News Article: Nicholson Interview

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Only a severe gambling addict would seriously think the Oilers have a "reasonable" chance of making the playoffs. The Oilers need to surge and 5 other teams need to crumble simultaneously. Not happening. I really cannot stand pandering and patronizing communication from a business when the customers know the truth. Just own your ineptitude. Communicate how you're going to fix it and GET ON WITH FIXING IT.

That's the problem. The Oilers have no idea how to fix this mess. One of the problems is that canning the OBC isn't an option that's available (psychologically) to the owner and his inner circle. Their involvement is just a given and the "solution" needs to work around that reality. Hence - the viscous circle continues.
2-5-3
2-5-3
3-6-1
3-6-1
2-8-0

Well there is 5 teams in front of us crumbling simultaneously.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Could be.
Cause Katz isn't entirely stupid imo.
But the way contracts are worked out, probably more efficient to find a place for them to work for you while paying them.

That said if McTavish, Howson get extended then yeah that's bad.

Lowe will work for us for life, that's something we have to come to terms with.

Reactions: North

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
2-5-3
2-5-3
3-6-1
3-6-1
2-8-0

Well there is 5 teams in front of us crumbling simultaneously.
And we are 1-7-2.

4 of those teams have 7 points in the last 10. Us and one other have 4. Teams are crumbled and we are still the worst of the bunch

Reactions: Yeah15

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
No faith in Nicholson. Also not sure where his great reputation comes from.

Boils down to the echo-chamber and insular world of professional hockey. As Woodguy pointed out the other day, there are about 200 people in the "club".

I have essentially no faith in the current ownership/management to get the franchise back on track. It's really going to come down to how amazing McDavid and Draisaitl can be and how lucky the scouts can get at the draft. If they hit pay dirt (like Jamie Benn, Pavel Datsyuk, Nick Lidstrom level pay dirt) a few times things could turn around in a hurry. Lucking into a franchise goaltender would be nice for instance.

me neither (to your second statement).

Now that I've had about an hour or two to stop giggling at that interview, I'm left feeling even more concerned about what is to come. Everything he said was whack, right down to the 'going through a one of those losing streak things' to 'we still have time to turn this around'. It's not that I think he believes it. I don't think that at all.

I think he sounds nervous, and is babbling like a guy who has no business being the CEO of anything.

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
He worked assembling Team Canada, not that a 10 year old could google search Canadian hockey players and make a team or anything.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
You mean having some type of vision/plan and actually interviewing people for a key role within that plan is the best approach? Shocking!

Reactions: Apathetic

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It wasn't a bad interview but I wish someone would step up and ask him about MacTavish, Howson, Green, pro scouts in general. Nicholson keeps talking about the pro scouts being involved in the Koskinen signing. We've had numerous GM's, coaches, etc.. the one thing that has stayed constant is Lowe keeping people like Howson and MacTavish in the organization and switching their roles. Why is Bill Scott still here when he was part of the management group that failed before Chiarelli? Why is it perfectly acceptable for your organization to to keep employing people who have failed?

I have a framed picture of the 2003 Oilers at the Heritage Classic. Front row of the picture is Lowe, Howson and MacTavish. More than 15 years ago and these people are still making decisions here.

I think Nicholson is side stepping these types of questions and he got off easy again in this interview.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Still sounds like a guy without a clue.

Looks like were in for another 5 years of darkness before he is fired.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just listened to the interview. Hopefully he realized that interviewing 1 person for the GM job in 10 years is a recipe for failure. Otherwise he can stuff his "positive 6 points out of the playoffs" up his arse.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm looking at this interview on the positive side forgetting about the past.

What is the current plan?

1. Nicholson straight up said the rushing the prospects needs to stop. Guys need to develop in Bakersfield. From the looks of it what Woodcroft is doing down there seems to not go unnoticed. Guys need to BE ready and have consistent success at a pro level.

2. They are having discussions figuring out exactly what they need in a general manager. To me this shows they realize how bad they messed up and want to do it right this time and not just hiring whoever is free.

3. The down side. Patience and doing it right seems to be the message so to me that screams a few years away from being legit.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm looking at this interview on the positive side forgetting about the past.

What is the current plan?

1. Nicholson straight up said the rushing the prospects needs to stop. Guys need to develop in Bakersfield. From the looks of it what Woodcroft is doing down there seems to not go unnoticed. Guys need to BE ready and have consistent success at a pro level.

2. They are having discussions figuring out exactly what they need in a general manager. To me this shows they realize how bad they messed up and want to do it right this time and not just hiring whoever is free.

3. The down side. Patience and doing it right seems to be the message so to me that screams a few years away from being legit.

Point 1 is great until they decide to bring Woodcroft up as the HC next season lol

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
One thing that is concerning is how he talks about asking the other 30 GM's for advice. Why would they want to help us? He'd be better off talking to media guys like McKenzie, Friedman, and Ferraro and reading Lowetide's blog than asking Brad Treliving for help.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
When is our owner going to sit down and answer a few unscripted questions about the state of his team?
This is what he hired Nicholson for. Lowe was off-putting. Mactavish was a bumbling idiot towards the end. He has no interest in getting in front of the media and facing these questions. I suspect what Katz is most disappointed in is that his hired mouthpiece is this ineffective in front of the media.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Any part of this guy that inspires confidence in identifying and fixing the problem?

No. Even when he was with Team Canada. He just talks a big game. I'm sure he's fine on the sales/marketing side, but for the love of God they need to get him away from Hockey Ops.

He has never once said anything about hockey that made me think he knew more than 90% of people who frequent these boards. He's a salesman, plain and simple.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Depends on who they hire. I think they can be a playoff team next season with a GM who understands how to support McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins.

So much of the roster seems locked in already for next season, I don't see the flexibility for a new GM to make moves. Hope I'm wrong and he can work some magic though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->