Nick Foligno Discussion

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Foligno Hyman and Simmonds will each be on one of top 3 lines come playoffs when chips are down and each shift matters. There needs to be a forechecking/net front presence on each line so we can keep puck in attacking end most of game. Guys like Willy may even drop down to 3rd/4th line if he does not ramp up intensity level.

My guess
Foligno JT Willy
Hyman Matty Mitch
Mik Nash Simmonds
Gally/Jumbo Kerfoot/Engval Spezz
whatever happens 4th line won't play much
Jumbo will always be on bench as 13th forward
Spezz will be RW on 4th line with Gally/Jumbo/Kerfoot/Engval switching in and out

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Boudreau thinks Leafs should load up their top 2 lines because with Foloigno they should be able to produce close to the top line and play them 18-23 minutes each. Does not think Gally is a top 6 forward.

11 34 16
71 91 88
12 15 65
97/24 20 24/19

Galchenyuk will be useless unless in the top 6 though, and his play on that line has been pretty effective.

I like the idea of a Hyman/Kerfoot/Mikheyev line, or Engvall instead.

Try Foligno with Tavares and Nylander to start.

A line with Hyman Foligno and Mikheyev could be interesting too.

Throw Roberston in the mix, if he shows anything after a couple of games, and we've got a real blender situation.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Foligno in the lineup is going to be fun to watch in think. Don’t have a clue how it’s going to look in terms of quality he brings to the lineup.
The perfect player to put on a line that Nylander is centering. Yeah, i think Nylander should be our third line center with two wingers along the Foligno playing style.
Foligno/Nylander/Nash would be a interesting look. Willy could fly around carrying the puck more and have two clever defensively sound,responsible wingers.
Foligno can play anywhere in the first three lines if willy was converted to center. Otherwise top 6 all the way and PK and powerplay

Only way I move 88 to #3C is if he does not work with 91 and 71 and you do not want to split 34 and 16.

With Foligno we could have two very strong top lines which teams may not be able to contain.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Foligno Hyman and Simmonds will each be on one of top 3 lines come playoffs when chips are down and each shift matters. There needs to be a forechecking/net front presence on each line so we can keep puck in attacking end most of game. Guys like Willy may even drop down to 3rd/4th line if he does not ramp up intensity level.

My guess
Foligno JT Willy
Hyman Matty Mitch
Mik Nash Simmonds
Gally/Jumbo Kerfoot/Engval Spezz
whatever happens 4th line won't play much
Jumbo will always be on bench as 13th forward
Spezz will be RW on 4th line with Gally/Jumbo/Kerfoot/Engval switching in and out

Finally some playoff style looking lines. If we face Winnipeg we're going to need guys get in Helle's face and we finally got guys to do that.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Galchenyuk will be useless unless in the top 6 though, and he's made the line on effective.

I like the idea of a Hyman/Kerfoot/Mikheyev line, or Engvall instead.

I agree and that is what I posted earlier if Gally can keep playing well. He has a history of starting well and drpping off. So far no such sign though.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
____________ Matthews Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares Nylander

One option is take the other team to poundtown when they are trying to catch their breath from not playing the top 6.

Hyman Foligno Simmonds

Reactions: Fogelhund

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree and that is what I posted earlier if Gally can keep playing well. He has a history of starting well and drpping off. So far no such sign though.

Galchenyuk has been working his tail off which is great. But you can also see where he has earned the reputation for being a bit of a low IQ player with some of the decisions he makes with the puck. If he can just be a hard working north south player who attacks the net at 100% and throws hits on the forecheck while being responsible defensively you take the good and the bad.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Lines can be a constantly changing thing here at times. That's not meant to be a criticism. I often put greater emphasis on ice time than I do line combos anyway. Can imagine him playing on any line but the fourth. I'll be happiest with seeing the Foligno Leap, Version 2.0.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Boudreau thinks Leafs should load up their top 2 lines because with Foloigno they should be able to produce close to the top line and play them 18-23 minutes each. Does not think Gally is a top 6 forward.

11 34 16
71 91 88
12 15 65
97/24 20 24/19

Might work.

For now tho Galy has kept earning his spot and his 40+pt even strength pace is good top 6 production. And I think he has a much better chance of being useful on a top line than a 3rd line.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
My expectations are that he will be that in-your-face gritty sandpaper guy who I've wanted on our team since he was on Ottawa.

I don't get into line pretending much and if I did I would use their names and not the irritating usage of #s instead of names. [sorry ToneDog but it really just makes your posts more difficult to read than necessary]

I expect him in the lineup the first game he is eligible to play which I figure will be against Van or Winnipeg next Mon or Wed depending on exactly how they calculate one-week quarantine to start etc etc

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Galchenyuk has been working his tail off which is great. But you can also see where he has earned the reputation for being a bit of a low IQ player with some of the decisions he makes with the puck. If he can just be a hard working north south player who attacks the net at 100% and throws hits on the forecheck while being responsible defensively you take the good and the bad.
Go check out the amount of turnovers this entire lineup has before centering out just one bro. https://morehockeystats.com/teams/givetake
Other contenders don’t turn the puck over anywhere close to the degree this team does. Its a rather huge issue for my thinking. It needs to be fixed.
Chucky has been a puck hound overall. I like his game lots.

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I like the idea of 2 dominant lines and a decent bottom 6, vs spreading the talent around.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Mikheyev

We have some amazing talent up front, lots of different line combinations. I expect Foligno to have a similar impact to Hyman.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Reactions: Cleetus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad