Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose (AHL)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Nobody needs to be called up. Teams run 22 all the time. Both teams next road games are on the 25th. In fact Petan could play all Moose/Jets games until then.

Nothing is still interesting you dummy. :p: :sarcasm:

I am wondering how long he will be down. How long will it take him before he's ready to come back up and make a bigger impact?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Nothing is still interesting you dummy. :p: :sarcasm:

I am wondering how long he will be down. How long will it take him before he's ready to come back up and make a bigger impact?

Ah that's what you meant. I have no issue with him spending the rest of the season with the Moose. He clearly needs to adjust to the pro game. I really hope he plays with Armia and those two catch fire.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Dude never had a chance. Fortunately, he'll likely get it on the Moose. Does he immediately become the 1C there?

He was set up to fail anyway Mo and Chevy want to spin that.

Shucks, gave up an offer of tickets for Friday's Moose game!:rant:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Ah that's what you meant. I have no issue with him spending the rest of the season with the Moose. He clearly needs to adjust to the pro game. I really hope he plays with Armia and those two catch fire.

I don't think he'll spend the whole year there unless a trade brings in an extra roster player. But I guess we'll see. Should be fun to follow.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I get the feeling Petan will realize his potential with another team. He's neither big nor a thug and under Maurice and his 1990s OHL coaching approach, that's who gets rewarded. There are plenty of other 19-20 year olds either on better teams than the Jets or with less skill playing more in the NHL than Petan ever did. Reminds me of Jets 1.0 when they buried Kris Draper and Stu Barnes in favour of big unskilled sloths, how did that turn out for the Jets. And a bad message when they anoint Ehlers (similar skill level) and Copp (nowhere close) with starting jobs. Oh well, he should have had a fair assessment but never did and that's a bad sign.

This move helps Petan reach his potential with this team. You couldn't be more wrong, this is good for him. He gets the chance now to play more minutes, regain some confidence and will be available for a callup when there is an injury.

They tried him in the 4th line role and it wasn't working, can't fathom why anyone would think the Jets are no longer interested in the obvious skillset that Petan brings to the table just because a first year pro player is sent back to the minors after nearly spending the first month and a half of the regular season in the NHL. He was totally given a fair assessment. This is the exact reason we have an AHL team and this is proper development strategy.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I am excited for his development but this is the right move. He looked nervous and his timing was off on almost every game. Finding his rhythm in the AHL will be big for him.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Petan wasn't very effective IMO. However, even now he is capable of being a 4th liner in the NHL (yes with potential to improve for sure) - so if anyone is injured he can be brought up with some predictability / reliability. Given some real time to develop he'll get better for when he is brought back.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Everyone here is in denial that he wasn't given a chance. He never made an impact. He didn't even produce on the PP. If he deserved it he would have been given more ice time. He never earned it. Just IMO

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Everyone here is in denial that he wasn't given a chance. He never made an impact. He didn't even produce on the PP. If he deserved it he would have been given more ice time. He never earned it. Just IMO

I agree with this, he clearly wasn't ready. As you said he didn't even look good on the PP which is his bread and butter.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Peluso's strong play made Petan expendable for the Jets (ducks for cover....)

Credit where it is due. Peluso has played acceptably well so far this year. As I recall his first game was bad but he has been OK since.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I get the feeling Petan will realize his potential with another team. He's neither big nor a thug and under Maurice and his 1990s OHL coaching approach, that's who gets rewarded. There are plenty of other 19-20 year olds either on better teams than the Jets or with less skill playing more in the NHL than Petan ever did. Reminds me of Jets 1.0 when they buried Kris Draper and Stu Barnes in favour of big unskilled sloths, how did that turn out for the Jets. And a bad message when they anoint Ehlers (similar skill level) and Copp (nowhere close) with starting jobs. Oh well, he should have had a fair assessment but never did and that's a bad sign.

Yeah, that big thug Ehlers shouldn't be playing ahead of Petan. :laugh:

Petan was not a fit on the 4th line but there is no one playing ahead of him in the top 9 that should be bumped to make room for Petan at this time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nobody needs to be called up. Teams run 22 all the time. Both teams next road games are on the 25th. In fact Petan could play all Moose/Jets games until then.

Teams run 22 sometimes, not all the time but when they do is it 12F, 8D, 2G? Or is it 13 - 8 - 2? I could see them waiting a few days though. If a F is hurt in the next game they can call someone up in time to practice the next day and then play the day after. I expect they will want to call up someone before heading back on the road.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Teams run 22 sometimes, not all the time but when they do is it 12F, 8D, 2G? Or is it 13 - 8 - 2? I could see them waiting a few days though. If a F is hurt in the next game they can call someone up in time to practice the next day and then play the day after. I expect they will want to call up someone before heading back on the road.

Absolutely they won't hit the road without a 13th F

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was set up to fail anyway Mo and Chevy want to spin that.

Shucks, gave up an offer of tickets for Friday's Moose game!:rant:

True but if he had managed to contribute more on the PP he would still be with the Jets and wouldn't have sat out so often either. That was his opportunity to play offense.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Well 13+8+2 = 23 so I'm pretty sure it's not that... :)

13+7+2 is common. Teams will often carry just 1 extra D.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I agree with this, he clearly wasn't ready.

He earned a spot in with his preseason play, but regular season is a step up and he wasn’t able to find that next gear. I’d have sent him down 10 games ago if Raffle wasn’t hurt.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Nice to see the Jets do the right thing. He was struggling in the NHL, some AHL seasoning will be great for him. It also gives me a reason to go to more Moose games now!

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

Agree, Chevy says we are a draft and develop team , well start developing. He should have been sent down 2 weeks ago.

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
My point is that in order to make a decision on whether a player is ready or not, give him a proper assessment. That assessment would have been a regular shift of few games with some better players. Had Petan sucked, it would have been clear that he was not ready. Explain to me how a similar but 19 year old Robbie Fabbri can play a lot more on a better/deeper team in St Louis than Petan did in Winnipeg? I don't disagree that the AHL is a bad place for Petan but the way he was handled and with the Jets going with unskilled goons or big guys while the rest of the division (ie. Chicago, Dallas, St.Louis) emphasizing young speed and skill sends a somewhat alarming message.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad