send me a PM i would like to put a cash bet on it

unless Heinen turns into a 60 plus point player who can play on my top 6 I’ll take Ritchie every day of the week

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

Whoever said Ritchie will be waived at camp send me a PM i would like to put a cash bet on it

unless Heinen turns into a 60 plus point player who can play on my top 6 I’ll take Ritchie every day of the week
We could get much tougher from within by simply putting Ritchie and Frederick into the lineup and benching stiffs like Cassidy favorite Par Lindholm.

Not to hijack this thread, but what are your thoughts on Fredericks number change? To me it means he is thought of as a regular.

Reactions: Fenian24 and DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We could get much tougher from within by simply putting Ritchie and Frederick into the lineup and benching stiffs like Cassidy favorite Par Lindholm.

Not to hijack this thread, but what are your thoughts on Fredericks number change? To me it means he is thought of as a regular.
I didn’t hear about number change

my rooting interest is For Ritchie to be a successful third line LW

Ritchie-Coyle - Smith
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner

this is what I want based on current roster

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020

This is how the team should look.....If Ritchie is not at the Roberts camp getting in shape. I dont want him. I have to think a long time to see a player so out of shape and dis interested looking. As for Frederick.....What has he proven? I remember being very un impressed. Is he an NHL skater....I am not sure. Plus, he is not a scorer......I have to see him skate. I want fast hard skating fourth liners...not slug pluggers...This team still needs a number 1 or 1A D man....And a number two wing. The way i see it is this based on what we have now.....

Marchand Bergie Smith
????? Krejci-Pasta
DeBrusk-Coyle-Kuhlman
Wagner-Kuraly-Lindholm

We have Bjork Frederick Kase, Ritchie on the outs for me...till they can prove they deserve a play..........For me...Bjork and Frederick have shown me nothing. Studs...I like a lot. The D is interesting....McAvoy is a 1b....
I would like to see Chara back...But as a 5=6 guy. We have to go young and gamble....But if what i am hearing we MUST get Hanifon,,,,,,Thats a must.
I would also explore what Carlo could bring. I understand his percieved value....But i also think that his game is over rated. I think both Vaak and from some reports i have seen on Zaboril.....They can both be as good or better then Carlo. Carlo is a number 4 Dman. I dont get all the love for the guy.

Louzan McAvoy
Vaakanainan--Carlo
Zboril--Clifton

Gryz, Chara, Moore Miller if healthy. ........This is a weak defense. It is not talented enough. Now if Zboril and Vaak turn into top 4 guys, it could be very good. Big IF. Plus we have to hope Louzan can be a top guy.....We need Hanifan or OEL........For me we have two guys we could trade with Value. DeBrusk who i like and Carlo who is OK......Vaak is trade bait also....Only because i think his value could be high.

Reactions: Blowfish

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Ritchie-Coyle - Smith
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner

this is what I want based on current roster
That is a very good bottom six, nice mix of speed, size, grit, some goal scoring and skill. Then you have a world class top line and David Krejci being given the Adam Oates minor leaguer of the week award winner on his right with DeBrusk at LW.

A goalie who has detractors and supporters but is at the very least good in the regular season and then the D which past the top 2 of McAvoy ad Carlo is a mess and question marks. Add Hanafin or an good top 3 D and all of a sudden they are at the very least competitive in the new division set up for this year.

Time to move some of the D prospects for an established player.

Ritchie can easily equal and surpass Mr. Excitement Heinen's points playing on that line and in one game would be more physical than a year of Heinen.

Besides the fans who love passive hockey maybe everybody should remember all they gave up for Ritchie was Heinen, in other words pretty much nothing. Would I rather have Matt Martin as my fourth line LW this year? Yes, but Martin doesn't have the potential at this point to be a 35-40 point scorer, Ritchie does.

Deal Wagner for Ross Johnston or one of the "book it" D prospects. Make the Cassidy supporters cry with a line of Ritchie-Frederic-Johnston.

Reactions: DKH

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This is how the team should look.....If Ritchie is not at the Roberts camp getting in shape. I dont want him. I have to think a long time to see a player so out of shape and dis interested looking. As for Frederick.....What has he proven? I remember being very un impressed. Is he an NHL skater....I am not sure. Plus, he is not a scorer......I have to see him skate. I want fast hard skating fourth liners...not slug pluggers...This team still needs a number 1 or 1A D man....And a number two wing. The way i see it is this based on what we have now.....

Marchand Bergie Smith
????? Krejci-Pasta
DeBrusk-Coyle-Kuhlman
Wagner-Kuraly-Lindholm

We have Bjork Frederick Kase, Ritchie on the outs for me...till they can prove they deserve a play..........For me...Bjork and Frederick have shown me nothing. Studs...I like a lot. The D is interesting....McAvoy is a 1b....
I would like to see Chara back...But as a 5=6 guy. We have to go young and gamble....But if what i am hearing we MUST get Hanifon,,,,,,Thats a must.
I would also explore what Carlo could bring. I understand his percieved value....But i also think that his game is over rated. I think both Vaak and from some reports i have seen on Zaboril.....They can both be as good or better then Carlo. Carlo is a number 4 Dman. I dont get all the love for the guy.

Louzan McAvoy
Vaakanainan--Carlo
Zboril--Clifton

Gryz, Chara, Moore Miller if healthy. ........This is a weak defense. It is not talented enough. Now if Zboril and Vaak turn into top 4 guys, it could be very good. Big IF. Plus we have to hope Louzan can be a top guy.....We need Hanifan or OEL........For me we have two guys we could trade with Value. DeBrusk who i like and Carlo who is OK......Vaak is trade bait also....Only because i think his value could be high.
Let me see if I am following your logic. Lndholm and Kuhlman have proven they are NHL players but Frederic, Kase and Ritchie aren't even though Kase and Ritchie have been NHL players for years and Kase has almost 100 points in 200 games?

Zboril and Vaak should be gifted spots and you are ok with an inexperienced D because they have proven so much.

You don't want "pluggers" which I assume in your terminology is anybody physical that doesn't score but are ok with Par ####### Lindholm bringing his numerous offensive skills to the table on a regular basis with proven goal scoring threat Karson Kuhlman??

Got it.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Ritchie-Coyle - Smith
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner

this is what I want based on

What are you thinking for Studnicka and Kase? Or is this for the period when Marchand and Pasta are out?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is how I see it and how I would build it with what I have available

2020 was an isolated island to me so this is how I am looking at construction- not adding Hoffman or trading for Bennett or anyone named Foligno ~ this is all about working only with what you have

In no order

1. the Ritchie to Gary Roberts camp was a brilliant idea but I’m assuming didn’t happen with the screwed up summer tournament and the existing pandemic

still they should and whip his ass into shape - I would have their skating guru work with him continuously

I’d have a plan designed for him centered around the style Mike Knuble played and assign Sacco or Pandolfo to continuously work with him

Third line LW heavy rod hockey style who can provide shade when the coach (hopefully) points out certain opponents need to be cooled off

my third line is vital

Ritchie - Coyle - Smith

2. Frederic

my fourth line is built around Kuraly & Wagner

Frederic personally I’d want on LW however I get the rosters and Frederic has options

I expect him a regular by end of season and If I had to start in Providence as a C I would

long term he’s a key fixture on my bottom 6 and a guy I 100% protect

right now my Expected forward protection is

Bergeron
Pastrnak
Marchand
DeBrusk
Coyle
Frederic

the 7th spot is open for the Kase, Smith, Ritchie, Bjork etc

Frederic is 20 and I’ve watched him in Providence and I’m a fan

he’s got a plus shot
His skating is definitely good enough - I see 0.0 issues at next level (and neither does Leach who’s brutally honest)
He’s tough as they come
Excellent defensively - yes excellent

Studnicka exempt
Krejci a UFA

Personally

Frederic-Kuraly -Wagner

but I get based on situations at play to start without camp

Bjork-Kuraly- Wagner

3. Top 2 lines

I split Pastrnak & Marchand other than PP and last minute period 1 & 2 reunite

Marchand-Bergeron- Kase

I need to see Kase in shape and with skilled players especially Marchand who is an elite and underrated playmaker

If he falters you can flip Pastrnak back

DeBrusk - Krejci- Pastrnak

split up the two world class 100 point wingers and actually give the other coaches something to plan for

let them decide who gets their best checkers - and the more they play their checkers the less they play skilled guys

4. STUDNICKA

wild card who belongs

he could play RW with Coyle and flip Smith higher

or he could play third line C with Coyle sliding up if either 37 or 46 out

he has options so they may start him in Providence while they sort out

puck possession he’s a beast and he’s clean but has grit and plays 200 feet

Three things he showed in Providence

1. Anticipation ~ he sees the ice he’s got the mind to match the physical part

2. Hands - his ridiculous number of shorties were mostly deft moves on the goalie ~ this should with the anticipation put him in the top 6 in time likely a strong second line center

3. grit

he does not take well to cheap shots or any over the line activity that came his way

I saw him spend 3 zones on one shift go after a guy who cheap shotted him in the offensive zone - finally getting his pound of flesh in the defensive zone

He could be anywhere
Providence
Center if one of top 4 out
RW next to Coyle

5. Senyshyn, Kuhlman, Lindholm

I’m on board with Senyshyn. He’s got size and can skate and absolutely competed for loose pucks and went to dirty areas

had they not resigned Wagner I could have envisioned this

Frederic-Kuraly - Senyshyn

will he get waived to be sent down or due to COVID season be exempt on a 25-30 man expanded roster

Kuhlman I like and as a 4th liner bottom 6 I’m ok - lacks the size I want but has spirit, high hockey sense, good skills

if he’s in though I would rather have Frederic- Kuraly with him to keep the line with size

If Lindholm in same - Wagner/Senyshyn & Frederic

6. DEFENSE

The questions are who to pair with McAvoy & Carlo

Is Chara coming back

I’m assuming Chara is not but obviously that could change today / they got the money for him and he knows the schedule

takes two to tango though

So logic says put Grzelcyk with McAvoy and create a puck transition monster / an off the charts anticipation duo with familiarity

the best defense as Wayne Gretzky proved is have the puck yourself

I’d also start these two on any offensive zone face off I could

??? - CARLO

Carlo recently turned 24 and already has 300+ NHL games

he did not play well in the bubble

however he was very good in the regular season and his metrics were outstanding

Growing up I heard over and over it takes a defenseman till 27 and hundreds of games to get comfortable- I remember thinking that when the Bruins traded Brad McCrimmon back in early 80’s at age 22 and had they held on to him and played with Bourque all those years he’s in HOF.

Carlo needs to be a notch more assertive in his physical play but even that was starting to inch into his game. He’s a nice guy as there is but I’d like to see a good cross check get the F out of the crease mentality

as for a D partner ?

Lauzon works although some think a Lauzon-Carlo pairing would be lacking in breakouts. It doesn’t hurt the Columbus second pairing and I think both Lauzon & Carlo are big strong skaters who can do that

that said

Zboril and or Vaakanainen both mid first round picks and regular key players on the top team in the AHL both are very good in this area

John Moore who played well till his shoulder separation which he played in a brace/harness could and should also get a look

I don’t dislike him at all

he’s got size he can skate he takes the body

I’m fine with him

assuming you go with third pair

Lauzon- Clifton

I open up second pair to
Moore
Zboril
Vaakanainen

if Vaakanainen doesn’t win it he’s in Providence

as for Kevan Miller

I’m a fan - tough guy, underrated

he needs to stay healthy and show it before I get him in

Zboril & Lauzon are on my team be it regular rotation top 6 or top 8 one of two extras

time to find out instead of listening to some guy living in Yellowknife who hasn’t watched 10 minutes telling me the guy a bum

Let’s actually give them a chance

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Ritchie was drafted as a big kid with questionable motor; he was already 6'2, 230 at 18. In my eyes, he was 240 pushing 250 last year.

I'm not sure if at 7 years later he's going to suddenly change who he is as a pro. His weight and slow feet have always been the things holding him back from progressing as a top power forward.

If I'm the Bruins, i try to bank on his strengths and help him focus on being a Reaves/Martin type on the 4th line. Someone who's gonna hit big, agitate, play a little dirty, start some fights, and suprise you with around 10 goals.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
"Third line LW heavy rod hockey style who can provide shade when the coach (hopefully) points out certain opponents need to be cooled off"

Didn't want to respond to the whole DKH Bible, so just this line about Ritchie.

Players that play this role really shouldn't need to be told by anyone to cool off a certain opponent. If they do need that, they really aren't suited for the role. I just don't think Nick has that element in him.

If the Bruins staff can turn Ritchie into the player you are hoping for, huge kudos to them.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Ritchie was drafted as a big kid with questionable motor; he was already 6'2, 230 at 18. In my eyes, he was 240 pushing 250 last year.

I'm not sure if at 7 years later he's going to suddenly change who he is as a pro. His weight and slow feet have always been the things holding him back from progressing as a top power forward.

If I'm the Bruins, i try to bank on his strengths and help him focus on being a Reaves/Martin type on the 4th line. Someone who's gonna hit big, agitate, play a little dirty, start some fights, and suprise you with around 10 goals.

Still too early to say Ritchie can't change or take the next step. Go look at Tom Wilson's numbers before he turned 25. There are a lot of parallels to Nick Ritchie's career. Most Caps fans wanted Wilson gone (who actually was less productive than Ritchie to that point in his career). I hope the Bruins still intend to make him a top 9 guy, he has the talent.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
"Third line LW heavy rod hockey style who can provide shade when the coach (hopefully) points out certain opponents need to be cooled off"

Didn't want to respond to the whole DKH Bible, so just this line about Ritchie.

Players that play this role really shouldn't need to be told by anyone to cool off a certain opponent. If they do need that, they really aren't suited for the role. I just don't think Nick has that element in him.

If the Bruins staff can turn Ritchie into the player you are hoping for, huge kudos to them.

He had that element. His early days in Anaheim he would show it. The problem is it would lead to some stupid penalties and maybe the coaches discouraged him. But he certainly had it in him at some point and the Bruins need to get him playing that way again.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Still too early to say Ritchie can't change or take the next step. Go look at Tom Wilson's numbers before he turned 25. There are a lot of parallels to Nick Ritchie's career. Most Caps fans wanted Wilson gone (who actually was less productive than Ritchie to that point in his career). I hope the Bruins still intend to make him a top 9 guy, he has the talent.

There's two big differences between them: one is skating and two is Wilson plays engaged hockey while Ritchie's level of intensity tends to come and go. A fast, engaged big bodied forward will always find a place in this league at the very least as a 4th line guy while a lethargic skater who has trouble with fitness
will struggle.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
There's two big differences between them: one is skating and two is Wilson plays engaged hockey while Ritchie's level of intensity tends to come and go. A fast, engaged big bodied forward will always find a place in this league at the very least as a 4th line guy while a lethargic skater who has trouble with fitness
will struggle.

I agree with Wilson being faster/a better skater but I think people are mixing up being out of shape with being a bad skater. Ritchie isn't a bad skater, he needs to get in shape.

I'm not here saying I guarantee Ritchie will turn into a consistent, physical 40-45 point power forward. It's still a toss up, and if he doesn't get in shape then he has zero chance. But he has a better chance then most posters think and I'd rather see him on the third line getting his chances than Bjork or Kuhlman.

Reactions: JOKER 192
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad