Not open for further replies.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
3NHL REGULAR SEASON L: PITTSBURGH/TAMPA BAYESPN7:41 PM1570.38983
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5NHL REGULAR SEASON L: SEATTLE/LAS VEGASESPN10:18 PM1540.32783
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Numbers from opening night, tonight the NHL has no competition as they debut on TNT.

Actually did better than my expectations. I was thinking 750k for game one average since it was a terrible game and simulcasted on ESPN+. Do they have ESPN+ numbers?

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Actually did better than my expectations. I was thinking 750k for game one average since it was a terrible game and simulcasted on ESPN+. Do they have ESPN+ numbers?

No espn+ or hulu numbers which is something that i would love to get for the rest of the season since the league has 75 games exclusive there.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
We will NEVER see those numbers. Lol.

Anyways I can’t imagine they are anything significant

I know but still would love to see them since the league is making this a focus of their new deals

What did the 3pm version have (and the 5 on version last Thursday)?

78NHL THE POINT LESPN3:00 PM600.08202
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
150NHL THE POINTESPN25:00 PM600.0369
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Far lower numbers for the other two versions

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I know but still would love to see them since the league is making this a focus of their new deals

78NHL THE POINT LESPN3:00 PM600.08202
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
150NHL THE POINTESPN25:00 PM600.0369
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Far lower numbers for the other two versions

Better that I thought for The Point.

I’m with you on the ESPN+ numbers. But much like how Netflix plays around with their viewership numbers to hide how few people are watching their programming. I’m going to guess ESPN+’s numbers are going to be shockingly small. Life on a subscription service.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Better that I thought for The Point.

I’m with you on the ESPN+ numbers. But much like how Netflix plays around with their viewership numbers to hide how few people are watching their programming. I’m going to guess ESPN+’s numbers are going to be shockingly small. Life on a subscription service.

ESPN+ used to release their numbers but within the past year they stopped releasing them.

Someone could probably go back to when numbers were still being released and determine a % of total viewers that streamed and add that to the TV viewership to get a rough idea of total viewers.

Of course a big benefit of streaming is watching the video afterwards, as i am currently watching SEA/LV right now as i type this.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-...bED-XzrXxW9YIbb51LZJulhTmAMg5yxw-MPiegc8qd3mo

The Penguins @ Lightning game generated an average audience of 984,000 viewers and peaked at over 1.1 million viewers. It was ESPN’s top opening night NHL game on record (topping COL-PIT on Oct. 3, 2001) and the second-largest cable audience for any NHL regular season game since the conclusion of ESPN’s previous NHL contract in 2004. ESPN now has 24 of the 25 largest NHL regular season cable audiences on record.

The Kraken @ Golden Knights game generated an average audience of 782,000 viewers, peaking at over 1 million viewers. It marks the most viewed late-window opening night game on record and the second-most viewed regular season NHL game (cable or broadcast) to start after 9 p.m. ET.

Both games were also streamed on ESPN+ and the above viewership figures do not include ESPN+ streaming audiences.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
The Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay opening game beat the Houston/Chicago White Sox game 4 in the important 18-49 years old demo. It was .38 to .36 with the NHL game being the 3rd rated program in original programming on cable for the night and the MLB game 4th. The MLB playoff game did have more viewers over all and was on at 2:00 PM on FS1.

Still, a regular season NHL game beating a MLB game 4 playoff game in the advertising demo is pretty good and encouraging.

The numbers are on showbuzz daily for Tuesday night.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Long post:

And maybe ESPN's Penguins-Lightning game could have been even slightly higher if Crosby and Malkin were playing?

No, it's not like NBA ratings suffering big-time if their stars are hurt, but still, having Crosby and Malkin could have added another 100,000 viewers or so?

And unlike past openers, I was not counted, as I watched on my fuboTV app on my tablet, as maybe more than ever did. So the rating is actually more impressive compared to no streaming options years ago. But maybe they'll release streaming numbers later in the season, likely some Final games? Not sure if many NBA streaming numbers are released...maybe just the Finals?

Just think if it were the Blackhawks, Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings or Flyers coming off a Cup or two rather than the smaller national fanbase of Tampa?

That NBCSN game last year at 5 pm for Flyers vs. Penguins, though, was indeed impressive for that time slot as the anticipated first game after the league re-started. First of three games that night on NBCSN, correct? I doubt the new networks will, or can, ever give hockey a triple header in one day, even on Hockey Day in America, which I hope is scheduled again this year. So NBC/NBCSN did have positives despite complaints from many here; and I liked their theme song perhaps better than the always great ESPN one!

Remember when the Seattle draft surprisingly drew better than Cubs-Cardinals months ago even though airing on ESPN2? Sure, the baseball game was non-exclusive, but those legendary teams could only draw less than 700,000 on ESPN in the meat of their schedule. Since there will be so few ESPN NHL games this year vs. what NBCSN aired, they'll likely feel more special or more appointment viewing, thus maybe some games could hit 600,000+ regularly. There won't be as many of those NBCSN early-season games which usually diluted interest and ratings since they weren't as special as fewer ESPN games will be. That'll be a good rating when compared to some of the MLB lower-rated games.

Was it the Lake Tahoe game last year postponed to night the next calendar day that drew 1.1 million or so NBCSN's biggest regular-season rating ever?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenway

4mats4

Sep 15, 2019
TNT got their moment on Wednesday with Charles Barkley.

Barkley WILL attract casual fans to sample the NHL.

I had a lot of fun watching TNT's studio team, I laughed the hardest at just how much larger Chuck was when he was sitting in the chair next to Gretzky. Just wish my Rangers put up more of a fight

Reactions: saffronleaf

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Long post:

And maybe ESPN's Penguins-Lightning game could have been even slightly higher if Crosby and Malkin were playing?

No, it's not like NBA ratings suffering big-time if their stars are hurt, but still, having Crosby and Malkin could have added another 100,000 viewers or so?

And unlike past openers, I was not counted, as I watched on my fuboTV app on my tablet, as maybe more than ever did. So the rating is actually more impressive compared to no streaming options years ago. But maybe they'll release streaming numbers later in the season, likely some Final games? Not sure if many NBA streaming numbers are released...maybe just the Finals?

Just think if it were the Blackhawks, Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings or Flyers coming off a Cup or two rather than the smaller national fanbase of Tampa?

That NBCSN game last year at 5 pm for Flyers vs. Penguins, though, was indeed impressive for that time slot as the anticipated first game after the league re-started. First of three games that night on NBCSN, correct? I doubt the new networks will, or can, ever give hockey a triple header in one day, even on Hockey Day in America, which I hope is scheduled again this year. So NBC/NBCSN did have positives despite complaints from many here; and I liked their theme song perhaps better than the always great ESPN one!

Remember when the Seattle draft surprisingly drew better than Cubs-Cardinals months ago even though airing on ESPN2? Sure, the baseball game was non-exclusive, but those legendary teams could only draw less than 700,000 on ESPN in the meat of their schedule. Since there will be so few ESPN NHL games this year vs. what NBCSN aired, they'll likely feel more special or more appointment viewing, thus maybe some games could hit 600,000+ regularly. There won't be as many of those NBCSN early-season games which usually diluted interest and ratings since they weren't as special as fewer ESPN games will be. That'll be a good rating when compared to some of the MLB lower-rated games.

Was it the Lake Tahoe game last year postponed to night the next calendar day that drew 1.1 million or so NBCSN's biggest regular-season rating ever?

I don’t think missing Crosby or Malkin cost them 100,000 viewers that is a lot and people don’t typically turn on a game to watch individual players. A star players value is on how good they make the teams. This was opening night so even how good the teams are is less of a factor.

I could be wrong but I believe when they say digital viewers not included those are people watching through espn+, peacock, watch espn app, nbc sports app before that don’t get the same ads. Someone watching on something like internet cable service like youtubetv or watch fubo I think are measured by Neilsen.

as far as ESPN’s games moving forward it will be interesting. There is an “espn bump” but if you look at their schedule moving forward all of their games are on busy nights of the schedule with a lot of local games competing on it. That may dilute things as fans may opt to watch their local team. NBCSN’s best numbers came on nights where it was virtually the only game on in the US. ESPN doesn’t have those exclusive windows.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
I don’t think missing Crosby or Malkin cost them 100,000 viewers that is a lot and people don’t typically turn on a game to watch individual players. A star players value is on how good they make the teams. This was opening night so even how good the teams are is less of a factor.

I could be wrong but I believe when they say digital viewers not included those are people watching through espn+, peacock, watch espn app, nbc sports app before that don’t get the same ads. Someone watching on something like internet cable service like youtubetv or watch fubo I think are measured by Neilsen.

as far as ESPN’s games moving forward it will be interesting. There is an “espn bump” but if you look at their schedule moving forward all of their games are on busy nights of the schedule with a lot of local games competing on it. That may dilute things as fans may opt to watch their local team. NBCSN’s best numbers came on nights where it was virtually the only game on in the US. ESPN doesn’t have those exclusive windows.
Hmm...I wonder why ESPN or TNT didn't mandate an exclusive night like NBCSN's Wednesday Night Hockey?

Maybe such exclusivity severely impacts flexibility of scheduling for other teams, which the NHL may like to avoid.

After all, I assume most teams would likely prefer a Wednesday home game vs. a Monday or Tuesday; and weren't most Tuesday nights in recent years full of games followed by a light Wednesday? Those Tuesday games could have been played before a larger crowd on a Wednesday?

Haven't checked, but maybe Wednesday now has many games this year. With NBCSN, I think Canadian teams could still get Wednesday games but not other American teams during Wednesday Night hockey. Or was it just one game that night, period? Hmm...now I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad