NHL TV ratings 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
We did it boys, we did it. The NHL dodged a bullet tonight. We didn't want to see this end so fast in 5 with half of america on the streets protesting and not at home watching.

Now we're going back to TB for gm 6 on a sun night with no NBA and only 1 lousy boring baseball game to compete with. If gm 6 is close to the end, the rating will be astronomical. And if TB win and it goes to gm 7 on Tues night, look out.. If that gm7 is close to the end, we are looking at 7-8M with a peak of 10M+.

What a great way that would be for the NHL on ESPN to get center stage and finish their 1st yr with them on such a high note and the coverage the NHL would get this yr would be great if this thing went 7..

Last edited:
Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Entering Friday’s potential clincher, the Avalanche-Lightning Stanley Cup Final is averaging 4.18 million viewers on ABC — up two-thirds from Lightning-Canadiens last year (2.22M) and up 1% from Blues-Bruins in 2019, the previous Cup Final to take place in a normal postseason (4.16M). Keep in mind that this year marks the first time ever that the first four games of the Cup Final have aired on broadcast television; prior to this year, at least two of the first four games aired on cable.

This year’s four-game average is the highest since Capitals-Golden Knights in 2018 (4.33M) and the second-highest since Blackhawks-Lightning in 2015 (4.97M). Beyond the cable caveat, keep in mind that out-of-home viewing was not included prior to two years ago.

Since the NHL returned from the 2004-05 owners’ lockout, Avalanche-Lightning ranks sixth out of the 17 total finals over that span — behind 2018, 2015, Kings-Rangers in 2014 (4.66M), Blackhawks-Bruins in 2013 (5.34M) and Blackhawks-Flyers in 2010 (4.24M).

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

Entering Friday’s potential clincher, the Avalanche-Lightning Stanley Cup Final is averaging 4.18 million viewers on ABC — up two-thirds from Lightning-Canadiens last year (2.22M) and up 1% from Blues-Bruins in 2019, the previous Cup Final to take place in a normal postseason (4.16M). Keep in mind that this year marks the first time ever that the first four games of the Cup Final have aired on broadcast television; prior to this year, at least two of the first four games aired on cable.

This year’s four-game average is the highest since Capitals-Golden Knights in 2018 (4.33M) and the second-highest since Blackhawks-Lightning in 2015 (4.97M). Beyond the cable caveat, keep in mind that out-of-home viewing was not included prior to two years ago.

Since the NHL returned from the 2004-05 owners’ lockout, Avalanche-Lightning ranks sixth out of the 17 total finals over that span — behind 2018, 2015, Kings-Rangers in 2014 (4.66M), Blackhawks-Bruins in 2013 (5.34M) and Blackhawks-Flyers in 2010 (4.24M).
Considering the markets involved in this cup vs the others that were larger (combined) I'd have to say the new media partners are helping. Especially since cord cutting has impacted all leagues.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Considering the markets involved in this cup vs the others that were larger (combined) I'd have to say the new media partners are helping. Especially since cord cutting has impacted all leagues.
But, but...Vegas vs. Caps: Vegas is only about the 40th largest tv market. So a bit of a handicap there, plus its new fan base.

And Pittsburgh vs. Nashville was also smaller markets (despite Pittsburgh always getting strong local ratings).

So Avs vs. Lightning is not unusually small.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
It looks like game 5 will come in around 4.5 million. Fast overnight ratings had game 5 at 3.56 million and the real figure ended up at 4.6 million. The overnight for game 6 was 3.44 million which is a little lower. With everything going on with the Supreme Court announcement yesterday it probably affected the number. ABC still won the night for total viewers and 18-49 demo again. Sunday should do very well. Perhaps 6 million?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
It looks like game 5 will come in around 4.5 million. Fast overnight ratings had game 5 at 3.56 million and the real figure ended up at 4.6 million. The overnight for game 6 was 3.44 million which is a little lower. With everything going on with the Supreme Court announcement yesterday it probably affected the number. ABC still won the night for total viewers and 18-49 demo again. Sunday should do very well. Perhaps 6 million?
Game 6 or game 4?

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
Game 6 or game 4?
Thanks, my mistake. Game 4 was a little higher than game 5 in the fast overnight ratings. 3.56 compared to 3.44 million. In the past the the final number is a little over a million higher. Game 4 was 4.6 million so game 5 will likely be around 4.5 million.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Any precdictions for tonight? We have seen game 6 or 7 getting to 6M/7M before without big markets. I think we can get to 6.5M.

4mats4

Sep 15, 2019
Any precdictions for tonight? We have seen game 6 or 7 getting to 6M/7M before without big markets. I think we can get to 6.5M.
If the Avalanche look like they're gonna win about halfway through the 3rd tonight I'd expect a 6.5-7 million number because of the people tuning in to watch them win

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
The NHL needs to do what the NBA finals do to get better ratings. When NBA finals are on, it's a big event. The atmosphere in the pregame is great. We've got festivities outside going on, the arena is electric. they have a 1 hr pregame show.. We see the panel of 4 and sometimes we see Shaq, Barkley, etc.... U feel it's a big event watching the NBA finals on ABC.. like a big party about to happen.

Whereas the NHL is boring.. it starts at 8pm on ABC, no big celebrations, a boring panel with Chelly and Messier.. it just seems sooooo boring compared to NBA.. There's no electricity at all. No energy.. It needs to change fast.. Tuning in to abc is like tuning in to a reg season game on cable.. U can never tell it's a SCF.. Is mcdonough the best ABC can do?? And emily kaplan's stupid dumb questions to the coaches.. We need to change this up.. Where's the big panel with Gretzky? he needs to be there, no chelly and messier only...

lets make it feel like a gm6 SCF is about to happen... Even with NBC it was the same thing each yr. This needs to change.. Bring Gretzky, messier, barkley, shaq etc and start shooting at a goalie. Put Gary bettman in goalie gear and take shots at him.. Do something fun.. This telecast is too boring. And the intermissions are so boring too.. Chelly and mess, with steve levy and brian boucher. Always the same crap. Change it up.. Do something fun in the intermissions. Keep the viewers tuned in.

4mats4

Sep 15, 2019
The NHL needs to do what the NBA finals do to get better ratings. When NBA finals are on, it's a big event. The atmosphere in the pregame is great. We've got festivities outside going on, the arena is electric. they have a 1 hr pregame show.. We see the panel of 4 and sometimes we see Shaq, Barkley, etc.... U feel it's a big event watching the NBA finals on ABC.. like a big party about to happen.

Whereas the NHL is boring.. it starts at 8pm on ABC, no big celebrations, a boring panel with Chelly and Messier.. it just seems sooooo boring compared to NBA.. There's no electricity at all. No energy.. It needs to change fast.. Tuning in to abc is like tuning in to a reg season game on cable.. U can never tell it's a SCF.. Is mcdonough the best ABC can do?? And emily kaplan's stupid dumb questions to the coaches.. We need to change this up.. Where's the big panel with Gretzky? he needs to be there, no chelly and messier only...

lets make it feel like a gm6 SCF is about to happen... Even with NBC it was the same thing each yr. This needs to change.. Bring Gretzky, messier, barkley, shaq etc and start shooting at a goalie. Put Gary bettman in goalie gear and take shots at him.. Do something fun.. This telecast is too boring. And the intermissions are so boring too.. Chelly and mess, with steve levy and brian boucher. Always the same crap. Change it up.. Do something fun in the intermissions. Keep the viewers tuned in.
Next season when the Finals are on TNT you will see this. ESPN/ABC probably didn't give the NHL the same production budget as the NBA production gets (I mean the NBA does pull significantly better ratings so it makes sense), but I agree I would love to see the Stanley cup final presented as must more of an event then just another broadcast. At least they have an in area presence whereas NBC's Stanley Cup intermission reports were back in the studio just like any regular game. I have confidence we'll see an improvement on this throughout the contracts duration

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Next season when the Finals are on TNT you will see this. ESPN/ABC probably didn't give the NHL the same production budget as the NBA production gets (I mean the NBA does pull significantly better ratings so it makes sense), but I agree I would love to see the Stanley cup final presented as must more of an event then just another broadcast. At least they have an in area presence whereas NBC's Stanley Cup intermission reports were back in the studio just like any regular game. I have confidence we'll see an improvement on this throughout the contracts duration
I’d tell you it’s already a given that Turner will blow ESPN’s coverage of the Stanley Cup Finals out of the water … based on their coverage of the game this year alone.

The biggest issue we (and the NHL) should be concerned about, is how much outside coverage is ESPN going to devote to the NHL next year, since they don’t have the rights to the Stanley Cup Finals.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I’d tell you it’s already a given that Turner will blow ESPN’s coverage of the Stanley Cup Finals out of the water … based on their coverage of the game this year alone.

The biggest issue we (and the NHL) should be concerned about, is how much outside coverage is ESPN going to devote to the NHL next year, since they don’t have the rights to the Stanley Cup Finals.
They will probably give it about the same amount as this year as they still have the “priority rights” for rounds 1-3 and will have rights to subsequent years. It doesn’t really benefit them to “bury it” in odd years.

But all the complaints are accurate. It feeds into the narrative that they are trying to cover things in the cheap.

The broadcast tonight is awful. On the second Colorado goal they don’t show a replay of the controversial hook on Bellemare until after the subsequent commercial.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
They will probably give it about the same amount as this year as they still have the “priority rights” for rounds 1-3 and will have rights to subsequent years. It doesn’t really benefit them to “bury it” in odd years.

But all the complaints are accurate. It feeds into the narrative that they are trying to cover things in the cheap.

The broadcast tonight is awful. On the second Colorado goal they don’t show a replay of the controversial hook on Bellemare until after the subsequent commercial.
Agreed - it doesn't make sense to draw back their coverage because they don't have the cup. They still have ESPN+ to grow and the playoffs.

Either way the NHL got more mainstream this year and it's on the league to capitalize.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
I will give ESPN credit for saying on the celebration and the aftermath for more than 40 minutes until the broadcast ended. NBC only showed about 10 minutes and went straight to local news. That alone at shows me they at least made it seemed like an important event.
(Long and meandering post)

Yes, yes. You beat me to it. ABC had extensive celebration coverage! Didn't show in the locker room, though. I guess the on-ice went on for so long that the locker room scene hadn't had a chance to begin yet. Maybe it did for the NBA last week? But I guess a bit of locker room coverage was on ESPN, but I didn't have time to view.

And I believe only one commercial!? Occurred after the Conn Smythe award before returning for the Cup presentation non-stop. And I can't imagine CBC giving any more coverage than ABC last night, especially when no Canadian team was involved.

And I do like how the NHL has the sparklers aglow in the background as the captain starts his skate with the Cup. I think that started in 2019 with the Blues' Cup in Boston, perhaps? Then again in 2020 and 2021, I think. But no confetti, or even those long foil streamers like in other sports, as maybe it'll wreck the ice? Has there ever been confetti, or maybe just if the home team won?

But yes, I was amazed and stunned at how the ABC broadcast went on, and on, and ....I checked the time and it signed off, finally, at about 11:47 pm Eastern time; I believe the game ended a few minutes before 11 pm Eastern time? Actually, I even think the on-ice coverage was too much after awhile (!) as well as the seemingly extensive commentary afterwards? I can't believe I just said that after we all complain about such scant coverage most of the year!

Right, NBC never seemed to give the celebration nearly as much air time as ABC just did? I hope and assume TNT will do similar next year.

And If I recall, we never saw the players' families celebrating on ice on NBC (maybe a bit on NBCSN only?).

Hmm...no, or few, players' kids on the ice? That's unusual. Don't some Avs players have young kids -- or maybe because it was a road game and they stayed home?

NBC seemed to soon shuffle viewers off to NBCSN before the on-ice scenes were fully done, then I think it aired some post-game locker room festivities? Hmm...maybe NBC was continuing to try to promote its NBCSN network even after several years, whereas ABC doesn't really need to promote a championship locker room celebration on ESPN, as viewers already know about ESPN and thus many would naturally gravitate there after any sports championship over these many years? Hmm...

(I woke up a few hours later and enjoyed the continuing celebration on local Denver radio: Altitude sports radio and Denver The Fan thru rhe Audacy and Tunein apps.)

I hope there was no damage to the city of Denver afterwards; and I didn't happen to hear of any bad antics last week in San Francisco after the Warriors won.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I think the “extended coverage” had to do with Sunday Night Baseball (on espn and espn2) going into extras. They had no place to direct people for the post game so they stayed on ABC for an extra half hour (which was the right decision). I’m pretty sure they ended the ABC broadcast soon after the baseball game was over and ESPN was on Sportscenter.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Game 5 numbers

Attachments

• 2022-6-24-Fri-FinalBcast-LSD.png
    2022-6-24-Fri-FinalBcast-LSD.png
    51 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Anisimovs AK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad