Player Discussion Nick Foligno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I wouldnt be suprised if he’s in the lineup Monday.
I thought they were waiting to celebrate his 1000 games against the Jackets.
He already did a few weeks ago. They waited until CBJ came to Boston on a Saturday night to honor him. His Dad had been over coaching in the paralympic games when he hit the milestone plus he wanted his family there and it takes time to coordinate everything

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He and Blidh will rotate a bit down the stretch but come playoffs, Foligno will be out there game 1.

Had he not gotten hurt so early in the season there is no doubt he would have produced a lot more.

The 4th line looked good last night and had some good chances.

We are going to need their controlled chaos going into the playoffs.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
After watching and reading I’ve come to the conclusion that if they get rid of Foligno in the offseason it will be a huge problem in the locker room. You can tell how much he is loved by the boys. I’m convinced he will be here next year. Might be 4th line duties but he will do it with a positive attitude and for those guys. He’s not going anywhere.
How would they get rid of him in the offseason even if the team wanted to? Are they going to attach another draft pick to get another failed free agent signing to get him out to free up cap space?

No one wants him unless they are getting extra compensation in return. Hell even Toronto didn’t think his leadership outweighed the product he was putting on the ice and that was after they gave up a first round pick for him.

This is nothing more than to keep bergy happy and hope he returns for next season.

Also sure he may be good in the locker room in some aspects, but there’s also a few young guys that are probably disgruntled that see foligno is washed and that they should be playing over foligno. Yet foligno is getting the nod because he’s buddies with the teams top center.

Must be pretty tough for young guys realizing that their performance doesn’t matter and folignos going to play regardless.

Reactions: Yeti34

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
"So this person you're setting me up with....are they attractive?"

"Welllll they have a great locker room presence...."

Every guy around the team knows that Foligno is probably embarrassed of his lack of on ice production. Of course they are going to hype the guy up as a great locker room guy to not make him feel completely useless. Them doing that keeps the media from focusing on how much of a non factor he is on the ice.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Milestone for Foligno and well deserved and classy that they waited for Columbia to celebrate. I like the guy. A team needs all kind of character and role player to glue the cake. I really believe he is part of Boston success this year....

remer

Oct 18, 2005
How would they get rid of him in the offseason even if the team wanted to? Are they going to attach another draft pick to get another failed free agent signing to get him out to free up cap space?

No one wants him unless they are getting extra compensation in return. Hell even Toronto didn’t think his leadership outweighed the product he was putting on the ice and that was after they gave up a first round pick for him.

This is nothing more than to keep bergy happy and hope he returns for next season.

Also sure he may be good in the locker room in some aspects, but there’s also a few young guys that are probably disgruntled that see foligno is washed and that they should be playing over foligno. Yet foligno is getting the nod because he’s buddies with the teams top center.

Must be pretty tough for young guys realizing that their performance doesn’t matter and folignos going to play regardless.
Well we can hope that he comes to the realization that he had a great career and chooses to retire. He hit 1000 games, has a chance in the playoffs to contribute, enjoys his year in Boston and goes out to pasture. I think Nick is a good guy but his time is likely coming to an end. We have been all waiting for him to be better and it just isn’t happening. 4th liner at best. Hoping like everyone else that he finds the fountain of youth come the playoffs, but just don’t see it.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Well we can hope that he comes to the realization that he had a great career and chooses to retire. He hit 1000 games, has a chance in the playoffs to contribute, enjoys his year in Boston and goes out to pasture.

He wont give up what could be his last good nhl salary

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
He seems like a very nice guy. It’s too bad that he clearly should no longer be in the nhl. This maybe sends the wrong message to the younger guys who can actually contribute?

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
They actually let players recruit free agents? Seems wrong not to mention poorly done in this case.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Milestone for Foligno and well deserved and classy that they waited for Columbia to celebrate. I like the guy. A team needs all kind of character and role player to glue the cake. I really believe he is part of Boston success this year....

While I agree what he is bringing is useful, He was brought in to produce some offense and in that area he has failed miserably. Not sure if it is age or injury or both, but the skills are just not coming through

It's a shame, the effort is there, the leadership appears to be, but the lack of offense is a big problem

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Wondering if brass felt there was a lack of leadership on the team and he was brought in for that reason? Maybe?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He’s been physical going to net, finishing checks, looks over his groin strain - that play he crashed the net last night and started a scrum with former teammates I had to rewind to verify it was him

He gets under 30% zone starts which is a point killer yet they continue to bring every shift to the offensive end

He rarely has a shift where he doesn’t marinate a defenseman

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
While I agree what he is bringing is useful, He was brought in to produce some offense and in that area he has failed miserably. Not sure if it is age or injury or both, but the skills are just not coming through

It's a shame, the effort is there, the leadership appears to be, but the lack of offense is a big problem
When I go to games and I saw 8 in 10 days (5 Bruins & the 3 NCAA in Worcester) I like to follow certain players be it Kneis & LaCombe of Minnesota, Lupina & Uftko of U Mass, Hughes & McDonagh of Northeastern- or all the guys in the NHL I got on my SIM team be it Hughes, Hamilton, Point, Liljegren, Lindholm I watch shift times, when they came on ice, matchups

A been watching Foligno

Points are cool, cool, cool, as Abad would say but not everyone is out there for points or put into position for points

Foligno role is not that and I also have never watched an NHL shift going back to pre Orr and close to 2000 games with their salary on my mind as I watch

This salary stuff is a relatively recent phenomenon so maybe If I was 30 or under I would tie or into every comment like on HF

The objective is to win to me and any contribution small or large that achieves that is fine with me

Foligno helps them win from what I see

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Well we can hope that he comes to the realization that he had a great career and chooses to retire. He hit 1000 games, has a chance in the playoffs to contribute, enjoys his year in Boston and goes out to pasture. I think Nick is a good guy but his time is likely coming to an end. We have been all waiting for him to be better and it just isn’t happening. 4th liner at best. Hoping like everyone else that he finds the fountain of youth come the playoffs, but just don’t see it.
He’d be a fool to leave nearly $4m on the table

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
When I go to games and I saw 8 in 10 days (5 Bruins & the 3 NCAA in Worcester) I like to follow certain players be it Kneis & LaCombe of Minnesota, Lupina & Uftko of U Mass, Hughes & McDonagh of Northeastern- or all the guys in the NHL I got on my SIM team be it Hughes, Hamilton, Point, Liljegren, Lindholm I watch shift times, when they came on ice, matchups

A been watching Foligno

Points are cool, cool, cool, as Abad would say but not everyone is out there for points or put into position for points

Foligno role is not that and I also have never watched an NHL shift going back to pre Orr and close to 2000 games with their salary on my mind as I watch

This salary stuff is a relatively recent phenomenon so maybe If I was 30 or under I would tie or into every comment like on HF

The objective is to win to me and any contribution small or large that achieves that is fine with me

Foligno helps them win from what I see

Well this doesnt apply to Foligno. Dating back to even preseason it was evident that they viewed him as a guy who was going to give them something offensively just by how he was being used, the team was putting him in a position to score points. They put him on the first power play unit and kept him there until he played roughly 30 games with the B's and he performed so poorly on the power play he not only got removed from the top power play unit, he doesnt even play on the power play unit anymore. Then 5v5, he was on the 3rd line for the start of the season and even got some showcase on the 2nd line. Again he under performed and the team was forced to relegate him to the 4th line.

So its pretty apparent that when the Bruins initially signed him they expected him to produce much more offensively than what he has to this point. Now of course I highly doubt they expected him to be pushing for one of the top point producers on the team, but its clear that when they signed him, just be how he was initially deployed, that they envisioned him to be significantly better than what he has been.

So yes, "Foligno's role is not that" but its not that anymore, because he was given every opportunity to do it and he failed. Then once he failed, he got dumped to the 4th line and lost his role that the Bruins had initially signed him to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad