Friedman: Nick Jensen connected to Maple Leafs

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Sounds good but not 1st rounder material. Maybe someone will make that trade like Chiarot but I don’t want it to be the Leafs. Lesser picks/prospects sure
He’s got 2 years left. That counts for something. I’m a Leaf fan so no bias here but if you think Washington is just going to give him away for scraps you’re kidding yourself.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
To be fair 2 of those 3 aren't adds they were already Leafs
Of course, my point was that none of them were playing when they reeled off seven straight wins. They need to be worked back into the roster and will bump guys out creating more depth.

I think Jarnkrok coming back already has Robertson as a scratch. Lyubushkin caused is to put Gio on LTIR rather than maybe just IR. Woll has us carrying three goalies now so we don't lose Jones on waivers.

I guess my point is that we need to add actual upgrades and not just depth players. If we acquired a forward without giving one up we would have to put someone on waivers. Probably Gregor at this point. Sure, fine...whatever. We would also ha e to take someone out of the starting lineup. Probably Reaves at this point...that's a pretty decent fourth line they have right now though and Reaves might be useful in a series against Florida or Boston.

On D, whoever we get needs to be better than Rielly, McCabe, Brodie, Liljegren, Benoit, and Lyubushkin or Giordano.

If course there are forwards and D better than the guys we are knocking out of the lineup here and we need depth too. However with this in mind and cap implications I think we need to think through what type of add is worth the acquisition cost.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The stat line isn’t too impressive, but Jensen is a very good skater. Great for transition play, breakouts, joins the rush but has the speed to get back…he’s good. His skating also allows him to draw penalties

I’d say he’s a 3/4/5 Dman depending on depth of whatever team he is on.

Given the lack of RD in Toronto I guess he would be 1st or 2nd pair

But I’m not sure he is for sale. I don’t know what the caps will do. They are technically in the race for the 3rd metro spot or maybe a wildcard. They might wait til the deadline to decide

It would seem like whatever the offer(s) are would drive if they decide to move him. Given the dearth of quality RHD, that might push the offers from scarcity.

He plays nothing like Chiarot and isn’t a rental so I’m not sure why you are connecting the two.

I can see Jensen being a very attractive defensive pilar alternative to Tanev especially if the Leafs didn’t want to spend assets on a 3 month rental.

There’s also no certainty it would take a 1st here….maybe it’s a 2nd and good prospect or something like that.

Jensen is definitely underrated given the responses in this thread. I’m not sure why Tanev is so high profile and yet people think Jensen is a bargain basement plug…

If Jensen had been on the Flames instead of Tanev, he would have the level of TSN/SN conversation about his abilities. You are right, he's right in that mix with Tanev as a high-quality defender but it's not like those guys get a lot of out of market exposure for being good. PMD's get attention both good and bad. Physically dominate defensemen get attention, also both good and bad. But efficient defensive defensemen require closer scrutiny. I always think back to an anecdote that any defenseman you don't notice is actually having a good night. And Jensen is that sort of guy - unless focusing on him to see how he's killing plays and denying space, it's not all sorts of highlight reel, "wow" moments.

Reactions: pman25

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Tell me you know absolutely nothing about Nick Jensen without telling me you know absolutely nothing about Nick Jensen.

Friendly reminder that it’s ok for people not comment in threads about players they don’t watch.

He’s got 2 years left. That counts for something. I’m a Leaf fan so no bias here but if you think Washington is just going to give him away for scraps you’re kidding yourself.

Alright based on the feedback in here, he sounds like he’s better than what I remember he was on the Wings awhile back. He’ll probably get a first because he’s a right D and good defensively. I’d like to get a bit more offense from the blue line if we’re using our 1st but that’s probably not happening.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Of course, my point was that none of them were playing when they reeled off seven straight wins. They need to be worked back into the roster and will bump guys out creating more depth.

I think Jarnkrok coming back already has Robertson as a scratch. Lyubushkin caused is to put Gio on LTIR rather than maybe just IR. Woll has us carrying three goalies now so we don't lose Jones on waivers.

I guess my point is that we need to add actual upgrades and not just depth players. If we acquired a forward without giving one up we would have to put someone on waivers. Probably Gregor at this point. Sure, fine...whatever. We would also ha e to take someone out of the starting lineup. Probably Reaves at this point...that's a pretty decent fourth line they have right now though and Reaves might be useful in a series against Florida or Boston.

On D, whoever we get needs to be better than Rielly, McCabe, Brodie, Liljegren, Benoit, and Lyubushkin or Giordano.

If course there are forwards and D better than the guys we are knocking out of the lineup here and we need depth too. However with this in mind and cap implications I think we need to think through what type of add is worth the acquisition cost.

I mean you know which forward I want, Jordan Eberle or Alex Wennberg.

If adding one of them knocks Gregor out of the lineup I'm good with that.

I like Gregor speed but as I said in my Eberle thread, It's strictly about getting better and both Eberle and Wennberg are significantly better players than Gregor.

They simply are.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Nic Dowd and Jensen for our 1st should be okay.

Fills out roster very well. But having said that, I think Holmberg and Robertson are playing really well for us too.

• Haha
Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Robertson had 1 goal in the month of February and looks to be a healthy scratch tonight.
Robertson could be on his way to the Marlies to open a spot for Jarnkrok unless they d3dide to waive Jones and risk losing. Robertson and Knies are the only waiver-exempt players on the roster.

Reactions: Raging Bull

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I mean you know which forward I want, Jordan Eberle or Alex Wennberg.

If adding one of them knocks Gregor out of the lineup I'm good with that.

I like Gregor speed but as I said in my Eberle thread, It's strictly about getting better and both Eberle and Wennberg are significantly better players than Gregor.

They simply are.
Yeah, but Gregor is already out of the lineup. So is Robertson.

Reaves can go, until we need him I guess.

I get that you (people) want Eberle but I don't see how we make that work acquisition cost-wise. Would you give up a first and fourth for him? I think that is what it would take to get the retention we need to fit him in.

It would be the only move we could make cap and asset wise I think and I don't see that being the ONE move I want to make.

I think Wennberg is the better of the tow because he is a C and he can PK. I think it would be the same acquisition cost though. I am not sure I would do that for a rental that brings modest, incremental gains.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Alright based on the feedback in here, he sounds like he’s better than what I remember he was on the Wings awhile back. He’ll probably get a first because he’s a right D and good defensively. I’d like to get a bit more offense from the blue line if we’re using our 1st but that’s probably not happening.
Yeah it’s totally fair if you don’t like the price because you want someone who will fill the stat sheet a bit more but Jensen would be a really good get for the Leafs. Terrific skater who can pass the puck and is also strong defensively. 3rd on the Caps in TOI and one of their better penalty killers. He’s a very good 2RD. He’d be one of those guys who would be one of the more unheralded deadline acquisitions but probably one of the most impactful as well, and he has term left.

Reactions: Jmo89

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Nic Dowd and Jensen for our 1st should be okay.

Fills out roster very well. But having said that, I think Holmberg and Robertson are playing really well for us too.
Uh, you will have to give up more than your 1st, if you want both Dowd/Jensen. Try your 1st and 3rd, player with something close to cap hit equivalency(because if there is any salary retention it will cost more), and a good forward prospect. You think the Leafs will be the only team interested! Dowd/Jensen there would be bidding wars for because of the value they can bring to other teams needs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, but Gregor is already out of the lineup. So is Robertson.

Reaves can go, until we need him I guess.

I get that you (people) want Eberle but I don't see how we make that work acquisition cost-wise. Would you give up a first and fourth for him? I think that is what it would take to get the retention we need to fit him in.

It would be the only move we could make cap and asset wise I think and I don't see that being the ONE move I want to make.

I think Wennberg is the better of the tow because he is a C and he can PK. I think it would be the same acquisition cost though. I am not sure I would do that for a rental that brings modest, incremental gains.

See That's another reason I'd target him because I'm not sure Eberle costs a 1st, I'm also not sure he doesn't.

But you got, Hanifin, Henrique, Guntzle in terms of rentals that might be it, Eberle might get it but he isn't a lock for it in my opinion.

Wennberg? I'd be legitimately shocked if he did.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
See That's another reason I'd target him because I'm not sure Eberle costs a 1st, I'm also not sure he doesn't.

But you got, Hanifin, Henrique, Guntzle in terms of rentals that might be it, Eberle might get it but he isn't a lock for it in my opinion.

Wennberg? I'd be legitimately shocked if he did.
I don't think you are taking the cost of retention or the fact that we have no second rounders into account.

Sure, if we could get Eberle or Wennberg at 75% retained for a 3rd rounder then sign me up.

It's not that I don't like these guys...it's that I don't like the cost. What do you think it might cost if not a first? If you are not paying a premium for retention then what moves are you making to fit one of them in?

This is a Jensen thread, the same questions apply to him.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I don't think you are taking the cost of retention or the fact that we have no second rounders into account.

Sure, if we could get Eberle or Wennberg at 75% retained for a 3rd rounder then sign me up.

It's not that I don't like these guys...it's that I don't like the cost. What do you think it might cost if not a first? If you are not paying a premium for retention then what moves are you making to fit one of them in?

This is a Jensen thread, the same questions apply to him.
Jensen at 4 million for 2 years after this one is going to cost someone their FRP+. Cost efficient veteran RHD for 3 playoff runs is value. Not sure what the + would be but a FRP imo is going to have to be part of a deal for sure. If a team gets retention then yeah it’s going to be costly

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Jensen at 4 million for 2 years after this one is going to cost someone their FRP+. Cost efficient veteran RHD for 3 playoff runs is value. Not sure what the + would be but a FRP imo is going to have to be part of a deal for sure. If a team gets retention then yeah it’s going to be costly
Yeah, thanks.

That's sort of what I thought. The Leafs would definitely need retention this year and want it in future years.

I don't love a 1st+ for Jensen. I know he is good, but that seems high...maybe at 50% like the McCabe deal. Maybe with Dowd thrown in, like the McCabe deal. I don't see the Caps going for that thought

• Haha

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Maybe Dowd, possibly even Lindgren, but I don’t see how they trade Jensen, especially in terms of finding teams willing to trade a 1st

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I hope this is a swap of lily + 1st pick for jensen (50%) retained.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The more they win and the Flyers & Devils stumble, the more difficult it is to figure out just what the Capitals are going to do at the deadline. A week or two ago, this was lining up to be a clear UFA seller TDL for Washington. Now they're muddying up their GM's strategy. Big games against Arizona and Pittsburgh and then we'll see.

These moves to dump players with term remaining seem presumptuous, though. There's a lot of good term left on those deals and I think they keep both Dowd and Jensen regardless of whether they sell UFAs or stand pat.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
On the Jeff Marek show Friedman mentioned that Niklas Jensen name has been connected with the Maple Leafs, this shouldn't come as a surprise because Jensen has been connected to the Leafs for years to the point where they actually agreed to a deal to acquire him.

Back in 2017, or 2018 whichever year he became a Capital, Kyle Dubas had agreed to a deal to acquire Nick Jensen, However Mike Babcock blocked that deal when he refused to play Dermott with Jensen, had Jensen been acquired, Dermott would have come out of the lineup and that's why he became a capital instead.

So the fact that there is interest there doesn't surprise me, the interest has been there for years.

My problem isn't even the cap hit you can get retention on that, or move money around there are ways to do it.

My problem is the potential price I'm not convinced this is the guy you give up the 2024 1st round pick for and I'm sure Washington would ask for it.
Can't stand Babs but he made the right call, and the trade could have still happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad