GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
ESPN is simulcasting TSN's coverage but only if you are an ESPN+ subscriber. Last year it was free on their app. :thumbd:

NHL Network is showing primarily SportsNet's coverage with occasional NHLNet studio guys interrupting.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Different situation. Chicago hasn't made it past the 1st round since 2015 and didn't make the playoffs at all last year.

We're 2 years removed from a Cup win and took the eventual Cup winner to 6 games in the 2nd round last season despite some key injuries.

The pens winning a cup in 2016 and 2017 will have zero impact on 2019.

In 2016 we were the hottest team in the league at this time.

In 2017 I believed we finished with the 2nd or 3rd best record in the league.

In 2019 were sitting in 9th place in our own conference.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really, really do appreciate the optimism. Especially since I struggle with such things. But man... take a hard look at the team in front of you and tell me what can realistically happen today to make it even a fringe contender? Yeah yeah... Crosby... Malkin. Sorry but those two names just don't elicit the shivers and respect they once did, especially Malkin. Even if we turned the clock back... who is getting those guys the puck? What is the team identity to fall back on? Where is the goaltending you can rely on to steal you a game or two per series? Where is the defense that isn't a flaming tire fire?

There truly is nothing shameful about grabbing a fringe defenseman or two on the cheap, telling this group they are going to have to just figure it out and if they can't find it within themselves there are big changes coming in the offseason. I don't understand why everyone is eager to throw more good money after bad.

Just my .02

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Boy, the way i see some of these teams are loading up, the Pens are in deep deeeeeeep deep trouble. Guentzel, Crosby Malkin, are the only people scoring consistently in the last few.

Yeah, it's hard to feel even slightly positive about the Penguins' chances to make the playoffs. It's really starting to sink in for me.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes. He hinted that Letang has a neck injury.

DyqSKoaX4AATc2G.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There truly is nothing shameful about grabbing a fringe defenseman or two on the cheap, telling this group they are going to have to just figure it out and if they can't find it within themselves there are big changes coming in the offseason. I don't understand why everyone is eager to throw more good money after bad.

I'm as optimistic as anyone here and this is the right call to me.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If JR does nothing I expect this team to miss the playoffs not because they can’t make it but because they’ll have a mental reason not to.

I think Crosby, Malkin and at least a few others will push as hard as they are capable of pushing. They have a lot of pride and are hardwired to win.

But it won't be enough.

Honestly if these guys need to see their GM go out and toss money around at the TDL to get themselves going it's all a moot point, anyway.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps

Not so much, in 2016 the Pens had 72 points at games #62, exactly the same as this year. Didn't start the hot streak until almost mid March. Still plenty of time to put the season on the right track, they just need to put some good game together. We saw what they can do from December until mid January. If they find the spark, this team can be dangerous again.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Simon + Jarry for MJ and a 4th.

Johnson, 1st, for Boedker 50%, Ceci and 3rd.

Trade Maatta and Kessel in the off-season

I would be okay with something like that. It won't happen, but still.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

And last year we did very well too. It's not similar to Chicago right now, at all.

Reactions: Extra Texture
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad