NHL winners and Losers Trade Deadline Deals.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Toronto fans and management are perfectly happy keeping our prospects and picks and continuing with the build process. Thanks for wondering, though.

It's funny. With a McDonagh-type, you guys could actually be legit. But you added Plekanec. Thanks.

Reactions: Flair Hay

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's been fine, last night he had to play higher in the line-up then we would like but he's a huge upgrade on Moore for the 4th line.

I read the contrary in the GDT's. He has been disappointing and a ridiculous notion he was working as a double agent for thge Habs which is silly. He's better IMO than what he has showed. Perhaps he will pick it up as the price was a significant one to get him.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I read the contrary in the GDT's. He has been disappointing and a ridiculous notion he was working as a double agent for thge Habs which is silly. He's better IMO than what he has showed. Perhaps he will pick it up.

The Leafs GDT are often piles of garbage with the same people picking apart every flaw of the team. They don't speak to how most Leaf fans feel.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Curious How does Plekanec look in his first 2 games since the trade? Leafs gave up a 2nd rder and prospects for him.

Agree about Statsny, he looked like he fit like a glove when inserted into Winnipeg's line up last night.

Like a prototypical 3rd/4th line C. Didn't like dealing picks for him but I wont miss Rinat or Kerby and I am very glad we kept our 1st.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I read the contrary in the GDT's. He has been disappointing and a ridiculous notion he was working as a double agent for thge Habs which is silly. He's better IMO than what he has showed. Perhaps he will pick it up as the price was a significant one to get him.

Do you get your hockey opinions from GDTs?

That would explain a lot about the quality of your posts.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It's funny. With a McDonagh-type, you guys could actually be legit. But you added Plekanec. Thanks.

Or we keep getting better and keep building on our prospect and farm system? It wasn't really worth losing cost controlled assets like Dermott/Kapanen/Brown and picks for McDonagh. It's been three years really since the new regime took over and we've gone from last place, to wild card to fighting for the division, we're pretty happy with the plan and progress.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

You're welcome, we'll just stay on this very exciting path of keeping our picks and developing from within. You would have made a great fan of the old Leafs though, they gave up their picks liek they were candy if they had any chance at all. Turned out well, right?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Leafs GDT are often piles of garbage with the same people picking apart every flaw of the team. They don't speak to how most Leaf fans feel.

One of the comments was from a moderator about how slow he is now. So I don't know about that. I like Pleky from the past. I think he can help the 4th line, though it is fair to say Moore did score last night. I guess we shall see.

Like a prototypical 3rd/4th line C. Didn't like dealing picks for him but I wont miss Rinat or Kerby and I am very glad we kept our 1st.
How was the price significant?

I mentioned in a post yesterday, I hate dealing 2nd rd picks as like they are throwaways. IMO they are one of the most underrated pieces in trades. A glance at 2nd rd picks from year's past will indicate this. IMO this is one of the biggest mistakes a GM can make, if they are throwing them into a deal. Next to a 1st rd pick, they have the most underlying value when picks are traded.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How was the price significant?

I wouldn't bother. If the Jets had made a similar deal, TWS would have given you the graphs showing how 2nd rounders have significantly less chance of making it than 1st rounders, how poor Rinat and Kerby were at the NHL level, etc etc. It's his shtick. He would have pointed out that it's only 2 games, and shown you Pleks advanced stats which showed how valuable he was.

Reactions: Placid Perspicuity

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
One of the comments was from a moderator about how slow he is now. So I don't know about that. I like Pleky from the past. I think he can help the 4th line, though it is fair to say Moore did score last night. I guess we shall see.

I mentioned in a post yesterday, I hate dealing 2nd rd picks as like they are throwaways. IMO they are one of the most underrated pieces in trades. A glance at 2nd rd picks from year's past will indicate this. IMO this is one of the biggest mistakes a GM can make, if they are throwing them into a deal. Next to a 1st rd pick, they have the most underlying value when picks are traded.

So, Nash and Plek are on pace for the same amount of points, but Plek plays C and has a much friendlier contract, and the Leafs didn't have to give up any young roster players....and yet, you call it throwing away a pick....meanwhile, you are gushing over Rick Nash.

Do you even see your own bias?

If Boston doesn't win the 1st round, they gave up Spooner+16thish overall for 1 year of Nash. Why is that not "throwing away" a pick?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wouldn't bother. If the Jets had made a similar deal, TWS would have given you the graphs showing how 2nd rounders have significantly less chance of making it than 1st rounders, how poor Rinat and Kerby were at the NHL level, etc etc. It's his shtick. He would have pointed out that it's only 2 games, and shown you Pleks advanced stats which showed how valuable he was.
You sound so defensive, like a nerve was hit. It is funny that you posted the exact thing about hating trading 2nd picks just a min ago, and now are claiming that I am doing some shtick.

Your post is hilariously ironic.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
You sound so defensive, like a nerve was hit. It is funny that you posted the exact thing about hating trading 2nd picks just a min ago, and now are claiming that I am doing some shtick.

Your post is hilariously ironic.
Actually I am claiming your opinion is bias and team based, that much is well known around here as fact.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

Why did you even ask how he looked if you already thought you had the answer?

Reactions: Critical

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If Detroit had managed to trade Green for anything, like just a 2nd round pick, then I would have said they had the best TDL. That Tatar trade was fantastic for them. It's a great start to a rebuild. But it's the only move they made. They had a chance to do more, and it was a mistake not to.

Green should have gotten a 1st. But maybe teams hesitated because of injury. Fine. Then take what you can get. If Green might realistically re-sign, then he probably would have come back as a UFA, too. So what's the difference. He was a player they could liquidate, and they faied to do so.

And there were rumors of a Glendenning trade (as a Leafs fan, I'm glad he didn't end up here). If they backed off because they wouldn't retain salary, then they made the wrong call. Retain whatever you need to, he's not helping anything by staying put.

What Detroit did was great. But what they didn't do was a bit stupid.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You said you were curious how Plekanec looked in his first couple games, then your next post you said he looked disappointing.

From a Leafs fan. Not sure what to tell you, other than this is a discussion on a player traded at the deadline. Where the poster has been commenting in this thread for days now. Got any more questions on my posting habits?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Hear this guys? Next to 1st round picks, 2nd round picks have the most value.

Thanks tips.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Winners - Columbus, Winnipeg, Nashville, Tampa
Not Bad- New York, Detroit, New Jersey, Boston, Philly (decent depth waiver pick ups)
Not nearly as bad as expected- Ottawa (Got rid of bloat and average. Kept the right players till at least draft time)
Bad-Vancouver, Toronto, Las Vegas, Chicago, St. Louis, San Jose, Montreal, Pittsburgh (Brassard lol)
Abysmal- Arizona, Oilers (Cap hell, lol defense, and bottom feeding), Buffalo

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Winners - Columbus, Winnipeg, Nashville, Tampa
Not Bad- New York, Detroit, New Jersey, Boston, Philly (decent depth waiver pick ups)
Not nearly as bad as expected- Ottawa (Got rid of bloat and average. Kept the right players till at least draft time)
Bad-Vancouver, Toronto, Las Vegas, Chicago, St. Louis, San Jose, Montreal, Pittsburgh (Brassard lol)
Abysmal- Arizona, Oilers (Cap hell, lol defense, and bottom feeding), Buffalo
While I don't disagree with your assessment of the Oilers, what does that have to do with deadline day? They had 2 upcoming UFA's and got fair value for them.

Reactions: bs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad