Player Discussion Nick Foligno

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Foligno's been pretty steady lately.
Also wouldn't mind Blidh jumping in here and there. That 4th line was looking reallllllllly good with him out there before he got hurt? Hasn't played since has he?
I too haven't minded Foligno lately. He's not worth 3.8 mil, but he's playing a lot better and his legs seem to be getting better as the season goes on. With another injury though I worry about his effectiveness dropping further.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I too haven't minded Foligno lately. He's not worth 3.8 mil, but he's playing a lot better and his legs seem to be getting better as the season goes on. With another injury though I worry about his effectiveness dropping further.
I think he's been okay but he's not producing or helping his linemates produce. Just thinking better options with Studnicka and Blidh other?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree with you both ,I think he does look a lot better and he is throwing his weight around which I think is needed, the contract is for another time...........

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Foligno's been pretty steady lately.
Also wouldn't mind Blidh jumping in here and there. That 4th line was looking reallllllllly good with him out there before he got hurt? Hasn't played since has he?

No Blidh hasn't been back, frozen out by the $4million dollar man. I guess Foligno has been steady, but I feel like he just looks decent by comparison to the utter ass he looked like for the first 40-50 games. He still isn't very good these days.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Sweeney keeps blocking his draft picks. Blidth should be playing on this roster all day long.

Reactions: Dr Hook

False Start

May 8, 2018
Foligno has been better in the sense that he's been smart with the puck and seemingly making more plays in the offensive zone in general which leads to shots for him.

But that 4th line is missing something. Lazar and Nosek bring it and Foligno is playing his best game but that line doesn't have cohesion it feels. When Blidh was there, this line was a little bit stronger of a force with speed and pace of play.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think he's been okay but he's not producing or helping his linemates produce. Just thinking better options with Studnicka and Blidh other?
Yeah that's the thing, in the playoffs having a vet like Foligno might be a better idea, however those two would bring better on ice production and speed.

I would be intrigued by a Nosek-Studnicka-Lazar line

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Does anyone really believe that he's got an injury or do you all feel like I do, in that they're sitting him down because his play was bad but letting him save face by saying it's an injury?

Reactions: Deuce17

Wirelessbits

Dec 11, 2021
Foligno seems like a great guy, a leader and a team first locker room guy. So man, it hurts to see him struggling so bad out there. Watching him reminds me of my game when I'm playing against players way above my level...just trying to not make mistakes and dumping the puck with no vision to make passes because I'm worried about losing possession....makes me cringe watching that which I'm sure Sweeney does when he watches.

Still hoping he rises up a level for the playoffs but in his game playing against his old team I expected to see the best Foligno, and meh...

Bruce is responsible for putting the best player out there just like Sweeney is responsible for building the team. Bruce must be losing his patience.

Tough situation and very much reminds me of Backus. Big heart but just not the body to match...

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Saw this now a couple times with Foligno..He brings the rough stuff & then he gets nicked up.Still want him healthy for playoffs though cause that style might be needed here there.Anyhow Bruce will make that call whem time comes.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Does anyone really believe that he's got an injury or do you all feel like I do, in that they're sitting him down because his play was bad but letting him save face by saying it's an injury?
As I said in the offseason he’s just banged up from the play style he’s had from his entire career. The production had been in a steep decline even before this season and has got worse this year. Idk if it’s an injury or just an accumulation from being banged up.

The signs were all there for the bruins to stay away, but I think it was more about keeping bergy happy than anything else. Probably why he’s still getting put in the lineup.

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He should only play if:

1.) Injuries

2.) Someone falls off a map

He’s done. He brings very little. He should be a 3.8M cheerleader for the rest of the season. He’s not one of the 12 best forwards.

You can make an argument he’s not even in the Top 14.

Marchand
Pastrnak
Bergeron
Hall
Haula
DeBrusk
Coyle
Smith
Frederic
Lazar
Blidh
Nosek
McLaughlin
Steen
Foligno

Reactions: 13Hockey

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Cassidy doesn’t have the balls to sit him. Between Bergy wanting foligno here and the team paying him nearly $4m a year, Cassidy is just going to keep him tucked away on the fourth line.

Reactions: Blowfish and Yeti34

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
After watching and reading I’ve come to the conclusion that if they get rid of Foligno in the offseason it will be a huge problem in the locker room. You can tell how much he is loved by the boys. I’m convinced he will be here next year. Might be 4th line duties but he will do it with a positive attitude and for those guys. He’s not going anywhere.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
We lost a lot of leadership across Chara, Krug, Krejci, Rask (grain of salt there), etc. We replaced that with a fair amount of new faces and young men.

Look it's not a pretty contract, but it's a short contract. If he's part of the glue that keeps the guys together, I can deal. That does have value. We know Bergeron isn't the most vocal of leaders. Foligno being part of the leadership is cool by me.

I'd have to imagine come playoff time, he's leaving it all out there. Might be one of his last real shots at a cup.

Reactions: CDJ

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Agreed. Foligno's skills might have diminished, but his presence in the locker room is undeniable. It's a tough choice to make going forward because Blidh is the more effective 4th line grinder right now but Foligno brings that leadership and the possibility of recapturing some of those higher skill plays and scoring moments. I have a feeling Foligno would be a heck of a coach.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Thought his game was really trending up a month ago. Too bad about the recent injury. When his skating is at least average for NHL level, which is was for a stretch, he is an effective player and deserves his spot in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad