Hockey Ultimate Team: NHL21 HUT Thread

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Man I haven’t gotten lucky with packs at all. Some people have gotten insane luck, others have gotten total junk. Like me.
The only people that post are the ones that pulled rare cards.
They also tend to lie about just how much money they sunk into the game.

nothing changes lol

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Been saving the 1400 NHL points they gave for playing NHL 20 and most of my coins (have about 150k). Trying to figure out best time to use it since I know eventually there will be a bunch of 99 overall teams. My current team is basically 85-86 overalls with their synergies on. It's doing really well for me so far but doubt it lasts once people start getting their 95+ overalls.

On side note, so happy they finally got rid of contracts. That was such a tedious unfun part of the game.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly the synergies mean a lot of those base cards are going to have a chance to compete super late into the year.

Base Stamkos for example has 94 speed with both howitzer and distributor. That's plenty fast enough to hang with higher rank cards.

Reactions: CPTN71

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
LOVING my team right now. NHL HUT Builder - Team Builder

Got Sakic from the 87 icon lottery and sniped Teppo for 160k.
Would love to upgrade Heiskanen to the 89 but it costs like 500k right now so it have to wait for a while.
Gonna do the 87 icon gamble one more time bunch of good options there that would fit my team (Coffey, Yzerman, Selänne, Pronger)

If anyone is interested I can do a recording of beating superstar ai in squad battles. I'm not really doing anything special just playing the same game that I would play against human opponent.

Beating SS for me requires the right strategy. Proper neutral zone trap and score on rushes, beat the D to the outside track to enter zone, mostly onetimers 2 on 1 or shortside wrister if pass blocked. D zone collapse to the net and try to stay high slot and block and poke.

It does the job against cpu. Online I like to apply more pressure so the same tactics won't work. Im sure they would work but people are much easier pressured to mistakes so a tight forecheck makes for a better game experience. It's not supposed to be the kind of grind squad battles is. But there's plenty of people who play that way and it does work online too of course. Just makes you pull your hair out.

Also packs are always weird. I never get anything worth while from the event packs that have great odds. But I pulled an 86 Leclair from a two gold player pack that I got from trading in 8 silvers. I got a base McKinnon from a mini pack. 88 Lindros from a premium pack. But mind you, I have opened a looot of packs, don't think there's any free ones I have missed, and have gotten the limited time weekly ones with coins. They're still worth the 65k with the guaranteed gold collectible.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
Yeah I just like to play aggressive forecheck whether it's online or ss ai. In my own end I'm more passive if I'm up against someone who is at my level or better. Speaking of online play, this year it's a real grind in the div1/div2 to get even decent rewards. Last year in div 1 it took like 5-6 wins per week to get tradeable gold rewards which were awesome, pulled multiple 200-400k cards. This year I just don't have the time or passion to play 10-20 sweaty as f*** games to get to the same rewards. I haven't even touched the champs, which takes even more effort to get anything good. Superstar Squad battles just feels so relaxing compared to that and it takes on average 1 game per day to get to pro1 which is like the sweet spot in terms of effort to rewards in that mode. Here's another recording from today probably the fastest 7 goals I've scored against the ss: <>

Did a little roster restructuring: <NHL 21 Database and Team Builder for Hockey Ultimate Team | HUT IQ> and now I have >500k in the bank, which I'm probably gonna sell since I likely won't be playing too much online modes.

Haven't bought any packs this year with money or coins and I've sold off every tradeable gold player from rewards because even basic golds go for at least 1-1,1k and there's bunch of sub 80 players that go for way more because of team building sets.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Just decided to try Hut haven’t played really since I could win games in Div 1 with bronze players NHL 16. Also feels weird you trade in full team sets and lose the players oh well though.

is it really worth it to go all out on the distributor synergy.

Can usually outplay stacked teams still but man it’s so frustrating when my team go full dumb mode can’t defend mode. I’m not one of those let the CPU do everything but I switch over to the other D to cut off the player trying to gain the zone then my other D decides hey let’s ditch the other guy I gotta cover. I guess I gotta play more passive but it’s hard because if you give the Mcdavid, Mackinnon, Matthews teams room they can snipe on a weak goal.

Does it make sense to pay up for a goalie? Or should I just slowly upgrade the team I got all 82-84 overall guys. They are decent but can’t bounce off a check like the god cards in this mode.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
I don't think it's necessary to go for distributor early on. I'd go for base (82-85) howitzer, speedster, magician synergy cards. You can get them very cheap at the moment and they can keep up with almost everybody. I wouldn't also pay a premium for a goalie. It's way more about your own defending. Been using base Rinne and he hasn't let in too many softies.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I don't think it's necessary to go for distributor early on. I'd go for base (82-85) howitzer, speedster, magician synergy cards. You can get them very cheap at the moment and they can keep up with almost everybody. I wouldn't also pay a premium for a goalie. It's way more about your own defending. Been using base Rinne and he hasn't let in too many softies.

Yeah you can get a competitive goalie for under 3k, an 85 overall anyway. Still running with 86 Vasilevski and at around 9k he's good enough. Really all about defense.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Distributor is good if you have the right cards so you're not dismantling your lineup to do it.

Coach fiddler, and two goalies (since goalies literally do not matter anyways) gets you to 5 points. I did it because I grinded for Lemieux but unless you have access to the right icon/master set players, it's not worth it really.

You do have to run a couple of plugs to make it work, but there's a few actually solid plug cards that are more than their rating.

Mikael Boedker has it. He's a 78 overall but gets to 89 speed with it activated and can totally hang on your 4th line against even super teams because of his skating

Guy Carbonneau is 84 and has it. General average stats but he has above average face offs so he's perfect for the 4th line or PK. Also super easy to acquire since he's in that 84 icon set for which you only need 30 gold players.

Miro Pekka Saarleinen is a 73 overall silver player that has both distributor and howitzer as snyergies. Gets to 90 speed I believe with both active. All 3 of those guys combine to form a really effective 4th line. They've done way more good than bad for me even in div 3.

That's 8 and then I have Lemieux and Leetch which gets me to 10. Without the icons I don't even bother. Speedster and howitzer are good enough if you don't have access to the icons

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Thanks for the tips. Ya goalies seem rather useless. I need to learn the go to move. It seems like forehand to backhand only works very well in 3 eliminators.

Does seem easier this year gain coins. Rush mode helps a ton

So are there still such things a movember cards that get boost when a players makes team of the week? Haven’t play this mode in so long as you can tell.

I wouldn’t mind saving up for a good player if I know the card will get boost throughout the year.

Had my first bad night of hut. My team felt they would be skating through mud as soon the opposing team got the puck. Even when playing rather safe my D would play even slower getting blown by. Then for insult to injury the ai computer D for me would always lose his man in front of the net while the opposing teams D would always have my players covered tight. You can only protect against the cross crease so much while getting burned. Guess I’ll need to invest in all speedsters.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Finally grinded my way to Gretzky and Lemieux. All have their respective synergy active, no team ones.

Eichel 85 - Gretzky 89 - Benn 86
LeClair 86 - Lemieux 89 - St. Louis 86
Huberdeau 85 - Oates 85 - Richard 85
Stamkos 85 - Seguin 85 - Tucker 85

Redden 85 - Chelios 86
Hedman 84 - Carlson 84
Chara 82 - Suter 83

Price 86

Able to hang with the all 88-90 overall teams so far. Chara is a beast even at 82.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Current team any suggestions I have 113,000 coins saved up.

NHL HUT Builder - Team Builder

Untradable guys are Malkin, Naslund, Burns.

Got lucky and pulled burns in a free pack kinda wish I could trade him though he hasn't really done much for my team.

Got to say Vorachek for being a base player with his overall rating he is a beast always seems to get me clutch goals.

Currently grinding div 4 some fun games here and there but seems a lot of guys just go for cross crease goals even when I give them a breakaway for there player they still have to go for it. Then I have ran into sweaty people who like to rag the puck which is super lame. I hope it gets better in the higher divs.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Hate that they removed contracts from this...it made people
Actually pay attention and I loved running into someone who would bitch about having players who couldn’t play because of contracts and no money to buy one...still hate the pay to win f’ers but this game rewards patience a lot more than 20 did

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
On pace for an Elite 2 finish in squad battles. Probably the highest I’ll ever finish :laugh:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Hut is good until you are regularly facing teams with Gretzky, Lemieux and Morenz spamming cross crease and skating full speed.

I have mostly been playing at night and it seems at that hour there's nothing but those teams. Seems that the matchmaking can give you opponents from any division and at night there's only bad options lol

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Picked up NHL 21 yesterday on Xbox, got the great 8 edition on sale (50%) off.

Tried HUT. Single player I was ok, I did the HUT Rivals placement games and got absolutely blasted (played 2 games, lost 9-0 and 13-1) I need alot of practice or maybe the starter sets I got were terrible.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Digging the fantasy hockey event.

Pulled Couturier.. will probably upgrade him and possibly Boeser or Stone.

** ALSO, the reverse retro’s look great in game. Using the Stars and Ducks RRs for my squad battle games.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I have distributor, spark, howitzer, speedster and magician activated. As much as people are still sleeping on spark, that +4 to acceleration for entire team gives a nice boost. Of course hard to unlock.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Do your re-rolls, everyone:

EonCrmvU0AQaPUO

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
I have distributor, spark, howitzer, speedster and magician activated. As much as people are still sleeping on spark, that +4 to acceleration for entire team gives a nice boost. Of course hard to unlock.

How does your team look like? Been thinking about going for spark along with distributor after pulling Selänne and buying Koivu.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad