NHL TV ratings 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Looking at next year’s schedule. It looks like they have pretty much cleared Wednesdays for TNT (and Sportsnet) in Canada.

Also the Winter Classic scheduled for 2pm on Jan. 2.

And the black Friday Thanksgiving showdown is listed in the release as Pittsburgh-Philadelphia, Tampa St. Louis double header. But the game times was 5 and 7pm. I wonder if the league is losing ABC coverage for that.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Looking at next year’s schedule. It looks like they have pretty much cleared Wednesdays for TNT (and Sportsnet) in Canada.

And the black Friday Thanksgiving showdown is listed in the release as Pittsburgh-Philadelphia, Tampa St. Louis double header. But the game times was 5 and 7pm. I wonder if the league is losing ABC coverage for that.

I haven’t confirmed this, but those start times tell that both games will be on TNT this year instead of ABC/ESPN+. I don’t know if they rotate Black Friday games yearly but that will make sense.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
So they would rotate the games with the cup years too? Intresting

And this probably is a dumb question but does the NHL secure the dates by announcing the schedule first than the NBA? Or does the NBA always has first choice for the regular season dates

Reaser

May 19, 2021

That's what we expected for Wednesday's for this season. The only disappointing part is that it looks like they didn't learn from this past season about scheduling games 3 hours apart instead of 2 and a half. Where the 2nd game of the DH essentially always started on TruTV.

Lot of 7pm and 9:30pm & 7:30pm and 10pm likely TNT DH windows. Instead of 7pm and 10pm or 7:30pm and 10:30pm. Which makes much more sense and given the popularity of the studio would even make room for a 15 minute'ish bridge show between games.

Can also pretty much put together the Saturday ABC schedule. The usual suspects with Rangers, Bruins, Pens, Caps, etc.. Does look like majority of Saturday's will be the same 3pm ET slot though some of those Saturday's are looking like they could be 1pm ET games, which is another Saturday slot ABC uses for sports that time of year.

Black Friday was interesting to me, as well. Would be interesting if that was part of a yearly rotation since Disney is supposed to have the "A" package (which as we know is sort of a misnomer anyway but still..) but TNT would have Black Friday & all outdoor games which would be all the marquee regular season events -not to mention the Cup Final- outside of "Opening night" which TNT gets the Avs opener (arena booking issue) there, too.

I do wonder if they're just trying to make the entire day an event and that they've only just announced the TNT DH part of it? Since Canes@Bruins is there in the traditional 1pm ET slot. More of a 3-game day, sort of the NHL version of what the NFL does the day before? Otherwise would be weird to me Disney would give away their highest rated regular season game and their only marquee regular season date, other than opening night which they don't even have the champs for. So for now, I'll lean towards Bruins being on nationally TV (ABC) on Black Friday.

Of course could just be giving up Black Friday as a one-off year, to not compete with the World Cup?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
So they would rotate the games with the cup years too? Intresting

And this probably is a dumb question but does the NHL secure the dates by announcing the schedule first than the NBA? Or does the NBA always has first choice for the regular season dates
Depends on the arena. My guess for venues that share each team has priority of certain days (say the NHL team Tuesdays and Thursdays and the NBA on Wednesdays and Fridays).

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Reaser

May 19, 2021
You were right on the money. 457,000 for the draft this season which is pretty good. Curious what the peak viewership was

Same, for being curious what the peak was. It ran for 252 minutes, obviously the longer it aired the more the latter stages of the draft would bring down the average. 457k is a good number, regardless.

Reactions: 4mats4

4mats4

Sep 15, 2019
Same, for being curious what the peak was. It ran for 252 minutes, obviously the longer it aired the more the latter stages of the draft would bring down the average. 457k is a good number, regardless.
Same cause if the first hour averaged like 1,000,000 and then towards the end there was only like 100,000 watching that's a big dip

Reactions: Reaser

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Nothing on peak numbers here

… The 2022-23 NHL regular season is scheduled to begin October 11 with Lightning-Rangers and Golden Knights-Kings on ESPN, followed by Bruins-Capitals and Blackhawks-Avalanche on TNT the following night. The league’s annual Black Friday “Thanksgiving Showdown,” which has traditionally aired on broadcast television, is set for TNT this year in the form of a doubleheader (Penguins-Flyers and Blues-Lightning). …

Reactions: 4mats4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad