Speculation: NHL trade deadline

What will the Blackhawks do on the April 12th Trade Deadline?

• Total voters

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'd much rather have Carpenter than a fourth going into next year. Janmark I'd like to bring back but only if he's signing a reasonable deal.

I think we'll be sellers because this team is playing over it's head. Lankinen is likely to come crashing down to earth and we've got nothing but kids and a bunch of guys playing up the lineup. This roster is just missing too many key pieces.

I don't think they are going to be sellers because teams aren't going to be interested in what the Hawks are selling. The few pieces they have, their value to the team is higher than their value in a trade. Like you said, I'd rather have Carpenter than a fourth. Prefer to bring Janmark back on a reasonable deal, than have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The rest of the disposable assets like Soderberg, De Haan, etc., have almost no value.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't think they are going to be sellers because teams aren't going to be interested in what the Hawks are selling. The few pieces they have, their value to the team is higher than their value in a trade. Like you said, I'd rather have Carpenter than a fourth. Prefer to bring Janmark back on a reasonable deal, than have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The rest of the disposable assets like Soderberg, De Haan, etc., have almost no value.
Difference between not selling much because you're a junk yard and not looking to sell. Scrap might not move, but scrappers are still looking to sell.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see Toews or Dach back before the end of the season.
Shaw who knows, might be time to sit out.
Seabrook is done for his career/year.
If their out then sell what you can. Resign janmark if you can/although I am a fan of trading then resigning him.
Still don’t want to rush young players just for the hell of it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Difference between not selling much because you're a junk yard and not looking to sell. Scrap might not move, but scrappers are still looking to sell.

If you can't sell your scrap, can you be considered a seller? :laugh:

I don't think the Hawks will be sellers, because there's not going to be any value to be had at the TDL this season. I'm sure they will listen if teams come calling, but I highly doubt you see them actively pursuing trades and putting names out there. Assuming they aren't completely out of the race, that is.

Your sellers at the trade deadline typically have valuable UFAs that teams will want to acquire to push them over the top. The Hawks just don't have that.

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
If hawks are in playoff hunt i would add scoring winger that won't mortgage the future .I think it's important to have the youth get some playoff experience and try and keep a winning culture and give the vets a playoff run and chance at competing for cup

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
He's a really versatile middle six forward. If he's willing to stay at a reasonable rate he's absolutely a guy you want back. He can play wherever you slot him.
agreed however he is going to be looking for a long term deal. He wanted out of Dallas as he was not given the opportunity to play in a more offensive role and my guess is that he has signed a one year deal with the hawks to put up some decent offensive numbers so that he can justify his next contract. He is 28 so his next deal is likely going to be a very important contract for him, he likely looks for a longer term deal and at the highest salary he can get.

I like him but not sure that the hawks should offer him what he will want/demand

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
agreed however he is going to be looking for a long term deal. He wanted out of Dallas as he was not given the opportunity to play in a more offensive role and my guess is that he has signed a one year deal with the hawks to put up some decent offensive numbers so that he can justify his next contract. He is 28 so his next deal is likely going to be a very important contract for him, he likely looks for a longer term deal and at the highest salary he can get.

I like him but not sure that the hawks should offer him what he will want/demand
That's why I included the reasonable caveat. If he's looking to sign for three years at 2.5 million per? Welcome to the third line! If he's looking to get paid? I'll gladly take a late second.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
upload_2021-2-14_9-58-31.png

Suprisingly little difference between 2nd round and 3rd round.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
View attachment 396242

Suprisingly little difference between 2nd round and 3rd round.

I believe those simplified probabilities are just for playing in the NHL. I like his graph that shows the percentage of picks that went on to play 100+ games a bit better. A guy playing a handful of games in the NHL is fairly useless. Much better indicator is games played.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
I believe those simplified probabilities are just for playing in the NHL. I like his graph that shows the percentage of picks that went on to play 100+ games a bit better. A guy playing a handful of games in the NHL is fairly useless. Much better indicator is games played.
upload_2021-2-14_10-25-33.png

Same difference.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
So at the TDL what do you get for:

Janmark
Wallmark
DeHann
Soderberg
Strome

Janmark and Soderberg are tradeable. Depending on how the season goes 2-4th rounders. Soderberg especially has a lot of value if he keeps playing this way.

Wallmark hasn't shown anything mo than a guy yet.

De Haan's contract is too rich with too much term for a cup contender who would be unsure whether they could dump it next year. However, be may be an option for a team who has a injury hole of a more expensive player.

Strome, no buyer is looking for a centre who was invisible in the playoffs last time. He's more of an offseason trade.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I think Janmark is playing at an unsustainable level to a price point he is going to ask for on a multi year contract. He will certainly fall off and while I like he style of play and hard nose to fight for pucks and put his beak over the net, he's in his late 20s and isnt really in the youth movement wheelhouse albeit not old either.

I think you take his play as a blessing to help continue to get the team culture right, but he is playing his way into getting the hawks another premium asset for the rebuild. If anything, trade him at the deadline and tell him you want to re-sign him in the offseason if he really wants to come back

I just think it would be a mistake to pass on moving him, missing out on the TDL return, and extending him back only to disappoint on a new deal with the ink still fresh

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think Janmark is playing at an unsustainable level to a price point he is going to ask for on a multi year contract. He will certainly fall off and while I like he style of play and hard nose to fight for pucks and put his beak over the net, he's in his late 20s and isnt really in the youth movement wheelhouse albeit not old either.

I think you take his play as a blessing to help continue to get the team culture right, but he is playing his way into getting the hawks another premium asset for the rebuild. If anything, trade him at the deadline and tell him you want to re-sign him in the offseason if he really wants to come back

I just think it would be a mistake to pass on moving him, missing out on the TDL return, and extending him back only to disappoint on a new deal with the ink still fresh

Fair points, but I would like to see what he's looking for on an extension. It's not exactly a great time to be a free agent.

What's funny about Janmark is that his fancy stats are abysmal, but he's producing this season. In Dallas it was exactly the opposite. So strange.:laugh:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Fair points, but I would like to see what he's looking for on an extension. It's not exactly a great time to be a free agent.

What's funny about Janmark is that his fancy stats are abysmal, but he's producing this season. In Dallas it was exactly the opposite. So strange.:laugh:
I think similarly to his contract asks, it depends on what the market it offering for him and what kind of demand he generates based on his production by then

if someone offers a 1st or better (unlikely but who knows) I think you drive him to the airport before you hang up the phone

if it's a 2nd or better, Hawks are listening

if it's a 3rd or combination of worse assets Hawks shouldn't bother because that's less likely to help down the line than just holding on to him and extending him

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Focusing on the return, and knowing that the Hawks are likely to get some picks if they sell, what would you want bottom line if you were running the Hawks show? I would be looking for another stay-at-home d sized like Zadorov to complement all the skilled d talent that the Hawks have developed. One more 6-2+ d with a little more talent than Z whose corner opponents will fear venturing into. If Lank continues rounding into a no. 1 and Z plays a moderately punishing style, one more big stay-at-home d with a slight skill upgrade over Z will make the Hawks really tough to play against, and will make the Hawks a complete hockey team, perhaps moreso than their cup-winning teams. To add a cherry on top, if the Hawks could find one more wheels player like Hagel to play in the bottom six, and focus on a speedy forechecking game, the Hawks would really be entertaining to watch.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Focusing on the return, and knowing that the Hawks are likely to get some picks if they sell, what would you want bottom line if you were running the Hawks show? I would be looking for another stay-at-home d sized like Zadorov to complement all the skilled d talent that the Hawks have developed. One more 6-2+ d with a little more talent than Z whose corner opponents will fear venturing into. If Lank continues rounding into a no. 1 and Z plays a moderately punishing style, one more big stay-at-home d with a slight skill upgrade over Z will make the Hawks really tough to play against, and will make the Hawks a complete hockey team, perhaps moreso than their cup-winning teams. To add a cherry on top, if the Hawks could find one more wheels player like Hagel to play in the bottom six, and focus on a speedy forechecking game, the Hawks would really be entertaining to watch.

A big dman with more skill than Zadorov? Why not just give Zadorov a chance and see if he could be that dman you want? Zadorov cost Saad's last contract year with salary retained.

I'm not sure we want to give up what a better Zadorov would cost. Like I'm trying to think who would even fit that.

A team that has a player in their third pair who should be in their second pair but there's no room so they're available or a rebuilding team that wants to trade a guy whose a little too old to fit in the rebuild?

You're probably asking for a Connor Murphy caliber player? A Jake Muzzin would be too expensive both in AAV and what it would take to get him. His contract is $5.6M and he netted a first rounder plus for the Kings.

If you have Zadorov, de Haan and Murphy you don't really have space for another stay at home dman. Someone's gonna have to move pucks.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
A big dman with more skill than Zadorov? Why not just give Zadorov a chance and see if he could be that dman you want? Zadorov cost Saad's last contract year with salary retained.

I'm not sure we want to give up what a better Zadorov would cost. Like I'm trying to think who would even fit that.

A team that has a player in their third pair who should be in their second pair but there's no room so they're available or a rebuilding team that wants to trade a guy whose a little too old to fit in the rebuild?

You're probably asking for a Connor Murphy caliber player? A Jake Muzzin would be too expensive both in AAV and what it would take to get him. His contract is $5.6M and he netted a first rounder plus for the Kings.

If you have Zadorov, de Haan and Murphy you don't really have space for another stay at home dman. Someone's gonna have to move pucks.
Only stan can turn Saad plus salary retained into Zodorov, only Stan can turn Panarin plus salary retained into Zodorov, I am sure Stan will turn Zodorov into some cap dump player eventually coming our way. The scouts keep getting all these players to keep Stan afloat and he keeps destroying this team through this pathetic trades, keep the scouts and get rid of this clown.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00