News Article: Nicholson Interview

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Edmonton AM | The Oilers' Bob Nicholson

"You go all the way to Glen Sather, and how many people has this organization interviewed to name a general manager, through my research is one person, that they've looked at. Obviously that's a mistake."

Connolly - "Is your job on the line here?"
Nicholson - "You know what, you'd have to talk to Darryl Katz on that."
Connolly - "Could you line that up, could you be able to get him on the phone for me?"
lmao

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Someone should question why MacTavish, Green and Howson are still employed. That's like spitting onto the face of every knowledgable Oiler fan. Why are these 3 stooges still employed by Katz and Nicholson.

Telling you they are 3 of the 4 culprits of such a horrible past few years. 1 is done, why are the other 3 around ?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Someone should question why MacTavish, Green and Howson are still employed. That's like spitting onto the face of every knowledgable Oiler fan. Why are these 3 stooges still employed by Katz and Nicholson.

Telling you they are 3 of the 4 culprits of such a horrible past few years. 1 is done, why are the other 3 around ?

Ultimately it's Katz who decides that shit. He likes hanging with the OBC.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Ultimately it's Katz who decides that ****. He likes hanging with the OBC.
Green and Howson are not though ? Green was the culprit behind the Reinhart trade, Howson is VP player personnel...are these guys getting under the table ?

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Right off the bat Bob tries convincing us the team is playing pretty good hockey lately and dodges the question "what is wrong with the oilers?"

Reminds me of the visual improvement crap from MacT. We were aiming to be a contender and we are 3 points from last place. Brutal organization.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Also on Nicholsons interview.....apparently Koskinen, at 4.5 mill a season was our best option heading into next season... your telling me you can't find a 4.5 to 5 mill a year goaltender in the NHL better then Koskinen.... your kidding me right ?

Robin Lehner is proven, and probably signs at 3.5 for god's sakes.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To be fair, they didn’t play like crap against Pittsburgh, Carolina, or the Islanders.

“Didn’t look as shitty as usual” is a pretty low bar for a team that’s won one game in the last month.

Full credit to Connolly, he didn’t pull his punches but was still respectful. I think actually getting asked some difficult questions shocked Nicholson. He’s used to the prime juicy softballs lobbed at him from the likes of Stauffer, Jones, and Spector.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Also on Nicholsons interview.....apparently Koskinen, at 4.5 mill a season was our best option heading into next season... your telling me you can't find a 4.5 to 5 mill a year goaltender in the NHL better then Koskinen.... your kidding me right ?

The goalie market is pretty damned slim this offseason. Basically the only options for starters are Howard and Varlamov.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
"We are going to turn over every rock this time. It hasn't been done"

And you have been part of this organization for how long Bob? Do highly competitive sports organizations give higher ups a second chance when they crashed and burned the first time? He's giving us this report that the fans have mostly pieced together long ago. Years after he's been here and he's finally thinking about doing things diferently? What a joke.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Green and Howson are not though ? Green was the culprit behind the Reinhart trade, Howson is VP player personnel...are these guys getting under the table ?

They are basically an extension of the OBC. Guys loyal to them.

I want them all gone too but ultimately as long as Katz doesn't pull the chute on the OBC, the other guys are going to be around as well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ultimately it's Katz who decides that ****. He likes hanging with the OBC.

Hanging out with them is one thing, having them involved heavily in every day hockey ops after failing for years prior is another. Nicholson is head of hockey ops (as well as business) so he should be asked this question.
"Why is MacTavish and his staff still here, on what merit"?. I don't believe anybody has asked him this exact question and he has an obligation to answer it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The goalie market is pretty damned slim this offseason. Basically the only options for starters are Howard and Varlamov.
Goaltender market is always slim, but it's always flush with a lot of bodies. I don't know that you have to go out and pay a guy 4.5mil for 3 years. Especially when they did.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hanging out with them is one thing, having them involved heavily in every day hockey ops after failing for years prior is another. Nicholson is head of hockey ops (as well as business) so he should be asked this question.
"Why is MacTavish and his staff still here, on what merit"?. I don't believe anybody has asked him this exact question and he has an obligation to answer it.

There is no reason why a legit question like this can be asked.

North

Jun 25, 2009

What's he going to say though? My boss likes having them around?

Also, I guess it is fair to say Nicholson is close to them too. Too close probably but they've been here since before he got here.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
I enjoyed this interview a lot, Connolly didn't let up, probably because he's a real reporter. Also as maddening as it is to listen to our executives talk sometimes, I'm hopeful when Nicholson says he realizes he needs to do a thorough search and talk to as many people as possible.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What's he going to say though? My boss likes having them around?

Also, I guess it is fair to say Nicholson is close to them too. Too close probably but they've been here since before he got here.

Won't know what he says until somebody asks him the question. I just want somebody to ask him the question flat out instead of disguising it with OBC rhetoric. Straight up ask why MacTavish and co. are still here after years of failure.

I don't care about Lowe, Wayne Gretzky etc. I care about the guys who are actively involved in every day hockey decisions. Why are they still here in prominent roles? He owes it to us to answer that if he wants to keep at least a shred of credibility. There's no sugarcoating it, it's a straight forward answer to a straight forward question. Why was Peter fired and these guys not if these decisions were "group decisions" (Nicholson's words)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad