Player Discussion Nick Paul (LW)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He was on in OT because we don't have any players left and DJ wanted him to match up against McDavid and Dre.

He was excellent tracking in D zone but I doubt he sees the ice in OT if we had Norris, Batherson and Brown in the lineup. Once add Greig there is another guy who plays OT ahead of him.

DJ typically plays 6Fs in OT. With a fully healthy lineup Id assume see shifts from Brady/Norris, Stutzle/Bath, and I would think Paul/Brown. Formenton is close to working his way in and Pinto will get there too in time. As it stands Paul is still there. He is incredibly valuable especially when you compare what a $2-4 million scoring forward UFA looks like.

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
DJ typically plays 6Fs in OT. With a fully healthy lineup Id assume see shifts from Brady/Norris, Stutzle/Bath, and I would think Paul/Brown. Formenton is close to working his way in and Pinto will get there too in time. As it stands Paul is still there. He is incredibly valuable especially when you compare what a $2-4 million scoring forward UFA looks like.
I'm a huge Paul proponent all the way back to when he was being declared a bust so I believe in his value.

If those guys are back I think we see Formenton out ahead of Paul just for his speed.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm a huge Paul proponent all the way back to when he was being declared a bust so I believe in his value.

If those guys are back I think we see Formenton out ahead of Paul just for his speed.

Possible .. he's getting better. I personally can't see DJ asking formy to cover CMD when he has Paul sitting there. In the end it takes 100% from a few guys to cover CMD's 2 minute over time shifts anyway :)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Need a guy for faceoffs in OT, at least when it's not on the fly. Paul probably gets the nod because of that, though you could split up Norris and Tkachuk to have both taking draws.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m thinking Paul agrees to term over money. If we offer him a decent deal over 5 years he might bite. 10M is a lot of cash when you have established your family in a city. 5 x 2M with a full NMC gives Paul security and still allows a non onerous buyout later if he drops off a cliff.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Possible .. he's getting better. I personally can't see DJ asking formy to cover CMD when he has Paul sitting there. In the end it takes 100% from a few guys to cover CMD's 2 minute over time shifts anyway :)
Fair point and it could change game to game...we won't see CMD again this year.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Need a guy for faceoffs in OT, at least when it's not on the fly. Paul probably gets the nod because of that, though you could split up Norris and Tkachuk to have both taking draws.
Once Pinto is back that all goes away as I expect he, Norris, Jimmy all get on the ice.

OT is a different animal though...you may not get 1 whistle before it's over.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
At some point EM is going to want to take some salary pressure off 2024 and on ... Maybe he should front load a few of these contracts.

Deep Cup run coming in 2024, the entire league knows that

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nick Paul: Give him an extra yr plus an extra couple of mil for his service which takes him to 30 yrs old. This IMO takes him from a 3rd line versatile role to a 4th line role in his last 2 yrs & easier to move, if need be.
4 yr - $11 Mil
$3.5 Mil - $3 Mil - $2.5 Mil - $2 Mil

Reactions: NB613 and coladin

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nick Paul: Give him an extra yr plus an extra couple of mil for his service which takes him to 30 yrs old. This IMO takes him from a 3rd line versatile role to a 4th line role in his last 2 yrs & easier to move, if need be.
4 yr - $11 Mil
$3.5 Mil - $3 Mil - $2.5 Mil - $2 Mil

Feels fair !!! Some chatter it’s done and will be announced after AS break…

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Feels fair !!! Some chatter it’s done and will be announced after AS break…
I would do something similar with C. Brown, frontload the deal as you mentioned up until he is 30/31 & they become easier to move in their last yr, if need be. During which time they can be unloading certain guys as their contracts come to an end. It also gives the prospects destined to replace them the time to get up to speed once the guy is gone & they can move in.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
At some point EM is going to want to take some salary pressure off 2024 and on ... Maybe he should front load a few of these contracts.
He is going to sell at some point so backloading isn't a terrible idea. Next year is 20 years as owner, which is longer than most owners stick around.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m thinking Paul agrees to term over money. If we offer him a decent deal over 5 years he might bite. 10M is a lot of cash when you have established your family in a city. 5 x 2M with a full NMC gives Paul security and still allows a non onerous buyout later if he drops off a cliff.
This is exactly what id be trying to do if im the sens.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
5 year for $10 million sounds dope. Can't afford to give Paul more then $2 million with so many contracts coming up for players that are more vital then him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We're talkin about a guy who had 3 points in his first 20 games playing 17-18 minutes a night like he's some type of legend because he's on a hot streak. People need to settle down with Paul. He's a good depth piece to have who can play around your lineup when there's injuries, on a good team he's hopefully a 4rth liner who can take faceoffs and play on PK1. Typical bottom 6 guy. He started the year terrible, now he's playing better - great that's what we need of him. He's not suddenly a 3.5M player.

3M+ a year is probably what he gets on open market but this team needs to be smart about spending. I'd be careful, he's in no way a need going forward. He's the type of player you can replace easily. Knowing our cash situation, I'd probably consider flipping him at the deadline especially if teams value him that much. Otherwise you sign him and hopefully he doesn't cost too much and you can trade him when our good players start getting paid.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Paul has 27 career goals in 209 games. The only reason he had 9 goals this season is high shot volume due to role and ice time which are only due to injuries. If he gets 2.5M over 3-5 years it’s an overpay I can live with but as we approach 3M I would be moving him (hopefully along with a pick for Kravtsov).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's not about points with Paul, it's about versatility going up & down the lineup, it's about good defensive play & the PK & it's about a big body who can play a heavy forecheck & possession game in the O-zone & also put some pts on the board.

The last 2 games that Paul line has scored most of the goals & won those games & we can see how productive they are with C. Brown on that line. But I also agree that as he gets older & some of our prospects mature & become NHL ready that they will most likely pass him. I also expect that at some point he will end up playing a 4th line role half way through that contract, if not sooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad