NHL TV ratings 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Hmm...I wonder why ESPN or TNT didn't mandate an exclusive night like NBCSN's Wednesday Night Hockey?

Maybe such exclusivity severely impacts flexibility of scheduling for other teams, which the NHL may like to avoid.

After all, I assume most teams would likely prefer a Wednesday home game vs. a Monday or Tuesday; and weren't most Tuesday nights in recent years full of games followed by a light Wednesday? Those Tuesday games could have been played before a larger crowd on a Wednesday?

Haven't checked, but maybe Wednesday now has many games this year. With NBCSN, I think Canadian teams could still get Wednesday games but not other American teams during Wednesday Night hockey. Or was it just one game that night, period? Hmm...now I can't remember.

Part of it this year may be having to compressed a schedule because of both Covid and the olympics. Wednesdaya are still fairly light as Sportsnet still has exclusivity that day of the week in Canada for the 7pm slot. If you look at the schedule Wednesdays in the second half (when TNT does doubleheader’s post AEW move) are mostly the Sportsnet game, the TNT slate and maybe one extra night slot. Tuesdays/Thursdays are the traditional heavy schedule nights in the league, so probably difficult to clear those for ESPN.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
I had a lot of fun watching TNT's studio team, I laughed the hardest at just how much larger Chuck was when he was sitting in the chair next to Gretzky. Just wish my Rangers put up more of a fight
Seems intermission will now be almost must see! Who would've ever thought? (But I still did manage to enjoy Kathryn and Liam and the others most of the time on NBC(SN).)

Maybe even a thread dedicated to what's talked about or joked about during intermissions on these national games could be added if necessary, now or later.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
3NHL REGULAR SEASON L: NY RANGERS/WASHINGTONTURNER NETWORK TELEVISION7:40 PM1540.32817
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
21NHL REGULAR SEASON L: CHICAGO/COLORADOTURNER NETWORK TELEVISION10:14 PM1590.17522
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
28NHL RS PREGAMETURNER NETWORK TELEVISION7:00 PM400.15430
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
147NHL RS POSTGAMETURNER NETWORK TELEVISION12:53 AM300.03128
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Numbers from the debut of the NHL on TNT

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-10-14_16-43-1.png

Reactions: saffronleaf

4mats4

Sep 15, 2019
3NHL REGULAR SEASON L: NY RANGERS/WASHINGTONTURNER NETWORK TELEVISION7:40 PM1540.32817
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
21NHL REGULAR SEASON L: CHICAGO/COLORADOTURNER NETWORK TELEVISION10:14 PM1590.17522
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
28NHL RS PREGAMETURNER NETWORK TELEVISION7:00 PM400.15430
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
147NHL RS POSTGAMETURNER NETWORK TELEVISION12:53 AM300.03128
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Numbers from the debut of the NHL on TNT
Really solid numbers for day 2! Much better product from both ESPN and TNT! Once TNT gets the 7pm Wednesday timeslot back starting next season we could see a very solid increase in regular season ratings!

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Awesome start, especially with baseball playoffs in full swing. Curious to see what it looks like once NBA starts.

Well ESPN will get no games after the 26 until january and TNT has only games at 10 also until january so the ratings are going down probably for a while but the finish of the season should be intresting

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
How many times has the “second night” had national televised games?

Not that the numbers are bad, they compare favorably to NBCSN’s numbers. Just taking a shot at how these things are framed. The comparison could be like 1 or two games.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Awesome start, especially with baseball playoffs in full swing. Curious to see what it looks like once NBA starts.

My thoughts as well the start was always gonna get off hot with the new move to Turner and back with ESPN people were gonna tune in. It's the honeymoon phase. IMO more telling even besides the NBA starting and grabbing away attention especially with ESPN will be year 2 and 3. As much as the last 1 1/2 seasons have been outliers this year will be one as well on the more positive side. The hope is that the first few games usher a new era of NHL popularity only time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkrdevil

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
How many times has the “second night” had national televised games?

Not that the numbers are bad, they compare favorably to NBCSN’s numbers. Just taking a shot at how these things are framed. The comparison could be like 1 or two games.

I can't remember many if any we are really in kind of new windows as far as comparisons, lots of variables new deal with new broadcasters, nostalgia, coming off COVID. As they say in politics with polling A LOT of noise right now, I think that these are positives but yeah lets go with the wait and see approach we are mainly taking right now on the board. I actually listened to that Sports Media Watch Podcast that someone posted talking about the NHL new deal and viewership and they were spot on sort of echoed this is the "honeymoon period".

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Are at least some of the games on ESPN, TNT, and/or TBS blacked out in the territories of the participating teams?

All of ESPN and Turner’s broadcasts (that they produce obviously) are exclusive to them (I.e no shared regional coverage).

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
At least ESPN, TNT and TBS are more widely available than NBCSN (which will soon shut down).

Not as much as you think. NBCSN is in about 79 million homes, ESPN is about 86 million (as of two years ago so the numbers may be closer), TNT in the most with 89 million.

Post Comcast-NBC merger NBCSN has been on the most popular tier with most cable systems, particularly after it added the Premier League and NASCAR to join hockey (obviously hockey left which is the biggest reason it is closing down).

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
TNT largely has 10PM ET games the next 2 months, there will be a drop.

Yes but TNT will have the AEW lead in that has been steady at one million for some weeks now that's a lot more that what they got at NBCSN. I do agree that there will be a drop.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
12NHL REGULAR SEASON L: NY ISLANDERS/CHICAGOESPN8:00 PM1640.21558
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Numbers from last night

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Why doesn't the NHL do what the NBA does and give ESPN/TNT exclusive nights rather than having 10 other games playing? Last week they did that on ESPN and the numbers were good. I bet the TNT numbers will be better tonight than ESPNs.

On a side note the NBA has definitely surpassed the MLB in America when regular season NBA game 1 of 82 is barely beaten out by both ALCS and NLCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad