Value of: Nick Leddy to Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
none of those players move the needle.
Leddy is also signed for 3 seasons and would immediately improve the Habs transition game and PP.

We would hope so but there are no guarantees. I do think the Habs have the physical pieces on the RD side (Weber or Petry) that fit well with Leddy though. Leddy playing with a kid on the RD side is not the best for him. Leddy and a pick for Tatar makes sense in terms of player values but the Habs rather acquire using futures IMO. We need Tatar just as much as we need Leddy. Trading Tatar takes away a top 6F and we need that too.

Only way I see a fit is if the Islanders are willing to take futures and a 1st is not on the table. If you are OK with a 2nd and prospect like Ylonen or similar, we can engage in what other adds we need to get involved. If the Islanders want a NHL player in return and it's not a Byron plus futures return, Habs are not the team IMO.

Habs just traded Shaw for a 2nd and 3rd.
- Middle 6 forward
- 3 years left at $3.9M
- Age 28

Leddy:
- Top 4D
- 3 years left at $5.5M
- Age 28

Leddy > Shaw in player value but by how much? If the Islanders want a futures return, we can certainly offer more than what we got for Shaw but were not trading a 1st.

What about Leddy for a 2nd, 3rd, and a prospect like Ylonen? Or are you looking for some proven piece in return?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nick Leddy for Bret Kulak and a 2nd round pick.

These are the pieces I would put on the table so package up an offer and we will engage.

Kulak: A good bottom pairing or depth guy to have. If the Islanders don't want Kulak, that is fine. We are just offering a guy you can use on the back end in terms of depth. Kulak played well down the stretch last year but has to work at being consistent. If Leddy is traded, do you have the depth for someone to play this year at LD?

Weise: One year cap dump to bridge the money in/out for both teams.

2nd and 3rd round picks: No team is trading a 1st for Leddy. But I would put 2nd's and 3rd on the table.

Ylonen: If you don't want Kulak, we can alter the trade a bit to include Ylonen.

Tatar: Habs need him but if you insist, we might do this.

Package 1:
- Kulak, Weise, 2nd, 3rd.
for
- Leddy

Package 2:
- Ylonen, Weise, 3rd
for
- Leddy

Package 3:
- Tatar and one of Kulak or Reilly
for
- Leddy, a pick, and we can take on a one year cap dump (Weise type)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I see Leddy in NJ. In division would be surprising though.

Maybe something around Kyle "all-star" Palmieri.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
We offer a 3rd round pick only now then. Joking.

Would the Islanders take a futures return like the Habs got with Shaw but we add a bit more than the 2nd and 3rd?

That would be something I would be entertaining around the trade deadline. Right now there's not really a "need" to trade Leddy so I think Lou would be looking at more of an equal value NHL player as a return.

Who knows though, I've given up trying to figure out if Lou's going to make a trade during his Islanders tenure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would be something I would be entertaining around the trade deadline. Right now there's not really a "need" to trade Leddy so I think Lou would be looking at more of an equal value NHL player as a return.

Who knows though, I've given up trying to figure out if Lou's going to make a trade during his Islanders tenure.

Would you do this today? Curious, if you trade Leddy, do you have the depth to have a body play LD with Dobson? Who do you feel has more value... Leddy or Tatar? I added Reilly cause I'm thinking you can use him for depth this year?

Tatar and Reilly
for
Leddy and a 2nd

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Would you do this today? Curious, if you trade Leddy, do you have the depth to have a body play LD with Dobson? Who do you feel has more value... Leddy or Tatar? I added Reilly cause I'm thinking you can use him for depth this year?

Tatar and Reilly
for
Leddy and a 2nd

I would, not sure if other Isles fans (or other Canadiens fans as well) would.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
We would hope so but there are no guarantees. I do think the Habs have the physical pieces on the RD side (Weber or Petry) that fit well with Leddy though. Leddy playing with a kid on the RD side is not the best for him. Leddy and a pick for Tatar makes sense in terms of player values but the Habs rather acquire using futures IMO. We need Tatar just as much as we need Leddy. Trading Tatar takes away a top 6F and we need that too.

Only way I see a fit is if the Islanders are willing to take futures and a 1st is not on the table. If you are OK with a 2nd and prospect like Ylonen or similar, we can engage in what other adds we need to get involved. If the Islanders want a NHL player in return and it's not a Byron plus futures return, Habs are not the team IMO.

Habs just traded Shaw for a 2nd and 3rd.
- Middle 6 forward
- 3 years left at $3.9M
- Age 28

Leddy:
- Top 4D
- 3 years left at $5.5M
- Age 28

Leddy > Shaw in player value but by how much? If the Islanders want a futures return, we can certainly offer more than what we got for Shaw but were not trading a 1st.

What about Leddy for a 2nd, 3rd, and a prospect like Ylonen? Or are you looking for some proven piece in return?

Isles need help in the top 6 -

I can see a return of futures during the offseason for Leddy.

During the season, Leddy needs to bring back a top 6 F.

I disagree with the bolded above - A Leddy and Tatar deal would not have a pick attached to Leddy. IMO, the pick should be on the Habs side. Leddy has one more season and top4 D > than a W. All of that being said - we may not agree on this its probably closer to an even swap.

I understand that the Habs like and need Tatar and appreciate that - there is no fit here between Isles and Habs.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Tatar and Reilly
for
Leddy and a 2nd

They do not need Reilly or Kulak or any of the Canadiens D - and Isles are not giving up a second along with Leddy.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
These are the pieces I would put on the table so package up an offer and we will engage.

Kulak: A good bottom pairing or depth guy to have. If the Islanders don't want Kulak, that is fine. We are just offering a guy you can use on the back end in terms of depth. Kulak played well down the stretch last year but has to work at being consistent. If Leddy is traded, do you have the depth for someone to play this year at LD?

Weise: One year cap dump to bridge the money in/out for both teams.

2nd and 3rd round picks: No team is trading a 1st for Leddy. But I would put 2nd's and 3rd on the table.

Ylonen: If you don't want Kulak, we can alter the trade a bit to include Ylonen.

Tatar: Habs need him but if you insist, we might do this.

Package 1:
- Kulak, Weise, 2nd, 3rd.
for
- Leddy

Package 2:
- Ylonen, Weise, 3rd
for
- Leddy

Package 3:
- Tatar and one of Kulak or Reilly
for
- Leddy, a pick, and we can take on a one year cap dump (Weise type)

Isles currently have Hickey and Aho playing at brdigeport along with Sbisa practicing with the team similar to what they did with Seidenberg. Isles also think very highly of Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon, and Grant Hutton popped some eyes at training camp.

Why is Dale Weise involved - the $ is close enough Isles taking on less aav and one less year - no reason to add a bigger cap hit this season. If the Isles take on Weise, then Habs need to add a pick.

I doubt that no team would trade a 1st for Leddy. The Islanders are not looking for a package of futures for Leddy maybe during the offseason.

Ylonen nice winger, but Isles are loaded with wingers - they are very thin up the middle.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Isles need help in the top 6 -

I can see a return of futures during the offseason for Leddy.

During the season, Leddy needs to bring back a top 6 F.

I disagree with the bolded above - A Leddy and Tatar deal would not have a pick attached to Leddy. IMO, the pick should be on the Habs side. Leddy has one more season and top4 D > than a W. All of that being said - we may not agree on this its probably closer to an even swap.

I understand that the Habs like and need Tatar and appreciate that - there is no fit here between Isles and Habs.

I'm not sure Montreal NEEDS Tatar. Byron's stuck on the 4th line and can probably bring most of what Tatar brings. But I also don't think Leddy has been good for a while now. The term also doesn't really matter, since I doubt either Montreal or NYI would protect him in the expansion draft and Seattle would probably take him.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Isles need a scoring winger. Drouin, we could do. Gallagher we can do.

Leddy and Hickey are both on the board OR if you need youth..we literally have 3 ready to go in Wotherspoon, Aho AND Van De Sompel who are all future to top 4s. These guys were ready last year...we just have no room.

We also have a billion bottom 6. Want 1? or 5?
Gallagher for Leddy hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha good stuff dude.

Reactions: HabsMD97

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
yeah, I get it if the Habs acquire a top 4 d man where will all the bottom pairing d man on team play?

Not a top D Man, a good D Man and an improvement over the current situation but only marginally which would come at the price of a 1st or a key player, not worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad