News Article: Nichushkin returning on 2 Year deal

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It’s fine.

valeri_nichushkin_dallas_031814.jpg

Looks flat to me. I dunno, if I were him I’d try switching to something with a deeper toe curve, but it’s so tough to switch if you’ve been using the same curve for however long.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I just watched a Nichushkin highlight video to reacquaint myself, and I swear to god, he didn’t get a puck above even chest level in any goal I saw. Never seen anything like it in the NHL. What kind of curve is he using on his stick? Anyone know? I’m not saying this would 100% fix him but he might be due for a switch.
Not true , he had one deflect off a stick and go bar down once lol nukes all power , definately not a sniper . His shot his hard though .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
When the drafted DG, he had a bull rush style and few goals at any level. Got to think JN values that for some reason. Just saw an article on ESPN about the biggest draft busts, both were on the list.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
When the drafted DG, he had a bull rush style and few goals at any level. Got to think JN values that for some reason. Just saw an article on ESPN about the biggest draft busts, both were on the list.

Nuke shouldn't be a bust. Hes still going to play, DG is looking like one though unfortunately

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
DG will be fine. He's "very coachable" and "wants to learn more and get better". Ignore the fact he only has 37 goals in 203 games of professional hockey.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
There are so many ways to misjudge a draft pick, and Stars have done all of them...

Glennie - Great junior production means he can produce at higher levels. As it turns out, mostly because of his line mates. Also, didn't check out his personal issues.

Campbell - One great junior tournament skews value.

DG - great physical assets that "surely" will allow him to blossom later and finally start scoring goals, as in "you can't teach skating (much)

Tufte - You can't teach size (representative of some other picks) No, not fair yet as he seems to be starting to improve.

Caamano - has to be good, we took him in the fifth round...….

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
DG will be fine. He's "very coachable" and "wants to learn more and get better". Ignore the fact he only has 37 goals in 203 games of professional hockey.

We should also ignore the fact that the sole reason we drafted him was goal scoring ability. I hate this team sometimes.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I’m sure he can elevate the puck, he probably just can’t do it at NHL game speed.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
DG was playing great and getting a lot of praise from laxdall during the playoffs up until the semi finals where he seemed to have a tough time . He got 19 goals this year playing mostly 3rd line and was 3rd on the team , so he’s shown he does have scoring ability . If he’s given more ice time , more pp time I think 25-30 goals is more than achievable for him next year .

Reactions: Kcb12345

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
DG was playing great and getting a lot of praise from laxdall during the playoffs up until the semi finals where he seemed to have a tough time . He got 19 goals this year playing mostly 3rd line and was 3rd on the team , so he’s shown he does have scoring ability . If he’s given more ice time , more pp time I think 25-30 goals is more than achievable for him next year .

This is not acceptable production for a now 3 year pro, former 12th overall pick in a deep draft.

That’s the main issue. DG looks like he will never make the NHL, much less become a regular. The fact that he only has one game (which really doesn’t count for anything considering the circumstances) is just bad.

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
I just watched a Nichushkin highlight video to reacquaint myself, and I swear to god, he didn’t get a puck above even chest level in any goal I saw. Never seen anything like it in the NHL. What kind of curve is he using on his stick? Anyone know? I’m not saying this would 100% fix him but he might be due for a switch.

Nuke uses a Kreps/P28 curve. It's a mid-toe that's become a common curve in the last 5 years. I think it's more just mechanics and possibly using a stick that doesn't have enough flex (all of his that I saw were 95 flex) . If he puts time/has been putting in time working on his mechanics it should improve, maybe some time with Benn, Seguin, any of the guys that can really rip it.

Anyone here catch the Puck Soup podcast from Draft Weekend? Dave Lozo gave some good insights into the off ice things that are difficult about coming over to North America as a young
foreigner. And I would definitely say that culturally, it's a steeper learning curve for Russians than almost any other European country that consistently produces high end players.

He's had some time to (hopefully) mature in general, but Radulov being in Dallas is a big mentor opportunity if Val is open and receptive to it.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Nuke uses a Kreps/P28 curve. It's a mid-toe that's become a common curve in the last 5 years. I think it's more just mechanics and possibly using a stick that doesn't have enough flex (all of his that I saw were 95 flex) . If he puts time/has been putting in time working on his mechanics it should improve, maybe some time with Benn, Seguin, any of the guys that can really rip it.

Anyone here catch the Puck Soup podcast from Draft Weekend? Dave Lozo gave some good insights into the off ice things that are difficult about coming over to North America as a young
foreigner. And I would definitely say that culturally, it's a steeper learning curve for Russians than almost any other European country that consistently produces high end players.

He's had some time to (hopefully) mature in general, but Radulov being in Dallas is a big mentor opportunity if Val is open and receptive to it.

That’s extremely interesting to me. I use an E28 (essentially the same thing from what I can gather) and I sail it 5 feet over the bar all the time. So weird.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Really excited to see how Val will do. I'll be thrilled with a 20 goal season, but expecting 15-25 type year for Val in his return.

And yes, hopefully he has learned to elevate the puck.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That’s extremely interesting to me. I use an E28 (essentially the same thing from what I can gather) and I sail it 5 feet over the bar all the time. So weird.
I’m the opposite of Nichushkin. I can life the puck with ease, even up close, but I’m too slow for my shot to be worth a damn.

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
Val has broken 30 points like once? IMO I think he's a bit overrated on some blogs and he'll need to adjust to NHL speed coming from Russia. Camp and pre-season should be very interested for him.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Val has broken 30 points like once? IMO I think he's a bit overrated on some blogs and he'll need to adjust to NHL speed coming from Russia. Camp and pre-season should be very interested for him.
I'm really only expecting him to just be an improvement over Ritchie which shouldn't be hard

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's interesting to compare him with another young player.

Rookie season

Nichushkin: 34 points in 79 games, strong praise for how he played alongside Seguin and Benn
Devin Shore: 33 points in 82 games, total afterthought of a 3rd/4th liner

Second full season
Nichushkin: 29 points in 79 games, 101 excuses offered, praised for fighting through so much adversity
Devin Shore: 32 points in 82 games, thought by many Stars fans to be the worst player on the team

Thoughts heading into 2018-19 season
Nichushkin: Make him the first line RW! He has so much potential!
Devin Shore: Please trade him or cut him. He's terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->