News Article: Nicholson Interview

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
"We really feel as though we are going to start getting some good bounces in the near future here".
giphy.gif

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The real irony is that the best year we've had in over a decade might've actually been the worst thing that could've happened to this team.
2006 was the worst thing that ever happened to the Oilers. If that team had missed the playoffs Lowe and company are likely a distant memory by now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Good read, awesome!! Thank you!!

The Oilers have defied logic with their place in the standings and they're now defying gravity. Nicholson taking the blame is the first time I've seen **** roll up hill.

No worries...you're most welcome!

I agree with your take on this. Crazy s***. :nod:

This might just be the lowest point this team has seen since Katz bought the team. To be honest I didnt think it could get any lower than it was prior to Chia.

Katz and company just keep finding ways to degrade this organization.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
No worries...you're most welcome!

I agree with your take on this. Crazy s***. :nod:

This might just be the lowest point this team has seen since Katz bought the team. To be honest I didnt think it could get any lower than it was prior to Chia.

Katz and company just keep finding ways to degrade this organization.

Isn that the truth.

I can't recall...did they try to mask the GM and head coach hiring process by saying they were interviewing more than just Chiarelli and more than just Mclellan? I can't believe Nicholson outright admitted they didn't interview anyone else for the GM job and I'm taking a stab they didn't bother interviewing anyone else for the HC job, including Todd Nelson, either.

I'm going to get whiplash from the amount of headshaking I'm doing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Isn that the truth.

I can't recall...did they try to mask the GM and head coach hiring process by saying they were interviewing more than just Chiarelli and more than just Mclellan?
I cant recall if the team addressed any due diligence questions back in 2015. It would be interesting to find out.

I can't believe Nicholson outright admitted they didn't interview anyone else for the GM job and I'm taking a stab they didn't bother interviewing anyone else for the HC job, including Todd Nelson, either.

I'm going to get whiplash from the amount of headshaking I'm doing.

Yeah...that boggles my mind as well. The only think I can come up with is that Chia met all of their criteria and they felt that they needed to move quickly in hiring him.
As for McLellan....I would think that he was Chia's hire and not Nicholson's but I dont know for sure.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Re: Koskinen. This is all on Chiarelli. I have no doubt that his pro scouts were involved in the decision to sign him, but it was Chiarelli's decision to give him that dollar amount and term.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I cant recall if the team addressed any due diligence questions back in 2015. It would be interesting to find out.

Yeah...that boggles my mind as well. The only think I can come up with is that Chia met all of their criteria and they felt that they needed to move quickly in hiring him.
As for McLellan....I would think that he was Chia's hire and not Nicholson's but I dont know for sure.
I think this was an organizational hire. Iirc, at the time, a lot of people were trying to credit Mactavish for the hiring. They were saying it was his personal relationship with him (due to their sons) that laid the groundwork and that it was likely going to happen even if Chiarelli hadn’t come on board. Who knows what’s true though, as you say, it’s pretty hard finding the truth on who is, was responsible for anything in this organization. This is done intentionally of course so it can be manipulated later if they need to.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think this was an organizational hire. Iirc, at the time, a lot of people were trying to credit Mactavish for the hiring. They were saying it was his personal relationship with him (due to their sons) that laid the groundwork and that it was likely going to happen even if Chiarelli hadn’t come on board. Who knows what’s true though, as you say, it’s pretty hard finding the truth on who is, was responsible for anything in this organization. This is done intentionally of course so it can be manipulated later if they need to.

I hear you.
This intentionally obscured management hierarchy has been a frustrating aspect of this team for years.

Damn...I wish I just didnt care about this team. I cant seem to quit them. :help:

Reactions: TB12

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Re: Koskinen. This is all on Chiarelli. I have no doubt that his pro scouts were involved in the decision to sign him, but it was Chiarelli's decision to give him that dollar amount and term.

100% Nicholson and others were behind the Koskinen signing.

And for those of you who actually think Kevin Lowe is not behind any sort of hockey operations... Take the goggles off.

Reactions: EagerPug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->