NHL winners and Losers Trade Deadline Deals.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
While I don't disagree with your assessment of the Oilers, what does that have to do with deadline day? They had 2 upcoming UFA's and got fair value for them.

When EK, Mcdonagh, Green, and Jack Johnson are available. Your biggest weakness is D, especially ones that move the puck well are available. Time to unload some of those forward prospects and draft picks.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Winners - Columbus, Winnipeg, Nashville, Tampa
Not Bad- New York, Detroit, New Jersey, Boston, Philly (decent depth waiver pick ups)
Not nearly as bad as expected- Ottawa (Got rid of bloat and average. Kept the right players till at least draft time)
Bad-Vancouver, Toronto, Las Vegas, Chicago, St. Louis, San Jose, Montreal, Pittsburgh (Brassard lol)
Abysmal- Arizona, Oilers (Cap hell, lol defense, and bottom feeding), Buffalo
Columbus is a winner for adding Letestu and Vanek? This isn't 2012

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Those stats really have to be taken with a grain of salt.

He's played well this year, but he's unlikely to sniff 50 points again in his career.
it's definitely a career year but at 25 it's not impossible he's taken a step forward. I think he carries decent value.

and either way, since he was having such a great season, it could hurt their offense taking him out if the mix.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No. 2 of those are free
When EK, Mcdonagh, Green, and Jack Johnson are available. Your biggest weakness is D, especially ones that move the puck well are available. Time to unload some of those forward prospects and draft picks.
Half of thise guys are free agents, why would we trade for a free agent now instead of in the summer? We don't know what the price even is to get Karlsson, but it would probably be more than picks and forward prospects. Teams outside of the playoffs don't pay the inflated deadline rates like others do for a reason. Trades like the ones you suggested happen at the draft, not the trade deadline. I would be shocked if Chiarelli doesn't trade our 1st this year, but teams missing the playoffs don't do that until the draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At some point you have to understand you bring this on yourself, you're asking a pointed question ignoring the answer and they saying it doesn't match what you've heard. It looks like you're trying to push an agenda and it doesn't help that you spent years as Leaf fan sometimes holding some interesting positions.

Plekanec has been fine, he shouldn't be playing in the top 6 but he's a solid addition to the bottom 6 and perfect fit for the 4th line.

Matthews
Kadri
Bozak
Plekanec
Moore (injury replacement)

Is a pretty good list of centers.
You should understand when opinions are asked for, answers are up for discussion.

You know, disagree with the post the not the poster. Which is your failing. If you cannot take a poster disagreeing with your opinion on the mainboard. Perhaps this place is too high a standard for you to express opinions.

I asked what others felt of Plekanec's 1st 2 games as a Leaf. I am well aware of how he played. But some are saying Nash was a terrible pick up for Boston. And he scored last night with Bergeron out in a big Boston win. So the narrative I see here is quite different. And I will disagree when I see posters trying to pull the wool over other posters that say a player is playing well when they have not all the time here.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
You should understand when opinions are asked for, answers are up for discussion.

You know, disagree with the post the not the poster. Which is your failing. If you cannot take a poster disagreeing with your opinion on the mainboard. Perhaps this place is too high a standard for you to express opinions.

I asked what others felt of Plekanec's 1st 2 games as a Leaf. I am well aware of how he played. But some are saying Nash was a terrible pick up for Boston. And he scored last night with Bergeron out in a big Boston win. So the narrative I see here is quite different. And I will disagree when I see posters trying to pull the wool over other posters that say a player is playing well when they have not all the time here.

Oh my. And you complain about wasting time. Your shtick never ends.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

What exactly is your objective here? You asked how Plekanec is doing and then proceeded to argue with everyone who said he was doing fine.

Some feel that Nash is a risky pick because he has a reputation for being terrible in the playoffs, not the best thing for a big deadline pick-up. That has everything to do with Nash though not Boston.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
it's definitely a career year but at 25 it's not impossible he's taken a step forward. I think he carries decent value.

and either way, since he was having such a great season, it could hurt their offense taking him out if the mix.

He has some skills for sure. I've always questioned his physical strength (even though, ironically, he might have been TB's most skilled fighter) and how it impacts his ability to reach the next level. He gets ragdolled in the playoffs. I can't tell you how many times I've wondered if someone just permanently injured him.

I seriously doubt it'll hurt TB's offense. Miller might be the better offensive player. Namestnikov put up those numbers while playing a regular shift with two of the top 20 players in the world--literally the most advantageous spot in the NHL, so far as I can tell--and then getting primo minutes on TB's PP, where all the attention is focused on Kucherov, Hedman, and Stamkos.

Namestnikov is a decent NHLer. But there's no doubt in my mind the numbers are inflated. He slowed way, way down every time he was taken away from 91-86. If you have a player who'll click with him, he might prove me wrong, but he's definitely not a guy who can do it on his own.

In a nutshell, that's why TB fans are more/less shrugging off the loss. His value, to us, feels super inflated right now. Before this season, I don't think a Namestnikov for Miller swap was remotely realistic. I still don't really believe it was a straight up swap, but the players were added to even up the value. Yzerman mentioned targeting Miller in the deal.

member 262271

What exactly is your objective here? You asked how Plekanec is doing and then proceeded to argue with everyone who said he was doing fine.

Some feel that Nash is a risky pick because he has a reputation for being terrible in the playoffs, not the best thing for a big deadline pick-up. That has everything to do with Nash though not Boston.
Objective has been clear for a long while.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Winners: Toronto, Tampa, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, NYR
Losers: Vancouver, Arizona, Ottawa, Boston, Buffalo

Not thus far if early returns are any indication.

Nash has 2G 1 A since being traded and the Krejci line has been on fire with him on it.

Wingels has 1G 1 A in 2 games.

Currently the trade deadline is working out well for Boston. Which is why Boston traded a bit of the future at the deadline. The Bruins are also 2-0 since the deadline. These trades couldn't come at a better time with Bergeron out.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
For everyone crapping on Vancouver, it's not the end of the world.
Apparently Holm wasn't going to re-sign, so getting Leipsic for him was a good return.
The Vanek return was disappointing (no draft picks), however we probably weren't going to re-sign him. Yeah, Benning should have gotten a 4th or 5th, but Motte is still better than no deal.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Columbus is a winner for adding Letestu and Vanek? This isn't 2012
Monday night - CBJ fans (me included) "CBJ won at the TDL. Look at Letestu score a goal and Cole play solid. The entire team had boost following TDL passing, powered past the Caps 5-1. They are wonderful, we are going on a run....And Vanek is still on the West Coast, waiting to join us. Incredible."

Thursday night (Friday morning) - Same CBJ fans (me included) "CBJ did nothing huge, in fact we lost at the TDL by not getting something for Jack Johnson - he will walk for nothing this summer. Vanek can't say, let alone play D. Letestu is nice - but he's old, reunion tour begins. Cole is another beard - he is Savard's twin. We looked good for 20 minutes, but the real CBJ showed up for the last 40, and the Kings pummeled us 5-2, with our backup G sucking rocks. We are going no where - too late to tank for lottery pick, not good enough to make playoffs."

What will we think tonight after the Ducks pummel us or we pummel them?

Looks like every team's Boards on any given night....well except maybe the Pens if they 3-peat.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
CBJ won at TDL cause we were buyers, not sellers. Team has great depth and should make the playoffs. It's up to Bob then...either way, good experience for the team's younger players to see what it takes to make the playoffs.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
CBJ won at TDL cause we were buyers, not sellers. Team has great depth and should make the playoffs. It's up to Bob then...either way, good experience for the team's younger players to see what it takes to make the playoffs.
That is far from a guarantee right now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Way too early to say. If you traded serious assets for a rental and don't win the cup, you are probably a loser. Although, the only deal that really went down like that was the Rick Nash deal. It is just the nature of making those types of trades. For Tampa or Pitt to win their deals, they need to win a cup in the next 2 years considering the assets they gave up for a playoff run and a season from the guys they got. Unless they re-coup the assets in the summer or at next years TDL.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Way too early to say. If you traded serious assets for a rental and don't win the cup, you are probably a loser. Although, the only deal that really went down like that was the Rick Nash deal. It is just the nature of making those types of trades. For Tampa or Pitt to win their deals, they need to win a cup in the next 2 years considering the assets they gave up for a playoff run and a season from the guys they got. Unless they re-coup the assets in the summer or at next years TDL.

So the B's will be losers for adding Nash and giving up what? Nash has been great and gives the Bruins two great lines that will be tough match ups for any team they will face in the playoffs.

The fact they added a player as good as Nash for what they gave up is a NO brainer if they had to do it again. The Bruins are loaded with prospects and in my view every player they gave up (except the first who knows) would have been a long shots to play for the Bruins in the future.

Spooner was a no brainer as well, decent player that wore out his welcome in Boston. He would have been scratched again at some point in the playoffs when the going gets tough.

Wouldn't shock me to see the Bruins sign Nash as well. Very good deadline for the Bruins very good indeed

Reactions: b in vancouver

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So the B's will be losers for adding Nash and giving up what? Nash has been great and gives the Bruins two great lines that will be tough match ups for any team they will face in the playoffs.

The fact they added a player as good as Nash for what they gave up is a NO brainer if they had to do it again. The Bruins are loaded with prospects and in my view every player they gave up (except the first who knows) would have been a long shots to play for the Bruins in the future.

Spooner was a no brainer as well, decent player that wore out his welcome in Boston. He would have been scratched again at some point in the playoffs when the going gets tough.

Wouldn't shock me to see the Bruins sign Nash as well. Very good deadline for the Bruins very good indeed
I didn’t say you were losers, but that to justify you being winners on the deal you have to win the cup. When you pay a hefty price for a pure rental that is really the only way to win it.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
That is far from a guarantee right now.
Either way is fine with me. Like I said, getting experience for all the young players on CBJ is better than selling people and knowing your out of the playoffs. It's up to the vets (who have all but disappeared this season) that need to wake up and atleast provide secondary scoring FFS.

While I won't say they will make the playoffs, it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
same with banking on Bobrovsky come playoff time. maybe I'll be proven wrong but his track record is lousy
Nothing last forever...right? I wonder if he knows these chances don't last forever and without some Ws...all the vezinas in the world wont get him into the HoF. I bet he does...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad