Value of: Nick Leddy to Montreal

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Basically, how I see it too. Not really concerned what year the pick is. As the Isles already have a glut of younger players to try and fit in over the next couple of years. So a later pick allows to push the Isles pipeline back a little.

Admittedly, I'm not aware of how bad Alzner has been. But iI would base that decision on if his former coach Barry Trotz feels like he can get something out of him. Either way, I'd be looking to move Hickey in another deal and use Alzner in the similar role of AHL veteran and bottom pair injury minute replacement.

delete

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Basically, how I see it too. Not really concerned what year the pick is. As the Isles already have a glut of younger players to try and fit in over the next couple of years. So a later pick allows to push the Isles pipeline back a little.

Admittedly, I'm not aware of how bad Alzner has been. But I would base that decision on whether his former coach Barry Trotz feels that he can get something out of him. Either way, I'd be looking to move Hickey in another deal and use Alzner in the similar role of AHL veteran and bottom pair injury minute replacement.

EDIT: I would expect the pick to be completely lottery protected. Likely a bottom half of the first round at most. Maybe some combo of 2nd/3rds etc.

Asked a few Habs fans and they all said no. They don't want to trade the 1st. However, I would be willing to talk a bit more on this and see what other needs you have that we can spare. What about swapping the 1st for Primeau or do you already have a future goalie prospect?

It's all about risk factor. If Leddy does well with Weber or Petry (I think he can fit but who knows), then I think the deal is fair. But if Leddy disappoints, we now have two anchor contracts in Ladd and Leddy for multiple years. Trading the 1st and the 2nd and taking on cap hits is risky.

Habs have a lot to offer that we can spare cause we are strong in some areas. Just depends on how we can help each other out and we both feel we are not getting ripped off.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Habs have a surplus of wingers and would be willing to part with one but as others have said I don't know if Bergevin is willing to deal with Drouin or Tatar but the Habs have other decent wingers like Lekhonen, Byron and Armia who would be available.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Asked a few Habs fans and they all said no. They don't want to trade the 1st. However, I would be willing to talk a bit more on this and see what other needs you have that we can spare. What about swapping the 1st for Primeau or do you already have a future goalie prospect?

It's all about risk factor. If Leddy does well with Weber or Petry (I think he can fit but who knows), then I think the deal is fair. But if Leddy disappoints, we now have two anchor contracts in Ladd and Leddy for multiple years. Trading the 1st and the 2nd and taking on cap hits is risky.

Habs have a lot to offer that we can spare cause we are strong in some areas. Just depends on how we can help each other out and we both feel we are not getting ripped off.

But remember it was a second with the condition of becoming a first. Those conditions could also be favorable to Montreal. Without getting into the details of how it could be worded. I'd envision conditions that would only kick in if Leddy & the Canadians do well together. I would also expect the pick landing in the bottom half of the first and/or becoming some combo of two seconds or second and a third.

Basically, the deal would be constructed in such a way that MTL could not surrender a top 15 pick and only surrender a bottom half first if Leddy meets some legitimate top three metrics.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Too late. If there was a trade for Leddy it would have been done in the offseason before we signed Chariot.

Now it makes zero sense.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
IF the Isles were to trade Leddy (and it's a big if) it's because they're not in playoff position near the trade deadline, Leddy has performed well while Dobson has shown NHL-level promise and they want to accumulate picks or a decent prospect. That would be an ideal situation for the best return for the Islanders while the value has risen because it's a picks and/or prospect deal that teams can easily absorb

As an Islanders fan I'd rather be in playoff position at the TDL.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I'd love to think we'd get a first or equivalent for Leddy but at this point we'd probably be lucky to get a second at best. Isles fans overvalue him.

Reactions: Steeler23

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i know leddy is good, habs aren't trading tatar, gallagher or drouin for him. CH strength is depth. If suzuki emerges this year, maybe someone like tatar becomes available but he's part of one of the top 5 ES lines in the league

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
I'd love to think we'd get a first or equivalent for Leddy but at this point we'd probably be lucky to get a second at best. Isles fans overvalue him.

What about something like Byron+2nd vs Leddy+5th? Or if you don't wanna take money back, maybe something around 2nd+Jacob Olofsson vs Leddy? Olofsson will represent Sweden at the next WJC.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
1st round pick or an equivalent NHL forward (someone in the Tatar or Drouin mold).

These threads usually don't find common ground between the two fanbases as a lot of Hab fans offer a package around Byron and Islanders fans don't want him for our under 30, top 4 D locked up for another few years.

I'd do Tatar for Leddy

Reactions: CapSpace

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
You said : If they wanted Hickey they would of got him on waivers and not give up picks.

What I'm saying is it's not because they didn't claim him that they don't want him. They might value more the contract spot instead of 2 low picks + 1 contract or value more the fact that he could be sent down without going through waivers (if they had claim him).

My point is there is no correlation between claiming/not claiming a player & how much you want said player. Other factors come into play... it isn't as straightforward as ''they didn't claim him for free, they sure don't want him & won't give picks for him now''.

I know what you're saying, that wasn't the point. Again, I was talking to the other person's point about giving picks, nothing else.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
As a Habs fan I have no interest in Leddy due to the term on that contract.

Hes really, really fallen off in the last 18 months or so.

Hes not the same player as when he first joined the isles. The defensive game fell off a cliff.

The prices here are insane given what Leddy is doing over a large sample size.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I wrote this in another thread in the summer with this same leddy/tatar talk.

Comparing 2018-19 to 2017-18
His corsi went down... big time (both raw and relative) - 46.9% and -1.2 drops to 44.3% and - 5.4
His fenwick went down big time (both raw and relative) - 45.8% and -1.7 drops to 44.2% and -6.3
His xg% raw was slightly better, but relative dropped big time - 44.8% and -3.28 vs 46.3% and -7.67

His PDO and went up. Went from 97.3 to 102.1

Looking at this... he played way worse. The only thing that changed is that the 2017-18 islanders had the nhl's worst goaltending performance and the 2018-19 islanders had the leagues best. Thats the story of his plus/minus. His oiSv% went from .886 to .923... His oiSH% went from 8.7% to 9.9%.

I stand by my point that he fell off a cliff. Plus minus went up, but not because of his own play. His own play was actually worse and his teammates picked him up.

His ZSR was 48.74 in 17-18, and 44.16 in 18-19, so his minutes were a little bit worse in terms of deployment, but not significantly and not to the point his other stats should just crater like that.

And when I say "he fell off a cliff... the bigger issue is that in 2017-18, he wasn't even good. 46.8% corsi and -1.2, 45.8% fenwick and -1.7, 44.8% xg and -3.28) all on 48.74 ZSR? Thats a bad defenceman.

I wouldn't trade anything of value for him. To me he's a cap dump, especially given the term on his deal. I think trading Tatar would be a total rip off and total loss for Montreal. Especially when a better lhd is just sitting there in free agency in jake gardiner.

Conclusion.... this thread has Leddy MASSIVELY, MASSIVELY overrated. He's not the defenceman he was when he first got to the Island in 2014-15 when he was a true number one defenceman. He's slipped each year, it was small at first, but his slips keep getting bigger and bigger.​

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
In addition, where do you put him in the lineup ? Mete has not scored yet but everybody agrees that he is one of the best defensive D-man in MTL, Chiarot just got hired, do you send him to Laval with Alzner ? Do you send Kulak to Laval, whereas he has done everything you could hope from a bottom D-man ?

I would put Leddy on the first pair with Weber move Mete to the second pair with Petry and Chairot would be on the third pair with Kulak in the pressbox.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
now that Hickey's been waived and Dobson is being eased into the nhl I think the isles will probably stick with these 7 guys . Maybe theres more pressure to trade Leddy in offseason 2020 so that it gives cap flex to resign Toews/Pulock but for now they should enjoy the luxury .

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I do not see this trade being made honestly. Leddy is a good D-man but does MTL really get better by trading Drouin or Tatar for Leddy ? I do not think so. That is only my opinion though. Will NYI let Leddy go for a cheaper price ? Doubtful...

In addition, where do you put him in the lineup ? Mete has not scored yet but everybody agrees that he is one of the best defensive D-man in MTL, Chiarot just got hired, do you send him to Laval with Alzner ? Do you send Kulak to Laval, whereas he has done everything you could hope from a bottom D-man ?

Honestly, it is not that I do not like Leddy, just that I do not see where he fits in MTL right now.

yeah, I get it if the Habs acquire a top 4 d man where will all the bottom pairing d man on team play?

Reactions: Vachon23

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Habs have a surplus of wingers and would be willing to part with one but as others have said I don't know if Bergevin is willing to deal with Drouin or Tatar but the Habs have other decent wingers like Lekhonen, Byron and Armia who would be available.

none of those players move the needle.
Leddy is also signed for 3 seasons and would immediately improve the Habs transition game and PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->