Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pearson and a 1st for Zuccarello and Claesson
Re-sign Zuccarello for $5.5 million a year
Kessel to Nashville at the draft for Fiala and a 1st

How would people feel about these moves?

Reactions: Trade

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Barring a miracle we're not gonna go far this year. I think we should be sellers, or at least gain picks and prospects without losing any. There are too many good teams for us to overcome. If JR goes all in he could cripple this team for quite some time.

Reactions: DegenX

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
That's one season, when Saad yes had a poor season, but was also playing on one of the worst teams in the league vs Kessel having a career year on one of the top teams in the league. Take a bigger sample size (3, 4, 5 years) and suddenly the difference is pretty minimal. Then you start adding in age, contract, two way play, physical game and things get murkier.

14/15-18/19
PK: 389 games, 205 ES pts
BS: 383 games, 198 ES pts

16/17-18-19
PK: 225 games, 127 ES pts
BS: 223 games, 112 ES pts

Look, I'm not saying that this is a move I'd do as I am a big fan of having other skilled player's on this team. But I think it's a lot closer then what you're suggesting.

Having someone like Saad for example also open's up the options of being able to move Hornqvist in the future if we felt the need to do so. Currently we have no one internally who is going to replace him. Bottom line, there's a lot more that should go into this then just points.

I'm with you, it is murky. Horny replacement being Saad, I have no issues with at all. Horny has been bleh.
Kessel's upside is an over PPG player
Saad is 2 way play

26 vs 31 years old (BS is favored)
6m vs 6.8m (negligible)
Two way play (BS)
Power-Play (PK)
Physical game (if you mean Hits + Blocked Shots) is really negligible

Kessel sole purpose on our team is Points. He is one dimensional in that way. Throwing away PK's PP points, is like throwing away BS's possession stats.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think any trade for a UFA shouldn't include our first.

You're also acquiring him with the plan of re-signing him, I imagine that you wouldn't trade for him if he said he was 100% going to explore free agency. I don't think you can sign him now due to tagging rules, so it can't be a sign and trade.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Barring a miracle we're not gonna go far this year. I think we should be sellers, or at least gain picks and prospects without losing any. There are too many good teams for us to overcome. If JR goes all in he could cripple this team for quite some time.

This team will be crippled when Crosby and Malkin are done anyway. They have a few more years to compete for a cup so why not use your first to get a player that can contribute for the next few years.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This team will be crippled when Crosby and Malkin are done anyway. They have a few more years to compete for a cup so why not use your first to get a player that can contribute for the next few years.
Such as? Because the players being talked about primarily are rentals and won''t be here long term.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So Columbus now has two forwards who kill us. And the Caps added a D-man we really could have used.

Sweet.

We might not play either of them in the playoffs or even make the playoffs for that matter so I'm less worried about what other teams do and more worried about what JR does before now and Monday.

Reactions: Riptide

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR gave Olli an extension going into his RFA with pending shoulder surgery, thyroid issues and still with all that gave him that deal. that was a hoke to me. So unnecessary at that point. kessel fell into his lap and hags with a 4 year 4 million hit was a bit rich. Now he signs JJ with a deal that no one in their right mind does. Add to that the risk of a physical forward at nearly 30 with more and more health issues and 5 years at 5 million. Gives away a second for a goalie that the LV knights were taking anyway. Now he has done some very good deals but for the most part. The killer was the Brassard deal. He has to go. This team needs to retool badly with younger players with upside.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Wish we had gotten him. That's a great deal

Solid value but feels really premature considering he hasn't even played a game there yet.

Then again that makes it no different from a UFA signing in that respect.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
We might not play either of them in the playoffs or even make the playoffs for that matter so I'm less worried about what other teams do and more worried about what JR does before now and Monday.

But we have 3 games left with them during the regular season, those 3 games could determine who makes the playoffs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This team looks more and more like early 2015. A bunch of names with no clear cut advantage over playoff teams. And to make things worse, Sid is playing as well as he can and he's not close to a scoring title.

This aint' a few years ago where our star players could carry us. We're seriously in danger of missing the playoffs with Sid and Letang having great seasons.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
OK the Caps signing him to that contract pisses me right off. That is a steal, and they'll have him playing on that deal for the exact same term we have Johnson at 3.25.

Jensen has been a brilliant analytics/small sample size guy for a few years. This year they finally gave him the ice time, and he's been even better. This is a huge and clever addition to the Capitals and it sucks for us. This is Kempny 2.0.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
This team looks more and more like early 2015. A bunch of names with no clear cut advantage over playoff teams. And to make things worse, Sid is playing as well as he can and he's not close to a scoring title.

This aint' a few years ago where our star players could carry us. We're seriously in danger of missing the playoffs with Sid and Letang having great seasons.

I keep on having bad vibes that we are on the same path as the Kings were last year.

They squeak into the playoffs and get swept by Vegas, then they come back this year and are one of the worst teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad