News Article: Nichushkin returning on 2 Year deal

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
It's interesting to compare him with another young player.

Rookie season

Nichushkin: 34 points in 79 games, strong praise for how he played alongside Seguin and Benn
Devin Shore: 33 points in 82 games, total afterthought of a 3rd/4th liner

Second full season
Nichushkin: 29 points in 79 games, 101 excuses offered, praised for fighting through so much adversity
Devin Shore: 32 points in 82 games, thought by many Stars fans to be the worst player on the team

Thoughts heading into 2018-19 season
Nichushkin: Make him the first line RW! He has so much potential!
Devin Shore: Please trade him or cut him. He's terrible.
At least in my mind since Shore doesn't really have a defined role (lw, rw, c?) he's almost more expendable. I don't really know where to put him in the team depth chart so just seems like an easy trade candidate. I'd love for him to do well, but can't see it unless they dedicate a postion for him and he sticks to it and grows. The +/- might make him a target for some people.

Edit: finishing sentences :|

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Rookie season

Nichushkin: 34 points in 79 games, strong praise for how he played alongside Seguin and Benn

Second full season
Nichushkin: 29 points in 79 games, 101 excuses offered, praised for fighting through so much adversity
Devin Shore: 32 points in 82 games, thought by many Stars fans to be the worst player on the team

Ignoring their age/potential/draft position I see. Nichushkin was 18 and 20 in his seasons, while Shore was 22 and 23. Also should mention there were a couple of more years of pro experience for Shore before he hit the NHL. I'd take Nichushkin over Shore anyday despite the risks. Players like Shore come around often

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Nuke has trouble adjusting to NHL speed, he will likely be a real bust. 2 years playing with Seguin, Benn and two years against some good competition in Russia, yikes. I hope he is just ready, then like some have said, why not give him a try where Ritchie and others have failed?

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013

Rookie season

Second full season

Come on this is a bad argument and you know it.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Not sure why that argument is so controversial. They aren't the exact same circumstances, but nobody is facing the same things as Val and Devin also had a major shoulder injury that cost him lots of games to match Val's hip. Plus the age difference is like 10 months.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Not sure why that argument is so controversial. They aren't the exact same circumstances, but nobody is facing the same things as Val and Devin also had a major shoulder injury that cost him lots of games to match Val's hip. Plus the age difference is like 10 months.
I’d say an 18 year old from the KHL’s rookie season is a bit different from an English speaking 22 year old with many years of experience in North America. Also solely comparing points while ignoring Shore’s shitty analytics is dumb.

I don’t even dislike Shore, he’s a great guy, just not a very good player.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

It's the age difference when they hit the NHL level and the experience before that.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It's the age difference when they hit the NHL level and the experience before that.

I think you can compare Shore's 15-16 AHL numbers to Nichushkin's either this year or last. One was a PPG in a better league and the other was Val. Right now we have a disagreement with some numbers on one side and nothing positive on the other. If he had been a 4th rounder nobody would be thinking twice about agreeing with Troy's point. There's no reason to think he'll be better besides super stale draft hype.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Ok. Fine.

Age 21 season
Nichushkin: 28 points in 45 games in the KHL (playoffs included)
Devin Shore: 26 points in 26 games (all but 3 games were in the AHL), missed a bunch of time due to a shoulder injury

Age 22 season
Nichushkin: 36 points in 69 games in the KHL (playoffs included), something like 40th in points in the KHL
Devin Shore: 33 points in 82 games in the NHL as a rookie, total afterthought of a 3rd/4th liner

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I think Shore has potential still, but his problem is that he and his linemates draw the ire of 2nd tier D, which is still good enough to shut him down and put the pressure on him...

Either he needs 2nd line quality linemates as a 2C, or the Stars need to acquire a 2c to shelter him and Faksa going forward.

It is too bad we can't just graft Faksa and Shore together because then they would be Bergeron.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Looks like Stars are counting on one and hopefully both to break out, getting better with age.

According to Dan Haimus, Stars are trying to save money for a big name acquisition, which might be EK, or might be a wing to change the depth charts, moving these two down. Would be nice if they made one more move for scoring.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Looks like Stars are counting on one and hopefully both to break out, getting better with age.

According to Dan Haimus, Stars are trying to save money for a big name acquisition, which might be EK, or might be a wing to change the depth charts, moving these two down. Would be nice if they made one more move for scoring.

Where did Dan say this?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Saw it in the DMN this morning, I think. Maybe the Athletic. But, it was a quote of him saying why they told him he wouldn't be resigning. Might just be his opinion based on what he sees going down.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Oh, Hamhuis. I was wondering who Dan Haimus is :laugh:

That’s kind of a strange thing for him to say...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad