Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose (AHL)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Agree, Chevy says we are a draft and develop team , well start developing. He should have been sent down 2 weeks ago.

Maybe him getting some NHL time to start is just another part of his development. Just one way to look at it. He got a taste, now he's sent down to refine things and work on his weaknesses. Like how Scheif got a taste and then was sent down. Gives him some extra motivation.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
My point is that in order to make a decision on whether a player is ready or not, give him a proper assessment. That assessment would have been a regular shift of few games with some better players. Had Petan sucked, it would have been clear that he was not ready. Explain to me how a similar but 19 year old Robbie Fabbri can play a lot more on a better/deeper team in St Louis than Petan did in Winnipeg? I don't disagree that the AHL is a bad place for Petan but the way he was handled and with the Jets going with unskilled goons or big guys while the rest of the division (ie. Chicago, Dallas, St.Louis) emphasizing young speed and skill sends a somewhat alarming message.

Petan was getting flat out beat 1 on 1 by NHL 4th liners and bottom pairing D nearly every time he was in the lineup.

Petan had a role on the PP with some of our best and did jack.

Do you cook a delissio for 5 minutes and enjoy a half frozen crust, or wait 20 until it is cooked and delicious? Petan needs more time in the oven clearly. Tossing Petan against better 5 on 5 competition when he can't handle the easiest competition is not putting him in a position to succeed.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Nic-Petan-passing-300x200.jpg

Peter wrote about the advantages to having Petan in the AHL last week.

Click here.

Will chat with Petan tomorrow to get his thoughts on the move.

Jimmy Hoots

Oct 10, 2013
Heart-shattering photo. Look at his face. He knows that the dream is over; that life is a pointless charade; that time buries everything in a cold, dead universe.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Maybe him getting some NHL time to start is just another part of his development. Just one way to look at it. He got a taste, now he's sent down to refine things and work on his weaknesses. Like how Scheif got a taste and then was sent down. Gives him some extra motivation.

Good point! The kid has some serious skill but looked a step behind in most situations,
looking forward to see him flourish with the Moose.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Heart-shattering photo. Look at his face. He knows that the dream is over; that life is a pointless charade; that time buries everything in a cold, dead universe.

I guess all that's left for him now is writing Russian novels.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
He has made almost 1/4 of his nhl salary already so this should not be that huge of a deal for him financially. Even if he stays down for the balance of the season he will be getting over $200K in total. Not bad for a kid on the cusp of making it. I think the Jets have treated him very fairly, all things considered.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Petan was getting flat out beat 1 on 1 by NHL 4th liners and bottom pairing D nearly every time he was in the lineup.

Petan had a role on the PP with some of our best and did jack.

Do you cook a delissio for 5 minutes and enjoy a half frozen crust, or wait 20 until it is cooked and delicious? Petan needs more time in the oven clearly. Tossing Petan against better 5 on 5 competition when he can't handle the easiest competition is not putting him in a position to succeed.

I pretty much agree with all of this, except that Delissio is terrible pizza and not delicious no matter how you cook it.

I've always hated the 'but he had bad linemates' excuse. When you put his individual play under a microscope, when he had the puck on his stick, he just failed to impress, even against poorer competition. Guy needs a bit more time.

The NHL is not a development league.

If you want to develop players, then they get more ice-time on the farm team. Sure, you could stick him on a top line and watch him collect the odd secondary assist, maybe have some passes expertly fed to him while he taps them in. Wow, look how much he is developing! But...he's really not. And he probably pulls down the top line too.

This is for the best, IMHO. He's near the bottom or team-worst in a number of advanced stats.

And on the plus side, more incentive for me to go to Moose games.

Last edited:

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Play him with Armia, please...

Agreed those two have never seen a second of action together all throughout rookie camp and preseason I think they would really compliment each other.I have been wanting this for a while

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
That photo is so depressing - his dreams were shattered and then he was forced to look happy about it :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

His dream is far from over. More than half of all NHL players spend time in the AHL.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Agreed those two have never seen a second of action together all throughout rookie camp and preseason I think they would really compliment each other.I have been wanting this for a while
I think Petan - Armia would be even better duo than Grigorenko - Armia. Whenever there is skilled and creative player in the same line with Armia, good and beautiful things happen.

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
I think Petan - Armia would be even better duo than Grigorenko - Armia. Whenever there is skilled and creative player in the same line with Armia, good and beautiful things happen.

I think Armia will turn some heads here in Winnipeg if he gets lined up with Petan at center. He's a great prospect and hasn't shown his true potential playing with our stone-hands farm team. I predict great things from Petan and Armia with the Moose.

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
I agree, playing in the AHL will help Petan, but the fact that he wasn't a 1st rounder or a big stoned handed warrior like Peluso/Thorburn (neither guy would make another Central division roster), Copp or Lowry put him at a huge disadvantage for a legit NHL assessment. The Jets are at the top of the league in terms of height/weight and are league leaders in fighting and penalties. That's not Petan but that's Maurice/Cheveldayoff who cut their teeth as coaches or players in the 80s/90s thug infested CHL and continue to be partial to those kinds of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad