Value of: Nick Leddy to Montreal

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Hey folks,

I was just wondering what could be the cost for the Habs to acquire Nick Leddy from the Islanders? I know this have been previously discussed but the situation kinda evolved since then...

So, Isles fans, what would you like to receive for him, from the Habs? A pick and a prospect (which one(s))? An established forward?

Thanks!

Reactions: IODCPiper

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
1st round pick or an equivalent NHL forward (someone in the Tatar or Drouin mold).

These threads usually don't find common ground between the two fanbases as a lot of Hab fans offer a package around Byron and Islanders fans don't want him for our under 30, top 4 D locked up for another few years.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Isles need a scoring winger. Drouin, we could do. Gallagher we can do.

Leddy and Hickey are both on the board OR if you need youth..we literally have 3 ready to go in Wotherspoon, Aho AND Van De Sompel who are all future to top 4s. These guys were ready last year...we just have no room.

We also have a billion bottom 6. Want 1? or 5?

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal

Leddy and Hickey are both on the board OR if you need youth..we literally have 3 ready to go in Wotherspoon, Aho AND Van De Sompel who are all future to top 4s. These guys were ready last year...we just have no room.

I'd say wait & see is a better approach. I doubt all of them become Top 4's.

I could see a deal closer to TDL if we're still in it where we acquire Hickey on the cheap (3th & 5th), move Kulak to RD on the 3rd pairing & send down Fleury.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018

Gallagher for Leddy eh? ok then we can do Weise and Rielly for Dobson and Barzal while we're at it

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I do not see this trade being made honestly. Leddy is a good D-man but does MTL really get better by trading Drouin or Tatar for Leddy ? I do not think so. That is only my opinion though. Will NYI let Leddy go for a cheaper price ? Doubtful...

In addition, where do you put him in the lineup ? Mete has not scored yet but everybody agrees that he is one of the best defensive D-man in MTL, Chiarot just got hired, do you send him to Laval with Alzner ? Do you send Kulak to Laval, whereas he has done everything you could hope from a bottom D-man ?

Honestly, it is not that I do not like Leddy, just that I do not see where he fits in MTL right now.

Reactions: Nitram27

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

I could see a deal closer to TDL if we're still in it where we acquire Hickey on the cheap (3th & 5th), move Kulak to RD on the 3rd pairing & send down Fleury.

Yes, they will all turn out to be top 4s. Aho is already a top 4...He should be playing now..last year even. We are also not carrying an extra Dman..only extra forwards

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018

If they wanted Hickey they would of got him on waivers and not give up picks.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I do not see this trade being made honestly. Leddy is a good D-man but does MTL really get better by trading Drouin or Tatar for Leddy ? I do not think so. That is only my opinion though. Will NYI let Leddy go for a cheaper price ? Doubtful...

In addition, where do you put him in the lineup ? Mete has not scored yet but everybody agrees that he is one of the best defensive D-man in MTL, Chiarot just got hired, do you send him to Laval with Alzner ? Do you send Kulak to Laval, whereas he has done everything you could hope from a bottom D-man ?

Honestly, it is not that I do not like Leddy, just that I do not see where he fits in MTL right now.

Fits? He could replace Mete easily. Mete shouldn't be on the first pair.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Tatar for Leddy seems like it would be fair for both sides.

really hoping we dont see byron + pick kinda crap

Reactions: larrypacman8167

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
If they wanted Hickey they would of got him on waivers and not give up picks.

No, that is not how it works. I'm amazed that this idea is still alive on the boards. Teams usually don't want to add a contract without sending one (it could be Hudon + 3 & 5th) or they want the player to clear so they don't have to put it back on waivers themselves

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
No, that is not how it works. I'm amazed that this idea is still alive on the boards. Teams usually don't want to add a contract without sending one (it could be Hudon + 3 & 5th) or they want the player to clear so they don't have to put it back on waivers themselves

What idea? I just said the same as you pretty much. I said that if they wanted him they would of gotten him on waivers instead of giving picks...gotten him for free, instead of giving picks. I know about the swapping of the contracts. Didn't mention it because the person mentioned a trade for picks.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Tatar for Leddy seems like it would be fair for both sides.

really hoping we dont see byron + pick kinda crap

It would be fair, and then create a big gap in Montreal's forward formation. There's no win now solution for Montreal.

The trade makes sense if management believes they have more prospects ready to replace Tatar in a year or two than they have prospects to replace a Leddy (which actually is pretty much the situation).

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal

I think the Habs D would get better by acquiring Leddy and putting him with Weber. Mete is good but it's still early to give him all these responsabilities. I would see:

Leddy-Weber
Mete-Petry
Chiarot-Fleury
Kulak

I wouldn't trade Drouin for Leddy, not sure for Tatar. But I understand it's the asking price.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
What idea? I just said the same as you pretty much. I said that if they wanted him they would of gotten him on waivers instead of giving picks...gotten him for free, instead of giving picks. I know about the swapping of the contracts. Didn't mention it because the person mentioned a trade for picks.

You said : If they wanted Hickey they would of got him on waivers and not give up picks.

What I'm saying is it's not because they didn't claim him that they don't want him. They might value more the contract spot instead of 2 low picks + 1 contract or value more the fact that he could be sent down without going through waivers (if they had claim him).

My point is there is no correlation between claiming/not claiming a player & how much you want said player. Other factors come into play... it isn't as straightforward as ''they didn't claim him for free, they sure don't want him & won't give picks for him now''.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I think the Habs D would get better by acquiring Leddy and putting him with Weber. Mete is good but it's still early to give him all these responsabilities. I would see:

Leddy-Weber
Mete-Petry
Chiarot-Fleury
Kulak

I wouldn't trade Drouin for Leddy, not sure for Tatar. But I understand it's the asking price.

That's my stand too, & I wouldn't even trade Tatar... he fits so well on our team. I'd like Leddy & understand the asking price though.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leddy's best days appear to be behind him. As a Habs fan, I think we can be a good fit with Weber but are we going to drool over the idea? NO! If you want to trade him for a 1/1 swap, I don't think we are a good fit. If you want to unload him for a futures package (Muzzin type return), we can talk.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's my stand too, & I wouldn't even trade Tatar... he fits so well on our team. I'd like Leddy & understand the asking price though.

Agreed, Tatar for Leddy seems to make sense but no way I'm trading Tatar who is trending much better and fits on our team. Leddy would fit with Weber but if the Islanders are looking for a top 6 forward for him, Habs are not the team. Leddy needs to start tending better if the Islanders get the 40+ D man value.

I would engage in negotiations if they were willing to take a Muzzin type return that the Leafs paid last year.

I would also do a Mete and grade B prospect for Leddy though. Lots of Habs fans would not trade Mete and I get that but with Romanov, Struble, Norlinder coming in future years, I think Leddy would fit better in the short term. However, I believe the Islanders are looking for a top 6 forward? Not getting that from the Habs, we need top 6 forwards too

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Leddy's best days appear to be behind him. As a Habs fan, I think we can be a good fit with Weber but are we going to drool over the idea? NO! If you want to trade him for a 1/1 swap, I don't think we are a good fit. If you want to unload him for a futures package (Muzzin type return), we can talk.

OK... Leddy, Ladd (currently LTIR) for Alzner, Weiss and 2nd (conditional first, with conditions being very favorable to MTL). Basically, taking your suggested Leddy for a first ( ala compared to Muzzin for a first) and diminishing it with Ladd, while offsetting Ladd's salary with dumping Alzner and Weiss.

I'm actually one of the bigger Leddy supporters... even as his offense levels out, his zone exit and controlled zone entries are still elite. But I'd do the above to open up some roster and cap space to solidify their new core of Toews, Pulock, Dobson etc.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
OK... Leddy, Ladd (currently LTIR) for Alzner, Weiss and 2nd (conditional first, with conditions being very favorable to MTL). Basically, taking your suggested Leddy for a first ( ala compared to Muzzin for a first) and diminishing it with Ladd, while offsetting Ladd's salary with dumping Alzner and Weiss.

I'm actually one of the bigger Leddy supporters, as even if his offense levels out, his zone exit and controlled zone entries are still elite. But I'd do the above to open up some roster and cap space to solidify their new core of Toews, Pulock, Dobson etc.

It's certainly an idea we can engage in trade talks. I'm going to break it down as much as I can so we can be fair to both sides in terms of asset values going each way and cap dumps factored in. And yes, I do value Leddy on the Habs but only cause we have Weber. I think they would fit well together.

Alzner:
- 3 more years at $4.625M AAV (Age 31-33)
- Total money owed is $11.125M (Buyout friendly after this season)
- No longer NHL quality on most NHL teams if not all.
- 7 team NTC

Weiss:
- 1 more year at $2.35M
- Total money owed is $1.75M
- Can be 4th line quality on some NHL teams but not most.

Ladd:
- 4 more years at $5.5M (Age 33-37)
- Total money owed is $17M (not really buy out friendly)
- Modified NTC after this year (15 team NTC)
- Currently LTIR but can play again this year.
- More like a 20-30 pts forward at best at this stage of his career.

Leddy:
- 3 more years at $5.5M (Age 28-30)
- Total money owed is $19.5M
- Still a top 4D on some teams for sure.

Basically the Habs take on $11M of cap space and unload $7M ($5M if you consider the cap hits with Alzner and Weise in the AHL). I believe this would put us very tight against the cap but it fits.

You asking for a conditional 1st and a 2nd. I would do this but the draft is in Montreal next year and would like our 2020 1st. Could you take a 2021 1st (top 3 protection) and a 2020 2nd?

Not sure if I love it or not but I'm willing to talk about it more. What do other Islander and Habs fans think? Not sure but we will find out lol

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It's certainly an idea we can engage in trade talks. I'm going to break it down as much as I can so we can be fair to both sides in terms of asset values going each way and cap dumps factored in. And yes, I do value Leddy on the Habs but only cause we have Weber. I think they would fit well together.

Alzner:
- 3 more years at $4.625M AAV (Age 31-33)
- Total money owed is $11.125M (Buyout friendly after this season)
- No longer NHL quality on most NHL teams if not all.
- 7 team NTC

Weiss:
- 1 more year at $2.35M
- Total money owed is $1.75M
- Can be 4th line quality on some NHL teams but not most.

Ladd:
- 4 more years at $5.5M (Age 33-37)
- Total money owed is $17M (not really buy out friendly)
- Modified NTC after this year (15 team NTC)
- Currently LTIR but can play again this year.
- More like a 20-30 pts forward at best at this stage of his career.

Leddy:
- 3 more years at $5.5M (Age 28-30)
- Total money owed is $19.5M
- Still a top 4D on some teams for sure.

Basically the Habs take on $11M of cap space and unload $7M ($5M if you consider the cap hits with Alzner and Weise in the AHL). I believe this would put us very tight against the cap but it fits.

You asking for a conditional 1st and a 2nd. I would do this but the draft is in Montreal next year and would like our 2020 1st. Could you take a 2021 1st (top 3 protection) and a 2020 2nd?

Not sure if I love it or not but I'm willing to talk about it more. What do other Islander and Habs fans think? Not sure but we will find out lol

Basically, how I see it too. Not really concerned what year the pick is. As the Isles already have a glut of younger players to try and fit in over the next couple of years. So a later pick allows to push the Isles pipeline back a little.

Admittedly, I'm not aware of how bad Alzner has been. But I would base that decision on whether his former coach Barry Trotz feels that he can get something out of him. Either way, I'd be looking to move Hickey in another deal and use Alzner in the similar role of AHL veteran and NHL bottom pair call-up for injury minute replacement .

EDIT: I would expect the pick to be completely lottery protected. Likely a bottom half of the first round at most. Maybe some combo of 2nd/3rds etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad