NHLPA Player Poll Results for 2018-19

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
In 2018-2019? Umm they are legit so inferior to Kucherov that it's insane. Mcdavid as always stat-padding at the end of a season in meaningless games when his team is already two miles out of the playoffs. Same story as last year. Crosby's is great but his best days behind him, he's nowhere near winning scoring race or selke or any other hardware.
It is just a poll.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
In 2018-2019? Umm they are legit so inferior to Kucherov that it's insane. Mcdavid as always stat-padding at the end of a season in meaningless games when his team is already two miles out of the playoffs. Same story as last year. Crosby's is great but his best days behind him, he's nowhere near winning scoring race or selke or any other hardware.
We are going to come back to this around June.

Reactions: 43sfriends

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gritty in a God damned landslide.

....I do think picking Crosby as the player you'd start your franchise with NOW is a bit short sided but hey.

I don't mind the Crosby votes too much to be honest.

Crosby is arguably still as good as McDavid today overall. So maybe they thought of it as "for just 1 or 2 years", instead of long-term. Crosby isn't a bad choice then, for experience, playoffs, etc.
Some players may have understood as 'starting out' - so they'd pick 18yr old Crosby over 18yr old McDavid, which also explains many votes maybe.

What makes absolutely NO SENSE is that Matthews, Bergeron or MacKinnon got any votes.
If the question was "second best player to start a franchise with" - I have no issue with both Mackinnon and Matthews getting very high consideration. But in what world should they get any votes as #1 pick above McDavid?

Bergeron also makes no sense.

Reactions: kladorf2005

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Bard Marchand winning both best and worst trash talker is perfect

My guess is the guys that voted for him in both categories were thinking similar things but defining them differently. The result is about the funniest thing this poll could have hoped for. Marchy is the best haha.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Kucherov at 4 as a best player is a joke. Good ol' Canadian boys are chosen by good ol' Canadian boys. Other news at 11.

I think reputation is a very strong consideration here. Also - players are very conservative (which is why Crosby and Price always do well). Going into this year most would argue McDavid > Kucherov quite easily. If Kucherov wins end season awards, and if he does well in playoffs and can have a comparable year next year - i guarantee you he'll be at the top with McDavid in the poll next year.

McDavid has now earned his own 'grace period' compared to Kucherov :nod:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Idk, they asked the players who play against them. So when I see a big percentage of players saying they think McD is the best player in the league, I tend to believe them. I agree for Crosby I am surprised, and his reputation probably worked in his favour in this poll, but his hockey head has not changed.

Similarly to how Price has been voted best goalie in front of Pekka Rinne. Players experience stuff that fans don't and they have a reason to vote like they do.

Reactions: jbobell98

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't mind the Crosby votes too much to be honest.

Crosby is arguably still as good as McDavid today overall. So maybe they thought of it as "for just 1 or 2 years", instead of long-term. Crosby isn't a bad choice then, for experience, playoffs, etc.
Some players may have understood as 'starting out' - so they'd pick 18yr old Crosby over 18yr old McDavid, which also explains many votes maybe.

What makes absolutely NO SENSE is that Matthews, Bergeron or MacKinnon got any votes.
If the question was "second best player to start a franchise with" - I have no issue with both Mackinnon and Matthews getting very high consideration. But in what world should they get any votes as #1 pick above McDavid?

Bergeron also makes no sense.

Yeah you're very much right. McDavid should realistically get 100% of the votes for who you'd start a franchise with but with your points to experience I can understand a few photos for Sid.

Probably just comes down to a few friends of Matthews, MacKinnon, etc.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

This is the dumbest comment ever and Kicherov has been stat padding all year, when a games already 5-1.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

McDavid started the season with 52 points in 35 games. It's not like he did nothing early on. Kucherov had I think 50 in 35, could be off a little. But somehow McDavid is inferior to Kucherov?

McDavid has been held off the score sheet 9 times. Kucherov 18 times.

Kucherov has had 8 games with 4+ points scored. (2 games with 5 points scored) McDavid has had 2 games where he scored 4 points.

Tampa Bay Lightning 1st place in goals scored (281). Edmonton Oilers 21st place in goals scored (203)

Both are great players. McDavid is absolutely not interior to Kucherov this season.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
This is probably the 10th time I'm posting this:

When 100% of people's opinion of Barkov is "I absolutely love that guy, he is so underrated!".... he is, in fact, NOT underrated.
Well when you have talking heads making lists that leave him out of the top 10 centers in the NHL, casual fans having no idea who he is, or even NHL19 that forgets he exists anytime they make a premium card for HUT, it's pretty easy to see why he is underrated.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
How do only 50% of NHL players believe Ovechkin has the best shot in the league? How do 15% believe Weber has a better shot than OV?

Not that surprising, Weber’s shot’s much harder and no one else in the league can just beat a goalie with a slap shot from the point like Weber.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Some of these results make no sense.

Best Forward:

McDavid. Obvious choice, he has a lot of votes, no reason needed
Crosby. Obvious choice, experience, track record, playoffs, etc - makes sense why some still view him as best
Kucherov. Best season, so obvious he gets votes too (only 3.7%, should probably get more), makes sense.

McKinnon. 4.1%
Barkov. 1.7%

Now I can argue why McDavid should be #1. Or Crosby. Or Kucherov. Maybe even Ovechkin - goal scoring counts. Heck - maybe Bergeon if i love defensive play, though it'd be a harder sell. But I see no logical reasoning that has either of McKinnon or Barkov getting any votes. In what way are they the best forward?

Start a Franchise with:

Matthews and MacKinnon makes zero sense here. They could probably both be options for #2 - but in no way do they make sense as #1 above McDavid. McDavid is better today - he has been better their whole career - he's always been projected to be better and is still projected to continue being better. Same age, etc.

Crosby. At least if some players think of it as "18 year old Crosby" - it makes sense. Maybe some even think short term, and in the short term 1-2 years, maybe they prefer Crosby, makes sense.

Bergeron - I also don't get it.

Now if you don't like a McDavid or Crosby for this answer - maybe pick a defenseman like Dahlin, and rationalize how defenseman > center. Or maybe even a goalie if you want to build from the goalie position. But Mackinnon and Matthews are comparable to McDavid - and McDavid is clearly better by all/any measures, so them getting votes here make no sense.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Will look forward to some dummies refer to this when making an argument for their player. NHL players are not some sort of gods who know everything about the sport.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
If anything that would just further prove he’s underrated. If the players think he’s the 5th best and the media treats him like he’s the 15th-20th best that means he’s underrated.
He will be a top 15 player on every media ranking after this season which is basically what the NHL players have said here.

He wasn’t deserving of that prior to this season. He’s putting up a lot of points this year to go along with his defensive reputation, that’s what will get him there. The media rankings that had him as a top 20 forward prior to this year were bang on. Now that he is having a better year the media will praise him accordingly.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Besides message boards like this where is he getting any love? The NHL and main stream media almost never mention him. Thats why he is under rated. But then again i guess you know more then players in the NHL.
He plays for the Panthers. NHL media attention only resides in the northeast with occasional jaunts to the upper midwest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad