Player Discussion Nick Ritchie - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I just don't know if he has the motor to play on this team. The Bruins play fast, push the pace, and expect lots of jump out of everyone, including their 4th liners. Ritchie plays on cruise control. I don't see how Sweeney or anyone in pro scouting could have watched him floating around at half speed and thought he'd fit in here. Yes, we need hitting and we need toughness, but there are guys who hit and fight that also play with energy 5on5.

And then teams like St Louis and Tampa squash them physically like a bug on a windshield. Like Cam Neely said, the play-offs are a totally different game.. The Bruins are built for November games vs the Blackhawks and not for heavy, grinding, positional 5v5 hockey in May and June. They had the right mix to win skill wise vs St Louis but their skill players were beyond soft 5v5....only did damage with open ice on the PP.

Tampa went out and spent two firsts on fiesty, gritty 3rd liners and signed some grizzled hard ass veteran d, because they were built the same way as Boston. Boston is fine vs the Toronto's and Carolina's in the league, so maybe they can luck out again.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Has any human actually stayed in tip top shape during the pandemic?

Me. I'm machine like.

I think it's all the sitting around and drinking beer and smoking again and hours of tv and reading that has me in such tip top shape. I know not everyone can handle this regime but...

Truthfully, I've always found that NHL players have to be in perfect shape a bit strange, especially guys in their 20s as it's not like these guys are out of shape - they just aren't perfect specimens. I've played as much hockey as anyone on these boards and I honestly never noticed a difference in myself or other players if guys were hitting the gym, if they smoked, were carrying an extra few pounds, etc. (much different story with my body nowadays but not then - except that I played juniors in the age of people juicing but that is different) ... I don't know. I guess in the NHL every little bit might help but ... ?
Blake Wheeler lost his game for quite awhile after they had him go to the gym and put on all this muscle.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
And then teams like St Louis and Tampa squash them physically like a bug on a windshield. Like Cam Neely said, the play-offs are a totally different game.. The Bruins are built for November games vs the Blackhawks and not for heavy, grinding, positional 5v5 hockey in May and June. They had the right mix to win skill wise vs St Louis but their skill players were beyond soft 5v5....only did damage with open ice on the PP.

Tampa went out and spent two firsts on fiesty, gritty 3rd liners and signed some grizzled hard ass veteran d, because they were built the same way as Boston. Boston is fine vs the Toronto's and Carolina's in the league, so maybe they can luck out again.

That's the question. I want Bruins hockey, even if it doesn't lead them to winning a Cup, but they did run into some of the toughest teams around and unfortunately the Bruins aren't exactly soft, just not in that top tier of toughness anymore. It happened in Philly also which honestly makes me a bit sad. These two franchises have built everything on being the toughest kids on the block and neither team is remotely close to that anymore. The work ethic, clinical precision, professionalism is all there ... but no one whom scares the opposition. I want that back.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That Josh Anderson contract should be pretty good motivation for him.

That said, even if he came out and had a monster year there is no way I'm committing to term with a guy with a reputation for laziness.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

They did beat Columbus that year, a heavier grinding team.

Reactions: Kegs and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He played ok on Anaheim though. He posted better stats than Bjork.

Sure, but he got more minutes and played with better players there. He's not going to get top 6 minutes here. I mean shit Heinen score 3 goals in 9 games there but struggled to put up 7 in 58 games for us. He also got over 2 minutes more per night there. Ritchie got a minute and a half less here.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Most of the hitters on St Louis and Tampa were big AND played with energy.

Blais, Barbashev, Schenn, Sanford, Sundqvist... even their huge defensemen could skate with Petro, Parayko, J-Bo and Edmunson. With Tampa, it's Coleman, Pacquette, Goodrow, Cirelli, Killorn and again with their big, mobile D of Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Bogosian, Coburn...

I am fully on board with getting this team bigger and tougher, and have been for awhile, but if the guy doesn't play with energy he's not going to succeed in Cassidy's system, and he won't play. I think that goes for skill guys as much as it goes for role players. If they don't bring energy and play with a certain level of speed Cassidy doesn't like them.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Most of the hitters on St Louis and Tampa were big AND played with energy.

Blais, Barbashev, Schenn, Sanford, Sundqvist... even their huge defensemen could skate with Petro, Parayko, J-Bo and Edmunson. With Tampa, it's Coleman, Pacquette, Goodrow, Cirelli, Killorn and again with their big, mobile D of Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Bogosian, Coburn...

I am fully on board with getting this team bigger and tougher, and have been for awhile, but if the guy doesn't play with energy he's not going to succeed in Cassidy's system, and he won't play. I think that goes for skill guys as much as it goes for role players. If they don't bring energy and play with a certain level of speed Cassidy doesn't like them.

This is the heart of the issue, right here. They've focused on the bigger piece rather than bigger and playing with energy. So just getting bigger didn't solve a f***ing thing. I also have serious questions about whether Ritchie is capable of playing with energy because he so often looked like he was carrying a piano on his back while skating. He was that slow. Not sure he can honestly lose enough weight to fix that problem. You're either born quick or you're not.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Off the top of my head? Wilson, Lemieux, Clifford, Wood... heck even old ass Wayne Simmonds plays with energy.

The guy I'm banking on to fill that role for us this year is Trent Frederic.

Kuraly - Frederic - Wagner
Oh, i read that wrong... Thought you meant on the Bruins, haha.

Reactions: PlayMakers

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly. It's not the bigger teams that give them fits. It's actually the well balanced teams that have a solid mix of size, skill, and physicality. But shit, those teams give everyone trouble.

Bingo.

Which is exactly how I would describe TB this year. I didn't view them as a "heavy" team. I would argue that 3 of their 4 opponents (CBJ, NYI, and Dallas) were "heavier" teams than their were. But TB were a more well balanced group top to bottom.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Boston’s last two 1st round forwards were Beecher who’s got a nasty streak and Frederic who manhandled the AHL last year.

K Miller is as grizzled you will find in the league and if Zboril and Lauzon make the jump there’s some real grit on the back end.

That’s all aside from rolling Ritchie out on the bottom 6.

They certainly get the need, and are working it

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritmo

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Boston’s last two 1st round forwards were Beecher who’s got a nasty streak and Frederic who manhandled the AHL last year.

K Miller is as grizzled you will find in the league and if Zboril and Lauzon make the jump there’s some real grit on the back end.

That’s all aside from rolling Ritchie out on the bottom 6.

They certainly get the need, and are working it
I don't disagree with this, however my issue is the top 9. We have guys who hit, but they're all on one line that plays against the other 4th lines.

Some size and nasty in the top 9 is an issue, and it seemed like other teams had that mix while the Bruins rolled out 9 small, finesse players that just took a licking night in and night out.

yohan1212

Mar 31, 2007
I’d ditch Wagner, chara, sign dadanov, Matt Martin bring back debrusk. Gives us really good top 6 and roll out Ritchie- Frederic- Martin 4th line to beat in opposing dmen

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I’d ditch Wagner, chara, sign dadanov, Matt Martin bring back debrusk. Gives us really good top 6 and roll out Ritchie- Frederic- Martin 4th line to beat in opposing dmen

I don't hate the idea of signing Matt Martin, he looked a really useful player in the ECF. That said, his last contract was 2.5m and if he isn't taking a serious discount off of that, no way do we pay that for a 4th line banger.

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Exactly. It's not the bigger teams that give them fits. It's actually the well balanced teams that have a solid mix of size, skill, and physicality. But shit, those teams give everyone trouble.

It's the top level teams that we can't really seem to handle. Most people put us in with contenders, but when we face teams like Washington, Tampa, or St. Louis (Reg season or playoffs), we either get outplayed and out muscled and we lose or we kinda chuckle, thank Tuuk, and say "wow, can't believe we won that game."

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I suggested that same fourth line a couple days ago. Just so you know, we missed out on Dadonov to Ottawa.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That's the question. I want Bruins hockey, even if it doesn't lead them to winning a Cup, but they did run into some of the toughest teams around and unfortunately the Bruins aren't exactly soft, just not in that top tier of toughness anymore. It happened in Philly also which honestly makes me a bit sad. These two franchises have built everything on being the toughest kids on the block and neither team is remotely close to that anymore. The work ethic, clinical precision, professionalism is all there ... but no one whom scares the opposition. I want that back.

SweeNeely do not appear to appreciate this. The Bruins will be medicore for years.

Neely and Sweeney are terrible.

Reactions: Don Cherry

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't hate the idea of signing Matt Martin, he looked a really useful player in the ECF. That said, his last contract was 2.5m and if he isn't taking a serious discount off of that, no way do we pay that for a 4th line banger.

supposedly going to re-sign with the Isles according to Staple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad