News Article: Nichushkin returning on 2 Year deal

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Not what I was expecting, but I guess at the same time you won't find many 40 point wingers under 3M. That is assuming he doesn't completely suck

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
You have it backwards. Nill went after Hudler after he knew Nichushkin was gone. It was so late in the off-season, that Hudler was all there was left.
They were negotiating all summer, it took a month for Nichushkin's rights to be traded within the KHL after Hudler signed with us.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
They were negotiating all summer, it took a month for Nichushkin's rights to be traded within the KHL after Hudler signed with us.
I think you’re re-writing history here. Nothing Nill was going to do was going to bring him back. Nichushkin had been negotiating with KHL teams starting well before Nill signed Hudler.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
I personally am not a big fan, this was a bad pick when they drafted him. This could take up a potential roster spot of a prospect that needs/has earned it. I get that its free depth but the whole leaving for Russia (after using a 1st round pick to select him) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I personally am not a big fan, this was a bad pick when they drafted him. This could take up a potential roster spot of a prospect that needs/has earned it. I get that its free depth but the whole leaving for Russia (after using a 1st round pick to select him) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah taking the consensus top 5 prospect at 10 was definitely a bad pick at the time. Come on.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah there was nothing wrong with the Nichushkin pick. Outside the top 10, the first round is pretty bad. Max Domi, Josh Morrissey (huge hit by the Jets) and Mantha were drafted after Nich, then some other OK guys like Pulock, Theodore etc but nothing mind blowing.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Are we trading for one of those? Because we have nobody in the pipeline that has "earned" it.
a slight argument could potentially be made for Hintz, but
Dickinson, Smith, Elie are all scrubs
The only thing Guryanov has earned is Healthy Scratches.
Robertson is still another year or so away from having a real chance

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Nichushkin was the right pick at the time and I still think he ends up the better player than Dickinson, Hintz, Guruanov, Shore, maybe even Janmark. He’s not the 70 point beast we all wanted, but should still be a valueable 40 point player with good two way play.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Two way play?? Since when?

His agent as well as a Russian beat writer for the KHL praised his 200 foot game in his 2 year stint with the CSKA. Val was used on the PK, including taking draws at times. One of the reasons his point total wasn't as high as some wanted it to be.

Be interesting to see how it'll translate to the NHL.

Reactions: Kcb12345

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
His agent as well as a Russian beat writer for the KHL praised his 200 foot game in his 2 year stint with the CSKA. Val was used on the PK, including taking draws at times. One of the reasons his point total wasn't as high as some wanted it to be.

Be interesting to see how it'll translate to the NHL.

His agent praised his game? Wow, I’m sold!

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Don’t nitpick comments dude, get real bud.
Nitpick? Seriously?

His agent, and a beat reporter were used as sources to claim he plays good defense.
I’m allowed to think those are ridiculous places to trust. It’s not nitpicking, it’s logic.

You trust the Stars’ beat reporters to give it to you straight? Heika?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No need to ger hostile over it.

It being mentioned at all is a good thing, but yes, comments from agents should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think we can all agree he’s serviceable defensively. The important part is him improving offensively, especially his shot. It boggles my mind that he never seemed to learn how to shoot the puck properly.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

It being mentioned at all is a good thing, but yes, comments from agents should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think we can all agree he’s serviceable defensively. The important part is him improving offensively, especially his shot. It boggles my mind that he never seemed to learn how to shoot the puck properly.
From his predraft highlights, it's easy to see why. He was taller and lankier than everyone else. He also skated in a straight line faster than his competition. It's why every one of his goals was him skating at the goalie and using his reach to push the puck around the goalie on the ice. It was an impressive trick. He tried it a bunch of times as a rookie in the NHL and pretty much never scored. It turns out, NHL goalies don't commit early and can move side to side.

And then by the time he got to the NHL it was a bit too late to learn how to shoot the puck.

Reactions: eartotheground

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South

Not sure who you’re speaking to, but I don’t feel at all hostile.

I can’t agree that he’s serviceable though. My hopes are very low. When he was here he was rather petulant. Plenty of times he just gave up on D.

I would love to be proven wrong, I just don’t have any expectations of success.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
That's what happens when Putin stacks your team.. KHL stats are useless the entire league is a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad