GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
JR said today that he still doesnt know if Maatta will be back by the playoffs. Regardless of that, he doesnt think adding a D is a need. So theres that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wonder if Hags goes to Caps?

On one hand, that would suck to see Hagelin in a Capitals jersey. On the other hand, he sucks at this point, so it would be nice to see the Capitals add a bad player :laugh:

JR said today that he still doesnt know if Maatta will be back by the playoffs. Regardless of that, he doesnt think adding a D is a need. So theres that.

I'm thinking it's more and more likely that the Penguins just won't be doing anything at the deadline.

Reactions: 66-30-33

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

That's as encouraging as last year when he traded off Ian Cole and stood pat on defense, saying he didn't think there was a need.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I can find sense in most things Rutherford says, but that's actually mental if he's being honest.

On one hand, that would suck to see Hagelin in a Capitals jersey. On the other hand, he sucks at this point, so it would be nice to see the Capitals add a bad player :laugh:

Leaving aside that dramatic irony is more powerful than actual talent and will cause this to bite us spectacularly, the thought of our dmen trying to escape a Hagelin forecheck isn't pretty.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If he does and he blows by Jack Johnson and suddenly rediscovers his hands as he buries a series winner, I can think of someone here-- cough, @ColePens, cough-- who might lose his **** permanently. :D

I sort of laugh when people talk up Hags the way they do. I love the guy. I think he was perfect for what we needed... but he was sat/4th lined in the 2017 playoffs where EVERYONE was hurt. He couldn't buy goals that were set up on a platter for him by G for about a full year. He was responsible defensively and that was really it.

There is a reason this guy goes all around the NHL. 1-2 years and on to the next one to use his speed.

Reactions: ncm7772

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
That's as encouraging as last year when he traded off Ian Cole and stood pat on defense, saying he didn't think there was a need.

:banghead: I bet theres fireworks this offseason then, after the inevitable playoff exit.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Leaving aside that dramatic irony is more powerful than actual talent and will cause this to bite us spectacularly, the thought of our dmen trying to escape a Hagelin forecheck isn't pretty.

I don't think it would be any different than if the Penguins were dealing with speed from any other player, tbh. Hagelin isn't good anymore, so while his speed is a threat, that's about the only "threat" he provides at this point.

I don't think there would be any difference in threat level if you were playing say DiPauli vs the Penguins defense compared to Hagelin.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I sort of laugh when people talk up Hags the way they do. I love the guy. I think he was perfect for what we needed... but he was sat/4th lined in the 2017 playoffs where EVERYONE was hurt. He couldn't buy goals that were set up on a platter for him by G for about a full year. He was responsible defensively and that was really it.

There is a reason this guy goes all around the NHL. 1-2 years and on to the next one to use his speed.

Oh I know . . .

That said, we both know the one time he'd find his hands would be after he blew by Jack Johnson on a breakaway, because . . . well, it's the only way to see which one of us Jack Johnson will kill first. :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Yeah that was a concerning comment. I just hope that it was a comment made to show he's not desperate to make a deal... not really sure I believe that, but that's about the best one can hope for.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think it would be any different than if the Penguins were dealing with speed from any other player, tbh. Hagelin isn't good anymore, so while his speed is a threat, that's about the only "threat" he provides at this point.

And the Pens deal poorly with speed from the opposition, so that'll probably go poorly.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh I know . . .

That said, we both know the one time he'd find his hands would be after he blew by Jack Johnson on a breakaway, because . . . well, it's the only way to see which one of us Jack Johnson will kill first. :laugh:

Which is more likely:

1. Hagelin getting his hands back
2. Kunitz getting his legs back
3. Johnson getting his offense back

I'm honestly not sure which one I'd say is most likely :laugh:

And the Pens deal poorly with speed from the opposition, so that'll probably go poorly.

The trade I've seen thrown out is Jaskin for Hagelin, which isn't much of an increase in speed. I don't think adding Hagelin would really move the needle much for Washington, they'd only get a little bit faster by going from Jaskin to him. I think the problem with the Capitals adding Hagelin is while they'll get faster and more responsible defensively, they're likely getting worse offensively and they've had problems with depth scoring in the past.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh I know . . .

Jack Johnson will not kill this current team. The team will lose because they aren't committed to playing team defense. Whatever it is, it isn't working. Now... I do think JJ could lose us a game, which could turn around a series, but as of right now the team defense will kill us first.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Which is more likely:

1. Hagelin getting his hands back
2. Kunitz getting his legs back
3. Johnson getting his offense back

I'm honestly not sure which one I'd say is most likely :laugh:

The trade I've seen thrown out is Jaskin for Hagelin, which isn't much of an increase in speed. I don't think adding Hagelin would really move the needle much for Washington, they'd only get a little bit faster by going from Jaskin to him.

Hags for sure. Kunitz is done. I can say with 100% fact that JJ is never getting offense back and I don't even believe he ever had it. He's afraid to skate a puck even 5 feet. He dishes it to his partner every single time. He's literally afraid to skate.

I want a RH dman so badly. I want to run 3 and 3 LHD/RHD. And I like Ruh as a 7, but he's not a 6. We've seen that before. Nick Jensen would be decent depth. I would have dabbled with Beaulieu because he's unhappy but we just don't need a LHD/LD right now.

Reactions: Peat

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Jack Johnson will not kill this current team. The team will lose because they aren't committed to playing team defense. Whatever it is, it isn't working. Now... I do think JJ could lose us a game, which could turn around a series, but as of right now the team defense will kill us first.
perfect distillation of our current position

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hags for sure. Kunitz is done. I can say with 100% fact that JJ is never getting offense back and I don't even believe he ever had it. He's afraid to skate a puck even 5 feet. He dishes it to his partner every single time. He's literally afraid to skate.

I want a RH dman so badly. I want to run 3 and 3 LHD/RHD. And I like Ruh as a 7, but he's not a 6. We've seen that before. Nick Jensen would be decent depth. I would have dabbled with Beaulieu because he's unhappy but we just don't need a LHD/LD right now.

This sounds like a job for Ben Lovejoy :sarcasm:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm not sure Hagelin is any less done than Kunitz is at this point. You're basically talking about 3 impossible scenarios, so I don't blame you for taking that one. I just honestly think Hagelin isn't in the league by 2020.

Jensen is a guy I really want them to target. He's cheap enough with the cap where you don't have to ship anyone out, and he's a rental so you can let him walk after the year. Detroit is thin with goalie prospects, so you could probably get him for Jarry relatively easy (although using Jarry for a rental is questionable asset management).

This sounds like a job for Ben Lovejoy :sarcasm:

If it would work with the cap, I'd be completely in support of bringing back Lovejoy.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Agree on team defense with this added note: Part of the problem is that a lot of how well Sully teams play team defense is predicated on the opponent not having the puck.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Exactly. The forwards rarely are committed as they should be to supporting. Nor doing the work needed. And do not get called out for it enough.

Not that the defense and specific defensemen do not deserve criticism. But forwards share responsibility for defense and support just like defensemen are a big part of the offensive equation. The team as a whole is out of synch way too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad