Post-Game Talk: NHL TRADE DEADLINE - MARCH 8 - HF Bruins Discord backup is open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
100% agree.

Can’t hate people for exercising their right that THE TEAM agreed to in contract negotiations. Hell, teams use them as bargaining chips to get better contracts from their perspective (lower salary/cap hit/years).

Blame Sweeney for handing it out if anything.
Sweeney didn't hand it out either, he used it to sign a guy who who went on to win the Vezina.

Maroon-Beecher-Lauko for me. Beecher and Lauko speed makes up for Maroons lack of speed but his presence could let Lauko turn into a real prick, maybe some of that rubs off on Beecher.
Any word on how Beecher's been playing in Providence lately?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
100% agree.

Can’t hate people for exercising their right that THE TEAM agreed to in contract negotiations. Hell, teams use them as bargaining chips to get better contracts from their perspective (lower salary/cap hit/years).

Blame Sweeney for handing it out if anything.
You don’t get these players without NMC at least on earth

You gotta be pretty f***ing dumb to be a good player and not have that in your contract

Anyone blaming Sweeney for Ullmark no trade my view couldn’t balance a check book

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I didn’t know Braz needed help. He’s not a Maroon type player. More of a Coyle type.

PLD would have crippled this franchise. Don’t know what you have been reading. He’s on his third team and has an albatross of a contract.
Yeah, $8.5M hit for next 7 yrs, sitting in LA as their 3C with 14G, 14A, and not hearing glowing remarks about attitude…risky. Bs would essentially be asking him to become something he’s not shown he can be consistently.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney didn't hand it out either, he used it to sign a guy who who went on to win the Vezina.

Any word on how Beecher's been playing in Providence lately?
I sat with 2 Providence full time hockey people after game vs Leafs as guest of my friend in Legends (they were with the Mayor who many know here including Eric) and they see him every game and talk to coach and coaches - and one is actively involved with players off ice as well

I was grilling them both over all things Providence from the ASG flight of Merkulov to how’s Beecher attitude being there

Thumbs up from both on Beecher - no sulking gets along well with boys shows NHL game regularly (trust me one would call a spade a spade - doesn’t sugar coat)

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I sat with 2 Providence full time hockey people after game vs Leafs as guest of my friend in Legends (they were with the Mayor who many know here including Eric) and they see him every game and talk to coach and coaches - and one is actively involved with players off ice as well

I was grilling them both over all things Providence from the ASG flight of Merkulov to how’s Beecher attitude being there

Thumbs up from both on Beecher - no sulking gets along well with boys shows NHL game regularly (trust me one would call a spade a spade - doesn’t sugar coat)
I’m higher than most here on Beecher I think

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I liked the game Braz played against the Leafs, he was very physical and hit everything in sight. I’m hoping Maroons style rubs off on the kid.
I see the potential of PLD as a young player. He has all the tools and could blossom as a Bruin. I would have driven Ullmark out to LA and come back with PLD myself if that would have made it happen.

• At 25, he’s on his 3rd team in 4 years - Red Flag
• Just signed long term deal with LA and reportedly on the block - Red Flag
• Knocks on him from every fanbase of a team he’s been on “doesn’t seem to try” - Red Flag

I have major concerns about this player. If he wasn’t a big player with great hands, he would have been run out of the league by now. IF you can turn him around, then you have a really good top-6 center. IF you can’t, then you’re the last GM holding a huge contract in a bad game of hot potato.

IMO just not worth the risk. His negative are antithetical to the culture we’ve prided ourselves on for decades.

Reactions: Alicat and lopey

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No way. Three teams have done what you just wrote. This kid doesn’t have it. It tells you something that he’s in year one of that massive contract and LA wants to get rid of him. f*** that. Plus, we don’t know if it was PLD. I’m thinking it was someone else.

PLD is owed 31 million dollars over the next 3 seasons. We can talk about AAV all we want. Bottom line to a business is he's a 10 million dollar player the next 3 years.

The odds of the Jacobs family approving that transaction is less than zero. What sell job could Sweeney possibly make to justify that move? Especially when you consider all three of Coyle, Zacha, and Geekie have outperformed PLD this season.

Any discussion with LA definitely didn't involve Dubois. Would he even approve a trade here less than a year after signing an 8 year deal in California? Extremely doubtful. The Ullmark for Dubois rumor makes zero sense.

Reactions: chizzler

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
You don’t get these players without NMC at least on earth

You gotta be pretty f***ing dumb to be a good player and not have that in your contract

Anyone blaming Sweeney for Ullmark no trade my view couldn’t balance a check book

This isn’t how time works people. You’re arguing he went on to win a Vezina and went on to be a good player. He was signed as a solid goalie who was injury prone.

Looking at it now. It was a very good signing and kudos to Sweeney.

The point I was making is that the people who want to blame the player for using a NMC/NTC should acknowledge that Sweeney gave it to them vis-a-vis, Sweeney is just as much to blame.

These two things can’t be inextricably separated. You can also be on the side that you’re fine Sweeney gave it to him and fine Ullmark used it.

On another note. Hit me up if you need to get on the online banking train. Sitting in a dark, candle lit office with an abacus balancing a checkbook…. Antiquated :sarcasm:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Patches also invoked his NMC and cited staying near family.

Anyone who gives he or Linus shit for invoking their respected clauses needs to touch grass and examine their own priorities.

Good for them both

Good.

I hope he plays 20 years and never sniffs a cup.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This isn’t how time works people. You’re arguing he went on to win a Vezina and went on to be a good player. He was signed as a solid goalie who was injury prone.

Looking at it now. It was a very good signing and kudos to Sweeney.

The point I was making is that the people who want to blame the player for using a NMC/NTC should acknowledge that Sweeney gave it to them vis-a-vis, Sweeney is just as much to blame.

These two things can’t be inextricably separated. You can also be on the side that you’re fine Sweeney gave it to him and fine Ullmark used it.

On another note. Hit me up if you need to get on the online banking train. Sitting in a dark, candle lit office with an abacus balancing a checkbook…. Antiquated :sarcasm:
This was not at you - but others like on WEEI producer show I was listening to this morning as I typed this

I enjoy and respect you not sure it’s returned but no worries if not

I apologize you weren’t my target

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
PLD is owed 31 million dollars over the next 3 seasons. We can talk about AAV all we want. Bottom line to a business is he's a 10 million dollar player the next 3 years.

The odds of the Jacobs family approving that transaction is less than zero. What sell job could Sweeney possibly make to justify that move? Especially when you consider all three of Coyle, Zacha, and Geekie have outperformed PLD this season.

Any discussion with LA definitely didn't involve Dubois. Would he even approve a trade here less than a year after signing an 8 year deal in California? Extremely doubtful. The Ullmark for Dubois rumor makes zero sense.

You make compelling points, but PLD's NTC hasn't kicked in, yet.

Reactions: BruinDust

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
This was not at you - but others like on WEEI producer show I was listening to this morning as I typed this

I enjoy and respect you not sure it’s returned but no worries if not

I apologize you weren’t my target

I figured which was why I was just having fun with it.

And I hope you know how much I respect and appreciate you as a poster as I’ve been on this board a decade and a half now and know who to look to for solid discussion and debate.

But enough with the love fest and on to 3pm ass whooping of the flightless birds.

Reactions: sarge88

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
• At 25, he’s on his 3rd team in 4 years - Red Flag
• Just signed long term deal with LA and reportedly on the block - Red Flag
• Knocks on him from every fanbase of a team he’s been on “doesn’t seem to try” - Red Flag

I have major concerns about this player. If he wasn’t a big player with great hands, he would have been run out of the league by now. IF you can turn him around, then you have a really good top-6 center. IF you can’t, then you’re the last GM holding a huge contract in a bad game of hot potato.

IMO just not worth the risk. His negative are antithetical to the culture we’ve prided ourselves on for decades.
I would still bring him in and get him to buy into the Bruins culture. There’s very few centers out there with his size and skills. Like, none.
We are now saddled with a goalie who has already proven that he can’t handle the pressure of the playoffs. Now top that off with he now knows he’s not wanted here.
I just think it’s very unfortunate all the way around that it didn’t happen.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Good on Linus. No respect lost for him. Class act. He was smart too, Why go now when you have the summer coming up. Why disrupt your family. He knows he will be dealt more than likely and i'm sure would be agreeable to waive his NTC for a contract extension.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Good on Linus. No respect lost for him. Class act. He was smart too, Why go now when you have the summer coming up. Why disrupt your family. He knows he will be dealt more than likely and i'm sure would be agreeable to waive his NTC for a contract extension.
Well he's not getting a contract extension, at least from the Bruins. lol

This is all on Sweeney. Him handing out NMC and NTC like cotton candy at the state fair, but I guess its a ploy that gets your top FA to sign. Dam if you do, dam if you don't. Brian Burke was on NHL radio the other day and he said he absolutely hates them and never offered or gave one to a player.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I would still bring him in and get him to buy into the Bruins culture. There’s very few centers out there with his size and skills. Like, none.
We are now saddled with a goalie who has already proven that he can’t handle the pressure of the playoffs. Now top that off with he now knows he’s not wanted here.
The Kings have a very strong culture. How’s that going?

Reactions: NeelyDan

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008

He has 7 more years at 8.5m. Went through two other teams with coaches that demand a certain culture and structure in Torts, Maurice. Both of whom moved on from him due to his lack of buy in. Goes to a team with arguably more leadership than we currently have with Kopitar and Doughty and in 2/3rds of a season, while the ink is still wet on his 8 year contract, they’re allegedly willing to jettison him for a goalie with one year left on his contract?

The tea leaves here state “beware of buyers remorse” & “all yee who get me, abandon all hope, cap hell awaits.”

He will be a GM killer. It’s like musical chairs except the last GM that gets him is sitting on an electric chair.

Loved the player at the draft. Loved him in his early days in Columbus. Wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole right now unless he came with 75% retention which would never happen. And if it did, tells you everything you need to know about the player.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Maroon-Beecher-Lauko for me. Beecher and Lauko speed makes up for Maroons lack of speed but his presence could let Lauko turn into a real prick, maybe some of that rubs off on Beecher.

Lauko-Beecher-Brazeau would be the best balance of talent and physical.

Boqvist tiny and soft.
Maroon slow and useless.

Let them be 13 and 14 respectively.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
M
Lauko-Beecher-Brazeau would be the best balance of talent and physical.

Boqvist tiny and soft.
Maroon slow and useless.

Let them be 13 and 14 respectively.
1 very speedy dude (Richard Boqvist Lauko)
1 speedy dude with some size (McMuffin Beecher)
1 very big dude (Maroon Brazeau)

All dependent on match up ... I like

McMuffin Boqvist Maroon

Reactions: Eddie Munson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad