Player Discussion Nick Ritchie - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I dont get how players can be lazy. You're playing a kids game and getting paid. Countless people want to be in your spot. Some people maybe should be in your spot and youre lazy?

Dont get that mind frame

Reactions: BMC

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I dont get how players can be lazy. You're playing a kids game and getting paid. Countless people want to be in your spot. Some people maybe should be in your spot and youre lazy?

Dont get that mind frame

His training or lack of proper training and genetics are holding him back at being a faster player. Ritchie I think has his slow twitch muscles developed more than fast twitch muscles. In Junior he got away with just over powering guys. In the NHL he is up against the best of the best. This is part of the reason why he can be a second too slow and at times and is caught reaching and taking penalties or being out of position.

I do not know why he did not address that during his time off in between the season stoppage and the bubble start. That was as long as any off-season and prep should have been done to change it. The staff must have laid out a regiment for the players to do in isolation, the professionals heeded it.

He needs to get lighter and quicker, the staff will help him the way they did with Miller. They are very similar, heavy guys that have limited puck and skating skills. Miller fixed his stride, pivoting and endurance. Get him to the teams nutritionist, power skating coach and psychologist (it helped Marchand). Wherever he is now he should be in the gym doing quickness, explosive drills and less power stuff, till he gets back to Boston and the camps.

Muscle Fibre Development for Hockey | Mind To Muscle

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
His training or lack of proper training and genetics are holding him back at being a faster player. Ritchie I think has his slow twitch muscles developed more than fast twitch muscles. In Junior he got away with just over powering guys. In the NHL he is up against the best of the best. This is part of the reason why he can be a second too slow and at times and is caught reaching and taking penalties or being out of position.

I do not know why he did not address that during his time off in between the season stoppage and the bubble start. That was as long as any off-season and prep should have been done to change it. The staff must have laid out a regiment for the players to do in isolation, the professionals heeded it.

He needs to get lighter and quicker, the staff will help him the way they did with Miller. They are very similar, heavy guys that have limited puck and skating skills. Miller fixed his stride, pivoting and endurance. Get him to the teams nutritionist, power skating coach and psychologist (it helped Marchand). Wherever he is now he should be in the gym doing quickness, explosive drills and less power stuff, till he gets back to Boston and the camps.

he might now have the hockey iq. But we will see. We did only get a small sample of him. He made the team worse imo. But who knows. Maybe this year he takes another step and proves me wrong

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

blurbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Somerville, MA
Visit site

Dont get that mind frame

Probably because it's a job. No matter what job you do, and how much you enjoy it, do you always give 100% every minute of every day you're at work? If you enjoy something as a kid, but then have to constantly do it for the rest of your life, maybe you won't love it as much.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Probably because it's a job. No matter what job you do, and how much you enjoy it, do you always give 100% every minute of every day you're at work? If you enjoy something as a kid, but then have to constantly do it for the rest of your life, maybe you won't love it as much.

This is so true. In my own life, I used to love history- until I had to do it for a living. Now I like it sometimes, and hate it sometimes, but there are days when I am mailing it in no doubt.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I happened to come across the 2015 WJC Gold Medal game on Youtube which features none other than Nick Ritchie, along with some McDavid guy.

Anyways, one thing that struck me was watching Ritchie skate. He could get around pretty darn well for a big man back at age 18/19. He's clearly to my eyes anyways a lesser skater now than he was then.

Reactions: Blowfish

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

I doubt that double burgers and fries at Burger Priest are on his nutritionist’s to do list.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
He was pretty good player for Anaheim. Clearly flawed in many respects, but even so he has shown he can be a net positive in the NHL as a middle-6 player. Much more talented than his brother. If he can show some professionalism he could surprise people.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
No matter what he's still a better option than Par Lindholm and several of the other stiffs that Cassidy loves so much.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If they could get his weight down somewhere between 210-220 there's a good player there. My guess is he's over 250 lbs. now. In the Sportsnet 2014 draft preview he was listed at 226 lbs. and he looks much thicker now than he did in the WJC game I watched last night.

SN had Ritchie ranked ahead of even Draisaitl in their draft rankings (Ritchie was #3, Draisaitl #4).

SN on Ritchie:

“A physically punishing winger with a diamond-cutter’s hands.”

Diamond-cutter's hands eh? A bit of a stretch. But it shows he's not just a plug and has some skill.

The Top 30: Sportsnet's Exclusive 2014 NHL Draft Rankings 1 - 10 - Sportsnet.ca

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

This is so true. In my own life, I used to love history- until I had to do it for a living. Now I like it sometimes, and hate it sometimes, but there are days when I am mailing it in no doubt.

I'm a professional artist and work for myself - and I still mail it in a lot of the time. I'm not lazy, but quite often my focus is either not there or I don't focus on what I should. That's life.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He’s got the right instincts and ability to be a physical player, but he looks about aligned with Chara in terms of foot speed.

It doesn’t need to be a focal point of his game by any means, but it’s below NHL level IMO and prevents him from ever gaining any momentum with his game. He doesn’t even have “good games” so much as a good moment here and there.

I don’t believe it’s all down to “laziness”, but I doubt some serious cardio work wouldn’t help significantly.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
It looks like a competition between him and Bjork for the 3rd line LW slot. Both bring skills though they are varied. Could be a round robin between them for playing time. Some will depend on the opposition on a given night.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
If he could get a 3/4 step of acceleration and anticipation he would be a lock for 30/30 IMO and would be a fan favorite. If he was playing in the 90's he would be that player already. I really think that what we see as stupid plays is just the 3/4 second he is continually behind the play while knowing what should be done - he's just late to the party.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
What has he been doing this offseason? a Ducks fan said he worked out with Gary Roberts one offseason, is he doing that now?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
lol...I started running again and now have upper knee bursitis. Grrrr. Running through it.

I recently picked up a ball hockey game, first time playing ball hockey in about 6 years, so really my first time running in six years. It's hard on the old joints. Back, hips, knees, they all hurt after a game.

Reactions: sarge88

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I mean i don't want to sound too smart or anything but it should be pretty easy for him training wise.

Lose a few pounds, work on explosiveness, plyometrics.

No excuse not to do that.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I recently picked up a ball hockey game, first time playing ball hockey in about 6 years, so really my first time running in six years. It's hard on the old joints. Back, hips, knees, they all hurt after a game.

I love ball hockey, I was in a pickup kinda league for a few years. I gotta try to find something like that, Such a good way to stay in shape

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I love ball hockey, I was in a pickup kinda league for a few years. I gotta try to find something like that, Such a good way to stay in shape

It's better cardio than Ice Hockey I find, although the group I play with we usually play 4 on 4 with just one or two (mostly one) change as oppose to Ice Hockey where were taking 2-3 min. shifts. A guy I play both with says the number of calories he burns based on his Fitbit is double in ball hockey compare to ice.

Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad