Friedman: Nick Jensen connected to Maple Leafs

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jensen's a low-key high-quality RD in that he does the right things to actually defend. If people are looking for flashy, that's not his game. If the Caps are going to let him go, and he plays to his abilities, that could be a major win for the Leafs.

Reactions: andora

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Jensen's a low-key high-quality RD in that he does the right things to actually defend. If people are looking for flashy, that's not his game. If the Caps are going to let him go, and he plays to his abilities, that could be a major win for the Leafs.

Sounds good but not 1st rounder material. Maybe someone will make that trade like Chiarot but I don’t want it to be the Leafs. Lesser picks/prospects sure

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The stat line isn’t too impressive, but Jensen is a very good skater. Great for transition play, breakouts, joins the rush but has the speed to get back…he’s good. His skating also allows him to draw penalties

I’d say he’s a 3/4/5 Dman depending on depth of whatever team he is on.

Given the lack of RD in Toronto I guess he would be 1st or 2nd pair

But I’m not sure he is for sale. I don’t know what the caps will do. They are technically in the race for the 3rd metro spot or maybe a wildcard. They might wait til the deadline to decide

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sounds good but not 1st rounder material. Maybe someone will make that trade like Chiarot but I don’t want it to be the Leafs. Lesser picks/prospects sure

He plays nothing like Chiarot and isn’t a rental so I’m not sure why you are connecting the two.

I can see Jensen being a very attractive defensive pilar alternative to Tanev especially if the Leafs didn’t want to spend assets on a 3 month rental.

There’s also no certainty it would take a 1st here….maybe it’s a 2nd and good prospect or something like that.

Jensen is definitely underrated given the responses in this thread. I’m not sure why Tanev is so high profile and yet people think Jensen is a bargain basement plug…

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I suggested him back on our trade board awhile ago, but it didn't get much traction, probably due to his age. Then again, we were rumoured to be in the mix for Tanev.

Jensen never gets brought up when we're talking about right handed defensemen, but I think he'd be a solid target providing the price isn't too astronomical and other options are off the board.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Why not get Matt Dumba instead? May as well get Clayton Keller too and re-unite him with Matthews since they had such good chemistry at the all star game :)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
he’s got 2 years left on his deal so that definitely has value, not a pure rental. Obviously I have no inside info but my guess would be you’re starting with a first round pick.

Jensen costs more as a non ufa

Schultz or Dumba likely imo

This is a 34 year old player though.

He can still play but i don't know if having to be saddled with him for a couple more years actually makes him more valuable to teams.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Leafs bargain bin shopping when Matthews is having a year like this is pretty funny
I guess it's funny if you are trying to find things to laugh at.

This is what Matthews is and the plan is to build a contender around him every year. He is the best scorer in the NHL, not just having a good year.

I think the Leafs first in in play, but not for a rental or overpayment. Who have the Leafs missed out on this year to that they should have paid the price for? Tanev? The Leafs don't have a second rounder. Zadorov? Lindholm? Not sure those are the right play either.

The Leafs just had a 7 game winning streak and are adding Jarnkrok, Woll, and Lyubushkin to that roster.

Let's wait until after the deadline, which is a week away before we declare their deadline strategy was a bad one.

Reactions: CatchyTune and BM14

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Was the Edit really necessary? It's like the difference between Chris and Christopher It's the same name.

Hope this helps you out....

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I guess it's funny if you are trying to find things to laugh at.

This is what Matthews is and the plan is to build a contender around him every year. He is the best scorer in the NHL, not just having a good year.

I think the Leafs first in in play, but not for a rental or overpayment. Who have the Leafs missed out on this year to that they should have paid the price for? Tanev? The Leafs don't have a second rounder. Zadorov? Lindholm? Not sure those are the right play either.

The Leafs just had a 7 game winning streak and are adding Jarnkrok, Woll, and Lyubushkin to that roster.

Let's wait until after the deadline, which is a week away before we declare their deadline strategy was a bad one.

To be fair 2 of those 3 aren't adds they were already Leafs

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
for a late first, why not. Hopping in the car now. Nick can pay gas and tolls.
Honestly he’s a legit 2nd pair dman. If you ask him to be a number 1 or the best 2nd pairing dman you will be disappointed. He does show flashes of carrying the puck into the zone and other offensive traits.
But it’s just a late first. Probably a fair deal

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So our first for a plug? Treliving should be fired on the spot if he makes a deal like that
Tell me you know absolutely nothing about Nick Jensen without telling me you know absolutely nothing about Nick Jensen.

Friendly reminder that it’s ok for people not comment in threads about players they don’t watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad