GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
OK the Caps signing him to that contract pisses me right off. That is a steal, and they'll have him playing on that deal for the exact same term we have Johnson at 3.25.

Jensen has been a brilliant analytics/small sample size guy for a few years. This year they finally gave him the ice time, and he's been even better. This is a huge and clever addition to the Capitals and it sucks for us. This is Kempny 2.0.

Not surprised. Caps have killed it in terms of additions the last few years while JR is out there throwing huge term and money at reclamation projects like Oleksiak, Jack Johnson, and Matt Hunwick.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I have never been that impressed by Jensen, but seeing how well Kempny has adjusted to the Capitals’ system might, it is not out of the possibility of Jensen having similar success.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We can go back and forth on who is right or wrong on whether making a move this deadline on what looks like a rotten corpse of a dysfunctional team is wise. But does it really matter if the GM is out to lunch and adamant about sticking to his guns on the JJ issue? Because I feel like just about any move made is mitigated easily with that turd's presence in the punch bowl.

I don't think this group has it in them. The team is far too flawed and there isn't enough time or assets to fix it. It blows because Crosby and Letang (notice I'm leaving a name off here) are clearly still capable. But hey... object lesson on how quickly things can fall apart. Now feels like the time to really, really start thinking seriously about the future. But with these dingleberries at the helm... geez.

But hey... just remembered... we have a brokedown Craig Patrick in the FO again! Backup plan!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
FWIW TIOPS is saying the Pens 1st rounder is in play

I already jacked it to their headline of us and Philly talking a Pearson and Simmons deal. Unlikely but damn.

If Nashville, Boston, and Toronto are inquiring into Kreider (as reported by Larry Brooks...grain of salt), we sure as hell ought to be.

I think the price tag would be a little different for us though. One possible scenario though...and hear me out...Kreider for Hornqvist.

Pearson and a 1st for Zuccarello and Claesson
Re-sign Zuccarello for $5.5 million a year
Kessel to Nashville at the draft for Fiala and a 1st

How would people feel about these moves?

I have trouble seeing Nashville saying yes but if thats the chain of events, I say yes too. With Fiala though we have a gluttony of middle 6 wings. Choices to make after that...

GMJR gave Olli an extension going into his RFA with pending shoulder surgery, thyroid issues and still with all that gave him that deal. that was a hoke to me. So unnecessary at that point. kessel fell into his lap and hags with a 4 year 4 million hit was a bit rich. Now he signs JJ with a deal that no one in their right mind does. Add to that the risk of a physical forward at nearly 30 with more and more health issues and 5 years at 5 million. Gives away a second for a goalie that the LV knights were taking anyway. Now he has done some very good deals but for the most part. The killer was the Brassard deal. He has to go. This team needs to retool badly with younger players with upside.

Somewhere mixed in there are two Stanley Cups...

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
OK the Caps signing him to that contract pisses me right off. That is a steal, and they'll have him playing on that deal for the exact same term we have Johnson at 3.25.

Jensen has been a brilliant analytics/small sample size guy for a few years. This year they finally gave him the ice time, and he's been even better. This is a huge and clever addition to the Capitals and it sucks for us. This is Kempny 2.0.
Jensen shoots right handed, is younger and makes a lot less money than Johnson. Plus the caps now have Hags and the pens are paying for some of his salary to play against them. Great week for Washington over the pens.

Reactions: JackFr and Turin

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think the price tag would be a little different for us though. One possible scenario though...and hear me out...Kreider for Hornqvist.

I don't think NYR is at all interested in acquiring 30+ year old vets at this point, but I may be wrong.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I find pleasure in reading the Capitals board and almost every other post is something in regards to the Penguins.

It’s nice to know that we hurt a fanbase so much for them to talk about us every chance they get.

In regards to this the Jensen trade, I don’t know him nor ever heard of him. Played on a god awful team so no one has a clue how good or bad he truly is.

Not a bad contract to give although he older. People worry too much about a 5/6 dman. He has a better contract than Johnson but who cares at this point?

You guys act like signing/trading guys automatically clinches Stanley Cups. The Capitals have 1 Stanley cup in what? 65 years? We should know first hand that you don’t win anything from making trades. We blew after getting Brassard last year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not surprised. Caps have killed it in terms of additions the last few years while JR is out there throwing huge term and money at reclamation projects like Oleksiak, Jack Johnson, and Matt Hunwick.

I'm starting to wonder if JR even knows what to look for when building a defense corps.

I look at that 2006 Carolina defense, and then look at the 2016 and 2017 Pens defenses who were a Letang away from looking very similar to that 2006 Canes defense, and wonder if JR even puts any sort of priority into the defense. It's like he tries to stack the forwards and hope they can out-score the opposition and get stellar goaltending to cover up for the defensive miscues.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I’m thankful that I got to watch my team win 5 Stanley Cups in my life so far.

I couldn’t even imagine this place if those didn’t happen. We have a fan base of insufferable people given what this franchise has done.

Reactions: ncm7772

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
OTT is approaching the cap floor, if they trade stone they will be under it. Would they be willing to take some cap dumps? Maybe attach a pick with it?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I'd be totally happy to trade a 1st for Zuccarello if the plan is to re-sign him and trade Kessel for futures this off-season. If not? Eh.
I would love Zuccarello on this team so much and we 100% need a top-6 winger and I could see him being perfect. I could honestly see Zucc being great with both Sid and Geno just cause he’s a very capable two-way player, smart and fast with great passing and a sneaky shot.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bjugstad-Geno-Zucc
Pearson-McCann-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Horny

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
Maatta/JJ-Riikola

Murray

Third line is scary cause we’d want it to be a strong D-zone% and any line with Phil on it would make me weary to use for that role.

Just grasping at straws now but damn I’d love Zucc. He’s got that spunk that could really light a fire under some of the team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
OTT is approaching the cap floor, if they trade stone they will be under it. Would they be willing to take some cap dumps? Maybe attach a pick with it?

Chances are they'd take back salary as part of any Stone deal. They'd probably prefer it to be expiring salary, though, so they don't have to deal with it beyond this year.

I don't think any of our expendable assets fit that criteria. The guys we'd likely want to move (Johnson for sure, maybe Pearson) all have term.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm starting to wonder if JR even knows what to look for when building a defense corps.

I look at that 2006 Carolina defense, and then look at the 2016 and 2017 Pens defenses who were a Letang away from looking very similar to that 2006 Canes defense, and wonder if JR even puts any sort of priority into the defense. It's like he tries to stack the forwards and hope they can out-score the opposition and get stellar goaltending to cover up for the defensive miscues.

Looks more like the 2009 Pens with grit being a focus. But agree 100%.

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
Chances are they'd take back salary as part of any Stone deal. They'd probably prefer it to be expiring salary, though, so they don't have to deal with it beyond this year.

I don't think any of our expendable assets fit that criteria. The guys we'd likely want to move (Johnson for sure, maybe Pearson) all have term.

Only reason I bring it up is because they didn't take any salary with the duchene trade. But stone is worth more IMO, so I could see them ask. Would they value Matta? Not expiring but young enough to be around for a rebuild?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Given a nice pick, they would have no problem dealing with the term. They will have no one to pay or worry about even coming close to the cap the next couple years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It seems like a lot of talk is about adding a top 6 scorer or some defense - despite JR's stated satisfaction with the latter - but is anybody satisfied with our 3rd line situation?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Looks more like the 2009 Pens with grit being a focus. But agree 100%.

Here's the thing. Is this year's team built on grit, though?

I don't agree with the idea of building around grit rather than speed and skill, but I might be less concerned if that's what JR was actually doing. But I don't even see a "gritty" team. Too many soft guys, both up front and on defense to be considered gritty.

And I think that's the issue with the roster construction as it currently is. What exactly is the identity? It's certainly not a fast team. It's not a heavy and physical team. It's kind of got a bunch of random elements of all those types, but without a clear picture of what it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->