Friedman: Nick Jensen connected to Maple Leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
On the Jeff Marek show Friedman mentioned that Niklas Jensen name has been connected with the Maple Leafs, this shouldn't come as a surprise because Jensen has been connected to the Leafs for years to the point where they actually agreed to a deal to acquire him.

Back in 2017, or 2018 whichever year he became a Capital, Kyle Dubas had agreed to a deal to acquire Nick Jensen, However Mike Babcock blocked that deal when he refused to play Dermott with Jensen, had Jensen been acquired, Dermott would have come out of the lineup and that's why he became a capital instead.

So the fact that there is interest there doesn't surprise me, the interest has been there for years.

My problem isn't even the cap hit you can get retention on that, or move money around there are ways to do it.

My problem is the potential price I'm not convinced this is the guy you give up the 2024 1st round pick for and I'm sure Washington would ask for it.

Reactions: smitty10

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
On the Jeff Marek show Friedman mentioned that Niklas Jensen name has been connected with the Maple Leafs, this shouldn't come as a surprise because Jensen has been connected to the Leafs for years to the point where they actually agreed to a deal to acquire him.

Back in 2017, or 2018 whichever year he became a Capital, Kyle Dubas had agreed to a deal to acquire Nick Jensen, However Mike Babcock blocked that deal when he refused to play Dermott with Jensen, had Jensen been acquired, Dermott would have come out of the lineup and that's why he became a capital instead.

So the fact that there is interest there doesn't surprise me, the interest has been there for years.

My problem isn't even the cap hit you can get retention on that, or move money around there are ways to do it.

My problem is the potential price I'm not convinced this is the guy you give up the 2024 1st round pick for and I'm sure Washington would ask for it.
Are you just assuming the ask is a 1st?

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
he’s got 2 years left on his deal so that definitely has value, not a pure rental. Obviously I have no inside info but my guess would be you’re starting with a first round pick.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Regarding the 1st; would it be more if Jensen came at 50% retained? Similar to the McCabe deal, he wasnt necessarily worth a 1st on his own, but at $2 million cap hit for 2 more seasons we happily made that deal, and it turned out well (just wish we kept Lafferty)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Capitals aren't retaining on a contract that has 2 years left after this season.

I don't think they are shopping Jensen either. They are so close to a Playoff spot that likely only guys to move are pending UFA's.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not a fan of the OP in this one because of the 1st round assumptions and all that, but that’s not relevant to the thread

"My problem is the potential price"

I told you right there the price was my speculation, It's not my fault you didn't read the OP that is a you problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad